Author Topic: which gun to take???  (Read 802 times)

Offline Dogshooter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • NRA Life Member
which gun to take???
« on: October 21, 2003, 03:37:44 PM »
I am going down to Texas for a deer hunt in the Kerrville area and have been told there is a good chance I will see some exotics. There are axis deer, fallow deer, and some others I have never heard of and also it is turkey season so I can take one of them too. You guys that live down there (I live in Wyo) give me a little help here. What do you take to the stand when you have a chance of seeing that many different species?????I have guns in calibers that will handle everything from mice to moose but I don't want to take ALL of them with me. Help......... :shock:
Perception is everything. For instance, a crowded elevator smells different to a midget.

Offline jdt48653

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
  • walk softly and carry a 264
which gun to take???
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2003, 04:03:27 PM »
30/06

Offline willis5

• Contributor
which gun to take???
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2003, 03:38:37 AM »
I 2nd that
Cheers,
Willis5

Offline markc

Yep
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2003, 07:10:51 AM »
that is a great recommendation.  Some exotics are constructed similar to a whitetail, and then there are some that are a good bit heavier.  With the ones you mentioned the 30-06 is more than capable, and in my humble opinion, with a well constructed bullet of 165 gr or so, will take anything you might encounter, except maybe Nilgai.
markc
markc

Offline huntsman

• A Real Regular
which gun to take???
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2003, 11:30:54 AM »
While the 30-06 is certainly a good choice for all the above-mentioned game (including nilgai), it is not the only suitable caliber for the job. If you are planning on hunting all of this game with one rifle loaded with one particular round, then I would go with something .264 or better bullet diameter, a performance bullet that will hold together but expand well, and any caliber that can push at least a 140-grain bullet at about 2500 fps or better. Most important, however, would be a rifle that you are confidently accurate with out to 200 yards, with a scope for precise shot placement.

I know that covers a lot of ground, but the type of exotics you will likely encounter are all elk-sized or smaller, and the turkeys will require absolute precision accuracy. So as long as you are on the higher end of the whitetail calibers, you should be fine. Good luck on the hunt!  :grin:
There is no more humbling experience for man than to be fully immersed in nature's artistry.

Offline Joel W.

which gun to take???
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2003, 02:50:25 PM »
If it were me, I would take my 7mm/08.  Now, I am not sure about shooting a turkey with it, but if I had too, I guess I would shoot AWAY from the breast.
When it comes time to shoot, SHOOT.  Don't talk.

Offline THE#1hunter

• A Real Regular
which gun to take???
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2003, 12:42:29 PM »
I would take a .270 & 150gr psp's. For a shotgun I would take a 12g...good luck and hunt safe :D
Good Luck, Be Safe, and God Bless  :D

Ephesians 2:8
--For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of god--