Author Topic: reloading .30cal carbine  (Read 873 times)

Offline beefyz

• Trade Count: (3)
reloading .30cal carbine
« on: December 05, 2009, 05:00:29 PM »
will start reloading shortly for the carbine. read something the other day that bothered me; about carbs being able to be fired out of battery. this was for ww2 editions. as mine is not of that vintage, do we have a problem here ?
also, for those of you who reload for the carbine, could you give me some tips. i have the loading data from manuals. have the right powders and bullets. so i don't need help in that direction.will be  using a standard lee press with 3 die carbide set. i'm more concerned of any problems in the actual reloading of the cartridge.
specifically
1) is there a primer issue ? seated deep enough to avoid slam fires like in the garand, right ?
cci 34s are often recommended in the garand. is there a mil eq also for the carbine or will my small rifle primers be ok ?
2) in the garand i just reload to a certain oal regardless of the bullet size. is it the same for the carbine? at what oal ? i will not be using any cast; only jacketed fmj, hp,sp, plnkr, rn etc. just seat them at a pre-determined oal?
3) i know case trimming is important in this round. i will not be reloading "hot"; what can i expect as to # of reloads. I've never trimmed out a case. what am i looking for to retire a case?
4) seating/ taper crimp issues ?
5) as i want to reload on the light side, can i reduce a starting load ( with the exception of H110 or win 296 powders) by 1 gr or so and work my way up ?
6) signs of under/overpressure the same ? failure to function, excessive kickback, difficult bolt extraction, primer indicators etc etc.
7) any other advice
thank you all for your time and considerations.

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
Re: reloading .30cal carbine
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 05:34:51 PM »
some will ,some wont, fire out of battery. you can test yours. size and prime a piece of brass chamber it, pull you bolt back far enough to rotate the bolt  slightly and try to fire it. It should not pop the primer if it is rotated even slightly. as for brass go by the manual  be careful reducing powder your gun may not cycle just load in groups of five until you find the load that won't cycle the gun. If you change bullet weight or brass (military brass is thicker and will give higher pressures)
 you have to start over.If your primers are flush you should not have a problem unless your gun has a problem.
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 01:44:00 AM »
beefyz

As for primers , I'd avoid the Fed small rifle as they have a lighter cup than others , stick with CCI's if you can . The OL will be more determened by your mag leingth than any other factor .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline 84Jim

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 03:44:14 AM »
There's some good stuff in this link about reloading .30 carbine.  Note the top of page 2 for case trimming, and out of battery firing cautions (same topic).

http://www.thecmp.org/pdfs/CMP_Carbine_Notes_2007.pdf