Author Topic: Which is more accurate, SKS or Ruger Mini-14, Ranch rifle?  (Read 2266 times)

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
Which is more accurate, SKS or Ruger Mini-14, Ranch rifle?
« on: December 01, 2009, 09:37:11 AM »
I have a nice Yugo SKS, have owned 2 others, Chinese and Russian.  Thinking of getting a Ruger Ranch rifle or a Mini-14.  With open sites, which would be more accurate with factory ammo at 100-200 yards?  This would be with the newer Mini's as the Ruger people changed out their worn out machinery that was used to make the older ones and their notorious mediocrity in accuracy.

Thanks.

Offline Dixie Dude

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: Which is more accurate, SKS or Ruger Mini-14, Ranch rifle?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 09:48:29 AM »
The SKS is a 7.62x39, the Mini-14 is .223.  If you compare the Ruger Mini-30, the old ones were sized for .308 caliber bullets.  Don't know about the new ones.  The SKS is sized for .311 caliber bullets, so the Mini-30 might not be as accurate as the SKS.  The Mini is to me however, more compact and lighter, and they have the Ruger scope mounting system.  Magazines are expensive especially if you get high capacity ones.  Both are easy to dissasimble for cleaning and Rugers come in stainless.  SKS's are now almost as expensive as Rugers. 

Offline R.W.Dale

• Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 11:43:20 AM »
SKS'es as expensive as the ruger mini?  On what planet?

You can buy 3 sks'es for the price of one used mini and close to four vs a new ruger.

As to accuracy over on THR I have a standing challange where I'll send the first ruger mini 14 shooter 2 boxes of ammo if they can shoot 2 groups that average under 2.5" in 3 minutes.  A month in and the prize remains unclaimed

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 12:31:29 PM »
SKS'es as expensive as the ruger mini?  On what planet?

You can buy 3 sks'es for the price of one used mini and close to four vs a new ruger.

As to accuracy over on THR I have a standing challange where I'll send the first ruger mini 14 shooter 2 boxes of ammo if they can shoot 2 groups that average under 2.5" in 3 minutes.  A month in and the prize remains unclaimed

Truth be told, my old SKS will outshoot my brother's Ruger hands down.
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline LCR

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 02:13:59 PM »
I have a nice Yugo SKS, have owned 2 others, Chinese and Russian.  Thinking of getting a Ruger Ranch rifle or a Mini-14.  With open sites, which would be more accurate with factory ammo at 100-200 yards?  This would be with the newer Mini's as the Ruger people changed out their worn out machinery that was used to make the older ones and their notorious mediocrity in accuracy.

Thanks.

I'm curious as to why you're even considering a mini when you have point blank to 300 yards covered already....twice.
The field mouse is fast, but the owl sees at night.

Offline hillbill

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 02:16:07 PM »
ive had a sks that would hit a brick everytime with iron sights at 125 yrds, i have a mini 30 that wont. ill still choose the mini 30 just because it handles so well, is just as reliable and has a detachable magazine.the mini still shoots well enuf for deer or minute of bad guy!they do cost more by far but they just feel so much better to me.if yu dont have a sks id add it to yur collection first.yu can still get sks around here for 250ish$ the mini gonna cost yu prob roun 500$ or better, yur choice.

Offline Dixie Dude

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 03:05:20 PM »
I recently returned from a gun show in Birmingham, Alabama.  Long barrelled Chinese SKS's were selling for +/-$300.  The paratrooper model was $400.  Ruger Mini-30's new are around $500.  Hillbill, the Ruger is barrelled for .308.  SKS's are .311.  If you reload, you can use standard .308 and your Ruger Mini 30 should shoot much more accurately.  I like the Mini-30's design more, but I bought my SKS's for $79 and $99 several years ago.  Yugo SKS's at the last gun show were $200.  Not many are left and with Obama's election, prices went sky-high. 

Offline R.W.Dale

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 03:29:57 PM »
I want to clarify that the only the very first runs of ruger 30's had .308 bores. Anything made after 1992 uses the correct .310" bore

Not that .002" is enough to matter at all. See the sig links for more

Offline Tonk

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009, 12:07:09 PM »
Now for starters perhaps I should take that bet but only if you up the anti savvy! I have already shot several shot groups with a new Ruger stainless Mini-14, under 2.5 inches and my wife has shot several 2 inch groups. All groups shot were with Federal Military service ammo......NOT MY RELOADS!!! I am positive I can break under that 2 inch barrier with this stainless Ruger mini-14.

I don't know where some of you people are purchasing NEW IN THE BOX RUGER MINI-14's at because the price around here is over the $700 dollar bracket for a new rifle, regardless if it is a .30 cal or .223 cal. ::)

Offline Dixie Dude

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2009, 12:12:33 PM »
I read somewhere, that the SKS was very accurate with proper reloads.  And some guys are loading them with 150 grain bullets and get the equivelant trajectory and power of 30-30. 

Offline R.W.Dale

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2009, 08:53:39 PM »
Now for starters perhaps I should take that bet but only if you up the anti savvy! I have already shot several shot groups with a new Ruger stainless Mini-14, under 2.5 inches and my wife has shot several 2 inch groups. All groups shot were with Federal Military service ammo......NOT MY RELOADS!!! I am positive I can break under that 2 inch barrier with this stainless Ruger mini-14.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=6026807&postcount=1

" I should take that bet but only if you up the anti savvy!"
step up then and don't make excuses ::)

Here's what you must do

Using Iron sights from the bench
shoot two targets at 100yds
both groups will be 5 shots
all 10 rds must be fired within 3 minutes
the average group size for the two must be under 2.5"
both "targets" must be the same and have AR15 vs Mini14 hand written on them
post pics of the targets together

Offline cjclemens

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 07:38:24 AM »
My SKS will print a slightly better group than my Mini-14.  That being said, my Mini is an older one, and it shoots about a 4" group at 100 yards.  Newer Minis should probably shoot a better than that.  I thought about accurizing my Mini, but I couldnt justify it since I have an AR.  Now the Mini just rides around in the truck in case I see a coyote.

Offline Tonk

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2009, 01:06:17 PM »
Well first of all I will NOT even try to shoot with iron sights anymore, it just is not going to happen. I am getting to long in the tooth for such frolic Whipper Snapper!  However, If you really think your AR-15 is such a great shooter, I will put up my Rock-River in .223 caliber or even give you a shot at out performing my   DSA SA 58 model FAL and just so you know up front, you better be able to do a target that measures below .750. So go put a variable scope on your blackrifle and start practicing and please do get back to us all.  ;D  ;D  ;D

Now just so you know up front, I DON'T HAVE TO DO A BLESSED THING UNDERSTAND, I have already done it when you were playing in your crib. I will shoot that .308 of mine against your blackrifle .223, you just show up with sum money Sprout!!! ::)  :D  :D  ;D

Offline R.W.Dale

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2009, 11:06:07 AM »
DSA SA 58 model FAL and just so you know up front, you better be able to do a target that measures below .750. So go put a variable scope on your blackrifle

LOL I don't need a stinking scope......check me on this but I'm pretty sure .680 is a good deal smaller than .750 isn't it?

either way there's a saying in the drag racing community. Folks who'll only race for money really don't want to race at all. It's called excuse making