Author Topic: The new electonic CVA Muzzleloader .Anyone have one??????  (Read 1793 times)

Offline Huntz

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Avid Poster
The new electonic CVA Muzzleloader .Anyone have one??????
« on: November 30, 2009, 05:35:17 AM »
Just wondering if they are any good.Thanks,Huntz ;D
Politically Incorrect

Offline ChrisK

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Re: The new electonic CVA Muzzleloader .Anyone have one??????
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 12:17:15 PM »
the thought of electric and a muzzleloader scares me. I don't know if I could load it and feel safe about it. Maybe I am just chicken $&^!.
Chris Kiefner

Offline jy951

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (60)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 12:40:07 PM »
My friend just purchased one.  I assume you're talking about the Electra.  Seems like a very good idea.  I think it should work fine.

Offline Huntz

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 01:05:22 PM »
My friend just purchased one.  I assume you're talking about the Electra.  Seems like a very good idea.  I think it should work fine.

Yes,that is the one.They have a $100.00 rebate on them now.I am considering buying one.That comes to $275.00 for a Blued one.Cheaper than an Encore Barrel.
Politically Incorrect

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 01:24:45 PM »
Other than not being legal here, and likely in many other states such as Florida, CVA states it's weatherproof, not waterproof, so for use in foul weather it may not be the best choice. Seems to me I recollect a product review immersion test with two or three other inlines, the CVA Electra was the only rifle that failed to fire.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline jy951

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (60)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 06:48:01 PM »
I think you can get them at budsgunshop.com for a decent price.  I've also read about the immersion test.  IMHO, you don't need a muzzleloader to be water immersion proof.  A car will work reliably in the rain all the time, but it's not immersion proof.  I'm sure the Electra will work just fine in normal rain conditions.  I guess if you think you might drop it into a river or lake, then you may want it to be totally waterproof.   

Offline Huntz

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 02:25:14 PM »
Other than not being legal here, and likely in many other states such as Florida, CVA states it's weatherproof, not waterproof, so for use in foul weather it may not be the best choice. Seems to me I recollect a product review immersion test with two or three other inlines, the CVA Electra was the only rifle that failed to fire.

Tim

Thats good to know.I guess I will call up the Wi.DNR to see if they are legal here.thanks,Huntz
Politically Incorrect

Offline CB lastmanout

• Trade Count: (41)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 06:22:19 PM »
I have had an electra for about one month. Cold weather is keeping me off the range, but the few times out, the rifle showed promise. Shot best with powerbelts, 1 to 2 inch, three-shot groups at 50 yards are common . good for my old eyes. I use 2Fg loose powder (have a good supply). Not having a vent hole makes seating a greased patch/ball interesting. Compressed air lifts the ball off the powder charge like a gas strut on my hatchback window- not a good thing. A steady pressure on the ramrod for 30 seconds usually bleeds off the air, seating the ball to the charge, making it safe to fire. I cannot recomend shooting this rife with a greased patch ball. Rifled barrel is beautiful inside, sights are nice, stock has a great feel and looks to be of high quality. Have to make sure the safety is "on" before reloading. Seeing the blinking red LED while you load is worrisome ( I can see a lawsuit from someone down the road).  You want to use powerbelt bullets, sabots, or loose fitting Maxi/REAL cast bullets- the tight ones will get stuck (ask me how I know). Very easy to clean, no vent hole so your scope stays clean. I will play with it some more (nice to not need primers), but  would have never bought it without the $100 rebate. It is a very high-tech M/L probably a little too unique for the market.

Offline Buckskins & Black Powder

• Trade Count: (16)
    • Buckskins & Black Powder
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 07:06:45 PM »
why you used a patched round ball?  1:28 twist - conicals - sabots.  With a light charge you might get decent accuracy.

Offline CB lastmanout

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2010, 02:59:15 AM »
why you used a patched round ball?  1:28 twist - conicals - sabots.  With a light charge you might get decent accuracy.
  The patched balls are accurate with small charge (50 grains or less). I like them for cheap plinking, but not a good idea in this model for the reason I stated.

Offline CB lastmanout

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 03:05:38 PM »
UPDATE-- Been shooting about 60 rounds a week thru the cold weather. I get about one week out of an 9 volt battery. Bore is geared towards sabots, but I have shot 1" groups (3 shots) at 50 yards using 70-80 grains 3Fg (goex). Very clean to shoot- no blowback. You can mount a scope and it will stay clean. Ten shots is about max if you don't clean soot off the 'spark plug' using the brush supplied by CVA. If you don't ---it will not fire. Comes apart real easy and quick to clean. I am having fun, but looking back, I should have bought something else.