Author Topic: Old Weaver K-4 internal "dust"???  (Read 381 times)

Offline Plainsman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
Old Weaver K-4 internal "dust"???
« on: November 30, 2009, 04:01:53 PM »
I have an older Weaver K-4 "television" lens scope, all metal casing.  The inside of the lens looks like there is either dust or pits in the lens itself.    In the wrong light, everything looks "hazy" and it doesn't have the clear, crisp look it did 20+ years ago. 

Has anybody ever seen this before?  Is there a "fix"?

And I phoned Weaver about it roughly a year or so ago, and they won't do anything with the older scopes.

Thanks!
Plainsman :)

plainsmanscabin@yahoo.com

"Aim small, miss small!"

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Old Weaver K-4 internal "dust"???
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 05:56:27 PM »
The dublet lens are most likely beginning to separate. Cure is to have it completely disassembled by a repair shop and the lens replaced or recemented and coated which generally means ground again as well. It's really not worth the cost to repair.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Plainsman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 12:13:34 PM »
Thanks GB!!  I figured it was probably done for, but I thought if I asked here I'd be given a good opinion!  It's  a shame as it was a great scope for many years.  I've had it for over 20 years and I got it used so I could only guess as to how old it truly is!  Thanks again!
Plainsman :)

plainsmanscabin@yahoo.com

"Aim small, miss small!"

Offline bubba.50

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (151)
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 12:19:09 PM »
it really is a shame as i have the same scope w/the same problem. also an old 2.5 to 5x weaver same problem. i know a thirty dollar tasco or simmons will out perform these scopes even when in good condition but, they just don't have the same look when mounted on a nice older .22 or thutty-thutty. such is life i guess. for what it's worth, bubba.
fetch the hammer maggie-they's a bee on the baby's head!