Author Topic: M70 Pre '64 Fwt in 358 Questions??  (Read 1234 times)

Offline Tim50

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
M70 Pre '64 Fwt in 358 Questions??
« on: December 01, 2009, 03:56:18 PM »
I'm thinking I may move this. It is a WELL WORN M70 FWT in a very rare caliber (358 Winchester). This is NOT a collector but a Pre '64 FWT you will not worry about taking into the woods. Here is the story on this! Read it & weep!  Long before I got my hands on this rifle some yahoo cut the barrel to 19 inches...then to add insult to injury he inletted a "plastic" diamond into the stock...that was lost before I even got it! No rust...It is STILL a great rifle handles like a M70 Pre '64 Featherweight should and these is no remorse about leaning this against a tree while hunting...or losing "collectors" value! I am not sure what to ask for this rifle!..What are your thoughts?? Any input would be welcome...I live in SW Pennsylvania (Pittsburgh Area) if some one would like a first hand look see! Camera is out of service currently...Thanks for any input!!

Offline wackmaster

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: M70 Pre '64 Fwt in 358 Questions??
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 03:05:57 PM »
You are in the 300-500 daller range the rifle is ruened. The only thing its good for is some one wonting to build a rifle on a pre 64 70! So the price is basicly action only.

Offline Tonk

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 01:15:16 PM »
The barrel and stock are crap! The only thing that is really savagable is the action most likely and that is only worth around the $350 dollar area tops! ::)

Offline Harry Snippe

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 04:54:45 AM »
Well I would not be so quick as to throw out the barrel just yet . Yes the FPS is going to be a few hundred maybe less than the 22" barrel , but in the eastern bush that deer/Pig/Black bear, is not going to notice after being shot dead .
It is by far a very good black bear round!!
So shoot the rifle first . Yeah the 358 w IS NOT  A COMMOM. Ammo can be bought as winchester still loads for it , and browning and ruger still makes rifles in this chambering . Then there is a cult almost following with reloaders .
If you were up here in Ontario Canada it would be sold in a flash . @ $350  I say a steal.
Happy

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 10:53:23 AM »
I don't think it's a total loss as the rifle sounds like it's still perfectly useable as is for a hunting rifle for the kinda terrain most folks east of the big river hunt in. I do agree $350-$400 is about all it's worth but then I am terrible at putting prices on guns I don't much care for and I really don't much care for M70s as I hate that safety on them.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline mannyrock

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 12:13:00 PM »

Ok, you said that the idiot cut a diamond inlet into the stock, and the plastic diamond fell out, but you didn't say much of anything else about the condition of the stock or rifle.

Assuming that the stock has no other big defects (deep scratches, cracks, breaks, chips), and assuming that the rifle is in 95% or better condition, then I guess I would find a small piece of straight grained ebony, find a friend who is a cabinet maker or wood worker, install an ebony diamond into the hole, and then resand and refinish the entire stock, to make the stock look beautiful.  You really have no choice, since original replacement stocks for pre-64s are darned hard to find and expensive, and trying to get a Boyds or other aftermarket and starting from scratch is very expensive as well.

With the stock refinished, then you still have a white elephant, but a very nice looking one, and you may be amazed what someone will pay for it at a large gunshow.  Walk around with it at a show, let people handle it, comment upon it, heft it.   I'm betting you could get $500 or a little more from a hunter (who loves Winchesters, but not a dealer).

Regards,

Mannyrock

Offline Harry Snippe

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2009, 09:01:23 AM »
Some one forgot there is a market for a bolt action short barreled 358Winchester

Other wise why would Ruger be making them ?

There was a time when no bolt action rifles were being made and the cartridge was pretty dead until Browning continued with it in the BLR, then Ruger again offered it in their bolt actions .Sales maybe have not been brist , but with the coming of the 338 Federal interst in the 358 has in proved also .
If the barrel is good some one may see this rifle as a "Find" while you think you got a door post .
You could have the money in your pocket , a tim Hortons Coffee in your hand, and going home- here in Central Ontario before you could say here's the case to go with it.
My 02cents
Happy

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2009, 09:29:52 AM »
 ;) While I am not a fan of short rifles, if this little gem were mine, I would follow Manny's advice, and put another inlay into the stock, refinish it, put a nice scope on it and use it for brush hunting deer and bear in Pa. Lord knows you have enough of that kind of hunting....I didn't take my 358 to Pa. for deer this year but it is on the list for another season.... I bought a bunch of 358 fac. loads for my model 99, but it is a snap to reload for, and seems quite accurate inthe lever action version. I am sure it would be fine with the model 70.  You probably never heard of Francis Sell, but he was a deer/elk hunter in Ore. One of his favorite heavy cover rifles was an HVA in 358 with a 20 in. barrel... The buck will never know the diff. better a 200 grain from a 22" barrel or 19.  Especially at woods ranges......

Offline Tim50

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 05:43:23 PM »
Thanks for all the opinions & input! I am a 35 caliber nut with the 358 being my personal favorite. I think I'm just going to fix the insert in the stock & continue to use the rifle! IMO its the best handling bolt action out there and with the period Weaver K3 scope with a post & crosshair I couldn't get a decent bolt to replace this for the $$$$ that most feel it's worth! I'll just have to be content to carry my Pre '64 M70 featherweight in 358 Winchester into the Pennsylvania woods for ( hopefully!! ) years to come!  ;)

Offline Harry Snippe

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 06:53:01 AM »
Thanks for all the opinions & input! I am a 35 caliber nut with the 358 being my personal favorite. I think I'm just going to fix the insert in the stock & continue to use the rifle! IMO its the best handling bolt action out there and with the period Weaver K3 scope with a post & crosshair I couldn't get a decent bolt to replace this for the $$$$ that most feel it's worth! I'll just have to be content to carry my Pre '64 M70 featherweight in 358 Winchester into the Pennsylvania woods for ( hopefully!! ) years to come!  ;)

It did not sound that you knew too much about the 358 W or maybe your into the bigger case's- from reading your first post. It does better than the 356 and 35 Rem on the other end though reloaders are making inroads to the power of the 35 Rem.
Loaded with the 200 gr. bullet it does fine, whileI know guys here like to load the 225 Gr for anything that might walk the woods up here .I currently have a 338F which is darn close to the ol 358W That I took in a trade , and am happy with the tikka . But having shot a lever 358 W before, I would enjoy my current rifle just as much or even a bit more if it was chambered in 358 W.Yes it is not a 400 Yd gun , but in these woods it does make a nice holein an animal and a short trail.

Reloading for these two rounds, and some range work might just make you a happy camper, as would deer at the table
Happy

Offline pagris

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2009, 06:13:00 AM »
Some one forgot there is a market for a bolt action short barreled 358Winchester

Other wise why would Ruger be making them ?

FYI, Unfortunately, Ruger dropped the .358 chambering for 2010 ..............

Thanks, Dad, for taking me into the great outdoors.