Author Topic: GBO Upgrade.  (Read 46874 times)

Offline bearmgc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
Re: GBO Upgrade.
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2010, 02:19:19 PM »
OK. Another thanks muchly. ;D

Offline HAMMERHEAD

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2010, 01:26:20 PM »
Just sent in $20, but didn't catch sending in my GBO moniker with the Pay Pal until just now.
It should be obvious when you see my last name though.

Love the site.

Offline guns-o-fun

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2010, 03:36:09 PM »
For all the time I spend on this site, I should help share the load.  Just ppd you some funds.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2010, 11:07:10 PM »
Just sent in $20, but didn't catch sending in my GBO moniker with the Pay Pal until just now.

Love the site.

I have a $20 check here from someone but it's not at all clear who it's from. It's from Hazle Township, PA. Nothing at all on check or envelope to tell me what the GBO member name is.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #64 on: March 27, 2010, 11:36:09 AM »
That's probably the one I PMd you about Bill, steg lives in Hazleton.

Tim

wood stocks, and I live in Hazleton...............steg
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline HAMMERHEAD

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #65 on: March 27, 2010, 04:09:23 PM »

Love the site.

I have a $20 check here from someone but it's not at all clear who it's from. It's from Hazle Township, PA. Nothing at all on check or envelope to tell me what the GBO member name is.

I sent mine via Pay Pal last night from Minnesota

Offline Matt

• .:{º.º}:.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Inkredible Image
« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2010, 02:11:15 PM »

Love the site.

I sent mine via Pay Pal last night from Minnesota

Got it and you have been added to the GBO supporter group

Thanks for your Support
Matt
Any fool can know. The point is to understand.”
― Albert Einstein

Offline alamogunr

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #67 on: April 09, 2010, 05:08:14 PM »
Left the computer for awhile to take care of some things.  When I come back, my Graybeard Outdoors forum is gone.  This colorful(I like it)site has taken its place.  I went looking for an explanation and found that a server upgrade project was ongoing.  Since I enjoy coming here so much, I've sent $20 thru Paypal.  That is $1 for me and $19 for nineteen people that can't afford anything.  I assume that the upgrade has been implemented even though the total $$ required has not been pledged.

My email should take care of my forum ID.

John
"alamogunr"

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • Inkredible Image
« Reply #68 on: April 09, 2010, 05:15:23 PM »
Left the computer for awhile to take care of some things.  When I come back, my Graybeard Outdoors forum is gone.  This colorful(I like it)site has taken its place.  I went looking for an explanation and found that a server upgrade project was ongoing.  Since I enjoy coming here so much, I've sent $20 thru Paypal.  That is $1 for me and $19 for nineteen people that can't afford anything.  I assume that the upgrade has been implemented even though the total $$ required has not been pledged.

My email should take care of my forum ID.

John
"alamogunr"

Thanks for the Support, no the upgrade has not happen.... this is just a pretext to it.... I am bringing a new look to GBO... we have had the same one for well over 3 years now.... The upgrade is next.... and coming very soon,

Matt
― Albert Einstein

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #69 on: April 10, 2010, 11:15:41 AM »
I sent you some funds Matt hope the switch goes ok.

Now about this new look. It happened right while I was making a reply. What a surprise to find a sudden switch.

I like the top of the page, pretty.  But I'm not so sure I like the rest of it. I find it much too contrasty and rather hard on my eyes to read. The previous color choices were much easier on my eyes.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #70 on: April 10, 2010, 03:22:07 PM »
I sent you some funds Matt hope the switch goes ok.

Now about this new look. It happened right while I was making a reply. What a surprise to find a sudden switch.

I like the top of the page, pretty.  But I'm not so sure I like the rest of it. I find it much too contrasty and rather hard on my eyes to read. The previous color choices were much easier on my eyes.

I agree 100%, it's VERY hard to read...

DM

Offline coues2506

« Reply #71 on: April 10, 2010, 04:36:03 PM »
Just a question - I see ads running on every page I pull up on this site. Don't these ads provide income for the site? The amount of  money you need seems small and I wonder why the ads don't cover your expenses and upgrades.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • Inkredible Image
« Reply #72 on: April 10, 2010, 06:07:17 AM »
Just a question - I see ads running on every page I pull up on this site. Don't these ads provide income for the site? The amount of  money you need seems small and I wonder why the ads don't cover your expenses and upgrades.

Well to be honest the cost of running a site this size is more than most realize and the banners do not always cover that cost. With donations and banner revenue we manage to cover it most years but when we do large or major changes to the site we have to dig into GB's pockets... We have never pushed GBO to be a money maker, all we ever wanted is for it to pay for itself and not cost us to keep running. Also most of the banners you see pay us $250-$300 per year... The total real world cost of the upgrade is closer to $3.5k so how many banner you think that will take to cover, but part of that is to replace the current servers we have which GB and I are paying for out of site income and our pocket(his really).

Bottom line is if you like the site use it... if you like it enough to donate then do, if not dont... cant get much easier than that...

Matt
― Albert Einstein

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #73 on: April 10, 2010, 01:03:00 PM »
I am liking the look as it is now. With these colors everything seems to seperate and contrast well. Makes foer easy reading.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #74 on: April 10, 2010, 05:06:50 PM »
  Matt,

Thanks for your work, but i think you should have left it alone in the first place.  Was you getting complaints?  You are now, so why change just for the sake of change?

I don't mind what you put at the top, but the change of colors in the forums, is hard to read, and i hope you will put it back where it was.

DM

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #75 on: April 10, 2010, 06:09:53 PM »
Looks great again!!  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline tfranklin7

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (163)
  • Contributor
« Reply #76 on: May 03, 2010, 10:46:01 AM »
Sent a paypal donation today from myself and bubba.50 .
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ron Miller

• GBO Supporter
  • If it's not one thing it's another!
« Reply #77 on: May 04, 2010, 08:31:36 PM »
I sent you guys 100 bucks and you mean we could'nt get 100 people to send 100 bucks! Hell I'm always logged on so everybody can see my time here. And there are people here with 1000's of hours that aren't even supporter!!! Where are the defenders of our rights!!! Greybreard as a good thing going here, back him up!
Magnum Shooter, Army Vet, Ranger, Sniper, NRA Patron Member, Bridge Design Tech.

Offline sk330lc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #78 on: May 11, 2010, 12:48:22 PM »
Folks, we have been on the current servers now for 3 years and as many of you may have noticed they are starting to slow down a bit and we are starting to get more and more crashes.  As many of you may know we have 2 servers that we run in a mirrored configuration. Well we are looking add another server to our rack. This server will be dedicated to Go2GBO.com and GraybeardOutdoors.com as we had wanted back three years ago. This will be a costly upgrade and we look to spend around $2500 for the server, setup and hosting. We can not make this purchase on our own as we just do not have the funding after just paying the hosting fees on our current servers which is $822 each per year.

We are going to start collecting for our New Server fund and see how close we can get to the target amount. If you enjoy this site and have found it useful then we are asking you to donate using the paypal button at the bottom of any page or use the " Paid Subscriptions" link in your profile. As always donations are not required to use GBO or any feature of GBO but all are appreciated.

Mail in donations can be sent to Graybeard.

Bill Graham
3015 Alabama Hwy. 204
Jacksonville, AL 36265-5506

I will keep everyone up to date on how much we have raised on this thread.

Target: $2500.00
Raised: $1800.00  so far

Thanks for your Support
Matt

How about an up date Matt?  Thanks
Be True to What You Hunt!!!!!
SUPPORT THE GBO SERVER
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.0/topicseen.html

Offline hotrod0872

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #79 on: May 15, 2010, 06:10:10 AM »
Matt i like the changes!! i sent $100.00 for the server fund,hope it helps!
Graybeard thanks for keeping this site going!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D

Offline gungoboom

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #80 on: June 04, 2010, 11:03:03 AM »
Just sent in a little through Paypal.  Wish I could do more.
We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. - Patrick Henry

Offline bigmoon

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Petey the Wonder Dog
« Reply #81 on: June 06, 2010, 09:15:53 PM »
Matt:

Have you considered accepting donations by subscription? I'm retired and can't really afford too much at a time, but $5 or $7 a month for a couple of years would add up.

Please excuse me if this has already been discussed. I'm old and my memory is weak. Not only that, but I'm old and my memory is weak. And have you considered accepting donations by subscription?

Joe B.
An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline ourway77

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (134)
« Reply #82 on: February 01, 2011, 09:12:31 AM »
I just happened to run across this post Question I donated and have GBO Supporter by my name, Is this another request for donations? LMK Thanks Lou
 Bill just a sugestion can't a set amount be set for those who post on the FS section say $20.00 to be paid on an honor system to be paid all at once, or donate what ever one can  till he reaches the set amount, and then for the rest of the year he would be paid up to start again with the new year? that way I feel you would raise quite a bit. It may be feaseable to charge everyone to belong to the sight say like $5.00 per person. I  for one believe this amount wouldn't break anyones pocket book. I love the sight and I would gladly pay for the privlage of using it. Lou
It is better to trust the Lord, than put your confidence in man
If we ever forget we are one nation under God, then we will be one nation gone under.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #83 on: February 01, 2011, 01:13:25 PM »
This is a very old thread Matt started to get donations for a new server. As you know the new server is in place and we are now on it. Matt still has a lot of work to do to get things settled back down to normal. But no this is not a new request for funds.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline eedsr

• Trade Count: (32)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #84 on: February 12, 2011, 01:03:32 PM »
Just sent funds via PayPal for supporter subscription. Hope it helps in a small way. I really enjoy the site.

Thanks,
Ed.

Offline tjf76

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #85 on: February 24, 2011, 03:40:59 PM »
I too  sent funds via PayPal for supporter subscription. This is one of the best sites online and glad I could help  :)

Thanks for the great site!

Tom

Offline skinman

• Trade Count: (30)
  • Avid Poster
  • J.D. Gillis
« Reply #86 on: April 20, 2011, 06:43:08 AM »
I have enjoyed the use of this site and am proud to be part of it. You can count on me to send it some change to keep this site going. I have bought/sold on this site for a time now and it just wouldn't be right to do it for free. At times if I have done something wrong, Tim or Greybeard have always been there to get me down the right road. Good fella's.

Some needed money is on your way. Thanks for keeping this site going! I have no problem being a GBO supporter.

J.D.Gillis
"Hunting and Fishing"....a deadly disease that I thank God they will never find a cure for..

Offline ourway77

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (134)
« Reply #87 on: June 03, 2011, 03:46:14 PM »
Matt I sent my Donation to the new fund to greybeard, wish it was more but something came up or I would have sent more. With all the members here i can't believe more hasn't been sent. The new fund should have been paid. Lou
It is better to trust the Lord, than put your confidence in man
If we ever forget we are one nation under God, then we will be one nation gone under.

Offline swcu_21

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #88 on: June 23, 2011, 11:22:49 AM »
I sent a donation in a couple weeks ago, hope to be able to do it more often. I don't comment much but I do enjoy reading information from people that are more knowledgeable than myself. Also a great place to do business with great people.

Thanks,
J

Offline Tikker

« Reply #89 on: February 02, 2012, 10:41:38 AM »
Says this is an old thread by 120 days but the pop-up took me here & i've had it pop up more than once this visit to Graybeards.

First and foremost, I enjoy reading the forums on this site and do post from time to time. This
isn't the only forum i frequent but i still come to this place when i know i have a question that needs answered or to kill some time.

Anyways, My thoughts on helping Graybeards pay for this.....

I enjoy many sites and all of those sites make money through my choice to visit that site. The advertisments that are all over this site should be enough to pay for a small fee of $150. There has been many times where i had to close off an add that grew that i had to close off manualy, Chevy Silverado add comes to mind. I have never had any pop-up stating they need money donated to keep my privacy through there site up to date.

Point comes to mind is that on Youtube, if you load a video that has alot of internet traffic. Those little pop-up add's that you need to click off to view the video, they acutally pay those people depending on the traffic they get. So some of those funny videos that go "viral", those people can make anywhere from a few hundreds to 180 thousand dollers a year. Granted that this site does not get youtube status of viewers. It does point out that sites that advertise make money.

So, with that in mind. How is it that Graybeards can't afford a small fee when there is so many companies paying to advertise here & sponsor forums? Afterall, are those add's not put up on this site because people like me & many others visit this forum for those adds to get viewed.

I don't see any reason to pay/donate, as this site should be making enough money for basic this such as website security or any other fee's associated with running a site.