Author Topic: SHTF gun.....  (Read 6919 times)

Offline teamnelson

• Trade Count: (30)
Re: SHTF gun.....
« Reply #120 on: April 25, 2010, 06:30:44 PM »
To answer someone's question, I've done two combat tours to Iraq with 2/3 Marines (Infantry) ... Combat Action Ribbon, Purple Heart ... and I sold my Armalite Middy in between tours. I'm not a single shot guy, but I don't favor gas or piston operated firearms for shtf scenarios. For reference, I've been in a uniform since 87, was an armorer, carried the M16A1,2,3 and M4, as well as the 60, 240G, SAW, 209, etc.

As the good book says, where your treasure is there your heart will be also. The more "stuff" you require to survive, the less mobile you are, and the harder you have to work to protect your "treasure." So I go the other way ... light, mobile, self-sustainable. I am learning how to make things rather than buy stockpiles of things. I am learning how to live comfortably with less, so my survival requirements are as close to minimal as possible. For me to treasure life most (especially my family's) means to treasure things less. YMMV.

Consider that a worst case scenario may be you on foot for as long into the future as you can see. A combat loadout for an infantryman is 6 30rd mags (loaded to 27 most likely, and maybe another spare in your pocket JIC) for approximately 180rds. I can use that up in about 6 minutes or less, with controlled well aimed shots from cover alternating for movement, depending on the size of the opposition. So you are on foot, for most likely the rest of your life, with no guarantee of resupply from another ammo source, is 180 enough? Of course not, since the primary justification for carrying an AR/AK is defense against larger armed forces. Also, is your party trained in how to use an AR effectively, or just shoot it? After all, we do not employ any weapon in the Marines as an individual; even snipers are coordinated with unit tactics. If defense against a larger force from a fixed position is your worst case scenario, then make sure you are self-sufficient for combat medicine too.

held fast

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #121 on: April 26, 2010, 02:12:49 AM »
teamnelson you hit on a point that is often overlooked. the medical part of surviving. Im not a young man and take medication about daily for blood pressure pain management ect. For the most part those would be gone. I try to squirrel some away but when you have to pay for them its tough. I was an volunteer emt when i was young here in town. I had some training in the service and in civilain life and can deal with most injurys IF i have the equiptment to do it but a guy wont be riding around with the equiptment we had. I at least have a small supply of compresses ect and my doctor has been helpfull with a few other things like some antibiotics that i keep for just in case but a guy has to keep in mind if it does hit the fan that we will instantly be transformed back to the day when a small ifection in a cut could be fatal and all the guns in the world wont help you there. I like to be at least a little prepared. dont get me wrong im not a survivalist. I dont have supplys to last months or years. Maybe enough water and food and medical supplys to make a few months. I dont keep them or a pile of guns thinking the russians are going to attack. My thoughts go more toward a natural disaster like a flood earthquake power outage ect. I wish i could afford to really be prepared but like most when i get some extra money  a new gun or 4 wheeler or something else calls. Im not yet prepared to change my life into a survialist mode. At my age and in my physical shape I doubt if i could live off the land anymore anyway and sure dont want to try.
blue lives matter

Offline teamnelson

• Trade Count: (30)
« Reply #122 on: April 26, 2010, 12:24:13 PM »
lloyd, i hope from reading threads like these folks realize that the real takeaway is not which is the best gun. Its that you really really really need to think hard, like you and I hope I have, about what a reasonable survival plan would look like, and how it would play to your strengths and weaknesses. I honestly think most folks don't do a serious plan. My military experience tells me that once I choose a course of action, I take it very serious.
held fast

Offline jcn59

• Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #123 on: April 26, 2010, 05:39:55 PM »
It seems that no matter what the odds of success are, our grandparents did the right thing when freedom was threatened.  They would expect us to do the same without regard to our personal safety.

I've never been in a combat situation so I really don't know what I'm talking about.

I do know that I won't be walking out on my bride of 25 years for any reason.
Vote them all out, EVERY election!

Does anyone remember the scene from "Quigley Down Under" showing the aborigines lined up on the skyline as far as you could see?   That needs to be US!
NRA Life Member