Author Topic: Take Someone Hunting  (Read 742 times)

Offline bigbuckdown280

• Trade Count: (0)
Take Someone Hunting
« on: November 30, 2009, 06:14:18 PM »
My brother in law started showing interest in deer hunting last year, he had hunted some as a young boy but hadn't been in years. I took him some last year and he managed to kill two deer with my Abolt .280. This year he was more serious about it and decided he wanted his own rifle. Since he is a college student, and didn't want to spend alot of money, we took a trip to a local pawn shop. There on the shelf was just what we were looking for, a .30-06 synthetic stocked Handi w/ a 3-9x40 Simmons scope. After a little haggling i got them down to $199 (out the door) and we took it to the range. The previous owner had it sighted in and after a few shots it was posting 1.5" groups at 100yds. This past Friday we were in a box stand for the first time this year due to his school schedule. A few minutes before dark a small buck came onto the corn pile and he made a great shot!!! I wouldn't have been more excited if I had just shot a big 8pt. He was wild eyed and shaking after the shot, a sign that he was SUPPOSE to be there. Do yourself and someone else a favor, introduce someone to the outdoors. The smile will stay with you for days!!!
GOD, GUNS, AND GUTS

Offline Elkoholic

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Take Someone Hunting
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 06:45:12 PM »
That is what it's ALL about!!!   :D

Great story.  Congrats to both of you!!

Mike
Current Handi's: 17 HMR, 270 Ultra Comp, 223 Bull Barrel.
Barrel wish List: 22 Hornet, 7-08, 30-30, 357 Mag, 45 Long Colt for starters.   Oh, and 35 Whelen too!
Donations gladly accepted!!

Offline av-doctor

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 08:31:34 PM »
  I take my friends son (i call him my nephew) he showed interest at about 8yrs old his dad doesn't acknowledge his existence so when he asked i said sure and made a day during small game just for him to walk along,we did that for 3yrs till he turned 11 and he took his safety course.my brother and i trade off every year i have him one year he takes him the next, his third year he got a chance at a deer,a doe at 30yds put her down with 1 clean shot i think i was more excited than him.Now my own son is old enough to hunt so we swap both boys now.

I got my nephew this year trying to beat the 7pt my brother found him last year.   ;D

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 12:11:25 AM »
GREAT STORIES!!!

We ALL NEED MORE of this!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 02:54:19 AM »
   I have taken my mother deer hunting just about every year for the last 6 years. She won't go with anyone else. She has put down 3 bucks in those 6 years and we all couldn't be happier when she gets a deer.  She went 45 years without hunting and now will do it as long as she can, she loves the adrenaline rush she gets when a deer comes walking down the trail towards her. BTW, she really loves that .357 Mag Handi I gave her too. ;)

My nephews are now getting to the age where they can go out to the woods with me too. I have taken the 6 y/o out a few times for squirrel hunting and it won't be long before he wants to take the shots instead of me. :)

Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 01:00:20 PM »
All Great stories,, It's what it's all about guys! A+1 to everyone!!

What a great find on that '06 too, I remember my "starving student" day's, hunting was more than sport,,it was needed meat on the table!
found elsewhere

Offline puma4440

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 03:31:01 PM »
When my boy was 3, I'd get home from small game hunting, and he would run out the door(no shoes on of course), and climb on my bumper to look in the bed to see what I got, and he would say there's supper.

Now I take him out with me on the warmer days, not really hunting, mostly introducing him to the woods. When I get a squirrel or rabbit, he'll run up on it, poke it with his walking stick, and yell "Clean kill dad!". I'll see him getting tired, and ask him if he wants me to carry the game bag, and he always tells me no he can do it.

When small game is over, he'll gather all of the squirrel tails up, so we can send them to Mepps to get free spinners.

Offline cbourbeau32

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 04:11:49 PM »
Great story. Another one of us "good guys"
NRA Life Member, US Navy Veteran.

Oklahoma has 77 counties, Romney-77, Obama-0

I'll keep my Guns, my Freedom's and my Money.
You can keep the "Change"

Offline av-doctor

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 07:32:39 PM »
 The problem i have now is my nephew is 17 and wants to stay with one of us,my boy is 13 and now my 9yr old daughter says its her turn start going along,another one of my friends has a son 6yrs that also has a deadbeat dad wants to start going. problem is too many kids not enough adults that care about teaching them to hunt safely!