Author Topic: lead for bullets  (Read 1356 times)

Offline krod47nw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (250)
lead for bullets
« on: December 03, 2009, 01:46:40 PM »
I can get fired bullets from my local indoor range.  I spoke to Graybeard about it, and he seemed to think some of you might be interested in buying the lead if the price was right.  there is some jacket material, and probably some dust and such.  Take a look at the picture of a sample, and let me know what you think. If there is interest in it, I'll see what kind of price I can get.   

Thanks,
Kevin
The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline bubba.50

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (151)
Re: lead for bullets
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 06:45:14 PM »
don't know if this will help but, i have bought 4 50 to 65lb boxes of lead from members on another site that is more cast bullet oriented in three different grades, smelted into ingots for average price of about 70 cents/lb. just going by your picture, would be quite a bit of work and considerable waste involved in processing your lead so wouldn't expect much in way of price. just my opinion and worth what you paid for it, bubba.
fetch the hammer maggie-they's a bee on the baby's head!

Offline WayneS

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 09:15:58 PM »
Like Bubba said,melted, cleaned of all trash[anything NOT lead alloy]and poured into some form of ingots , and shiped +- 70 cents a Lb. And you would need to know the BHN of it. To sell it AS IS ???  +- 50 cents /Lb. shipped

Offline krod47nw

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 01:15:42 PM »
Like Bubba said,melted, cleaned of all trash[anything NOT lead alloy]and poured into some form of ingots , and shiped +- 70 cents a Lb. And you would need to know the BHN of it. To sell it AS IS ???  +- 50 cents /Lb. shipped

I was hoping to be able to be under $.50 a pound, or right at it if I include the shipping on flat rate boxes.  Do you think guys would be interested?

thanks,
Kevin
The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 05:27:22 PM »
If you can keep it to fifty cents a pound to include shipping via flat rate I'd suspect it will sell. I believe I understand that to be what you said. Folks are gonna be willing to put less into it than a better known alloy in ingots as I mentioned when you first asked me. I'm sure they will take it if the price is right it's just deciding what is the right price that's gonna be the key to it.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline bubba.50

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 07:26:11 PM »
in my ramble all around the barn way, i was trying to say pretty much what graybeard said. the lead you recover will most likely be pretty soft and no-one except muzzle-loaders and bpcr shooters have much interest in it. others who alloy it to make hard-cast bullets are a picky bunch and pretty much wanta know the whole pedigree of the lead. in fluxed ingot form you should be able to get $.50lb. for it pretty easy. if any left in a month or so(read after holidays) would probably take a box or two myself. don't know if this helps or if you're more confused than ever. worth what you paid for it, bubba.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 01:31:52 AM »
personaly id grab all you can. Lead is getting tougher and tougher to find and soon any lead will be worth substantialy more. The epa will make sure of that!
blue lives matter

Offline krod47nw

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2009, 10:40:55 AM »
personaly id grab all you can. Lead is getting tougher and tougher to find and soon any lead will be worth substantialy more. The epa will make sure of that!

I guess I should have mentioned that I myself am not a bullet caster.  I don't have any way to make ingots, nor would I know how.  I would be getting this strictly to offer to you guys.  As far as a shortage, I can probably get several thousand pounds.  :)

Offline WayneS

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2009, 11:11:31 AM »
What part of Fla. are you in ?  32530 here

Offline krod47nw

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2009, 01:50:26 PM »
What part of Fla. are you in ?  32530 here

34452  :)

Offline WayneS

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2009, 02:57:26 PM »
 :o Thats a  little out of my AO, I was thinking of a face to face if the price was right

Offline bubba.50

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2009, 07:17:17 PM »
a medium flat rate box will hold 60+ lbs of ingots. probably a bit less on loose bullets/scrap and costs $10.35 to ship. figure out how much you can get in a box and what you would hafta have over that to make it worth your time and you might have a few customers here. if price is right and not too much trash, i would probably be in for a box or two myself. for what it's worth, bubba. good luck and merry christmas friend.

Offline krod47nw

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2009, 12:33:33 PM »
Guys,

I picked up a bucket of this lead to do some calculating.  It seems that it would not be worth it for me to offer it for sale.  After looking through the bucket, there is too much other material in it.  I wouldn't even break even on the lead, never mind all of the time and trouble to weigh and pack it.

Kevin  :)

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2009, 12:34:35 PM »
Doesn't surprise me in the least.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2009, 12:47:06 PM »
so  what part of  florida????

bring  it  to  me  and  we can  cast  till  you sick  of  it
i  have  molds / 20 pound pot/ ingot mould /sizing  stuff

357  x4
44     x2
45-70       x2
500  snw      x1

a few   muzzle  loaders moulds   too
BYOM-----------bring your own mould

mostly  LBT  moulds

i  am  north  of  jacksonville  florida
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline krod47nw

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2009, 06:58:55 PM »
so  what part of  florida????

bring  it  to  me  and  we can  cast  till  you sick  of  it
i  have  molds / 20 pound pot/ ingot mould /sizing  stuff

357  x4
44     x2
45-70       x2
500  snw      x1

a few   muzzle  loaders moulds   too
BYOM-----------bring your own mould

mostly  LBT  moulds

i  am  north  of  jacksonville  florida

It might be worth it in ingot form, but I am not set up to do it.  I am in west central FL ,Citrus County.

Send me a pm and maybe we can do something with it.  :)

Kevin

Offline docmagnum357

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2009, 12:26:45 PM »
A little off topic, but i wonder if you guys know what the composition of the usual .22 long rifle bullet is.  I believe a lot of swaged bullerts(and core) contain 2-3% antimony, but i really don't know about the .22 bullets.  As far as the lead you are looking at, i smelt my wheel weights on a "Turkey Fryer" burner, in a plumber's pot( good luck finding one of them). I have a small lael that i can use to make ingots.  I use two kinds on ngots, one is about a lb, and says Saeco.  The other is a "corn stick pan" made of cast iron, ade for baking those little pieces of cornbread that look like ears of corn.  Again, about a lb.

It really doesn't matter what you have as far as alloy, you just smelt a big enough batch to make it worth your time to alloy it.  Lloyd is rright on the money.  get it while you can, anfd possibly hide/ bury it.  The epa needs something to do, and will come looking for it soon enough.  For what it is worth, the dust is really the only thing dangerous about lead.  Dust and oxides of lead.  Be careful if you are in a range recovering this treasure trove to wear a mask, wash your hands after handleing, and befor handling you r marriage tackle or rubbing your eyes.  Smoking a cigarette with lead dust on your hands is a good way to ingest it.  Pouring molten lead, handling bullets, etc. are a lot less dangerous.  dust and oxides really are dangerous.  I switched the backstop in my private range to a sand trap on account of dust, and to make recovery easier.