Author Topic: Where am I going wrong?  (Read 827 times)

Offline Pumah25

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
Where am I going wrong?
« on: December 08, 2009, 06:19:36 PM »
I decided to take advantage of the raging snowstorm outside and jump from the straight wall pistol cartridges I have been doing for 2 years to taking on the bottle neck rifle cases. 300 Weatherby (Redding Dies) resized no problem, 30-30 (Hornady dies)no problem. 30-06 Problem. I ran it in... it went rough. I should have known something bad was about to happen and sure enough the case stuck and ripped off the rim of the shell. I lubed the outside and inside the neck with Dillon Case lube (Lee dies) I then switched to some 270 and again it went rough this time I was smart enough not to force it (RCBS dies). I was able to extract it but not without difficulty. I then sized some 300 Win and it went without problem (Hornady dies) and some 35 Rem (RCBS) without a problem.

Is this a die issue? Any other ideas. I am confused and a little frustrated so any help is appreciated.

I know that when it comes to dies I have a dog from every town but I got into this on a budget and have bought a lot of these from individuals online to save money.

Offline sixshot

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Where am I going wrong?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 07:02:05 PM »
Might check & make sure you used the correct shell holder, either that or your case lube wasn't working.

Dick

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 01:51:05 AM »
Doubtful it's a die issue most likely inadequate lube. When starting with new dies you some times need a bit more lube than you'll need later. Did you take the dies apart and clean them good before beginning? I always do that and then put a bit of lube inside the die before sizing the first case as well. Better too much and a lube dent or two than a stuck case. I hope you have a stuck case remover if not it's time to order one.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Pumah25

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 04:07:48 AM »
I did not take the die apart and clean it first. I did spray some lube up in side the die to see if that would help the 270. Simple answer was no. I wondered about not enough lube on the 30-06 so I lubed the heck out of the 270. I will tear the die down and give a thorough cleaning and try again. As for the stuck case remover... time for a midway order. I have heard that placing it in the freezer can be effective due to the different constriction rates of steel and brass. How long in the freezer is recommended with this method?

Offline Silvertp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 05:43:49 AM »
Been there and done that.   ;D  The stuck case removers are the best way to go.

However;

Ive had real good luck getting all sorts of tight metal things apart by putting in the freezer.  I always leave the parts in overnight (8 + Hours).  Honestly, Ive never tried the "freeze" trick on a stuck case. 

Give it a go and let us know how/if it worked for you.

Silvertp

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 06:23:57 AM »
I've stuck a lot of cases and have yet to spring for a remover. What I do is get the decapper rod out of the way. Then I drill out the primer pocket with a bit that is about the same size as the pocket, about .210. Then I tap the hole with a 1/4 inch tap. Then run a nut way up on a 1/4 inch bolt with lots of threads. Then a sturdy 1/4 inch washer then a spacer that fits over the stuck case and rides on the die. Screw the bolt into the tapped case, hold the bolt head and screw the nut down. I've never found one I couldn't pull this way.

I can't see what would be a problem with name brand dies wanting to stick if you are using enough good lube. I have tried some commercial lubes that aren't as good as my old standby which is STP oil treatment. It is a pain to get off, but it is as slippery a lube as I have ever used. Wal-mart has a store brand called Super Tech Oil Treatment in a 15 oz bottle that is the same stuff.

Offline johnjohn

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 07:52:49 AM »
I made my own stuck case remover similar to what you describe. And since switching to Imperial haven't stuck one.

Offline anweis

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 07:52:56 AM »
Wal-mart has a store brand called Super Tech Oil Treatment in a 15 oz bottle that is the same stuff.

After this, you need to wash the cases with detergent, right?

OK, i admit. I stuck a case in a die so bad that i just gave up and threw it away.

Do i need to use a q-tip or something to also lube the inside of the neck of the cases? Thanks.

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 09:04:39 AM »
When I prime them with a Lee priming tool I hold them clamped in the tool and rub them against a rag tied to my bench, or I just rub the stuff off the loaded round. To make the neck come over the expander ball easier, I run a brass cleaning brush through the neck. And don't tell anybody, but I put a drop of gun oil on the brush. Don't need to put much oil on the brush every, 20 or 30 rounds, whenever it gets hard to pull the expander ball again.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 10:56:09 AM »
time for a midway order.

Do yourself a favor and save some money. Order from GBO Sponsor Midsouth Shooter's Supply instead.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline BCB

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 01:00:33 PM »
I have also had problems with the 270 cartridge when sizing.  I have three 270 caliber rifles so I have loaded a pile of them.  It seems that they expand greatly in the chamber--60+ thousand pounds of pressure.  I know other cartridges run at this pressure, but basically it has been the 270 Winchester case that has given me trouble...

I have also used spray lube with success, but recently I have had one heck of a time getting it to work.  I was also having trouble with the 7-08.  I went to using RCBS liquid lube (a bit messy) and Imperial lube.  They both work great and are water soluable... 

I think no matter what lube you use, you will need to clean the cases or there is potential for the case to not grip the chamber walls and this can cause undo thrust to the bolt face.

If you get either one of the mentioned, you will not have a problem.  I clean them in a bit of soapy water, rinse thoroughly and then put them in the oven to dry at 225 degrees for about 15 minutes.  I turn the oven off and let them in there all night.  I do have an old oven in my reloading room...

Good-luck...BCB

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2009, 01:20:36 PM »
Try and use Imperial sizing die wax. Pretty good stuff, and you don't need much. You might squirt some Kroil in the die to help looseten up the brass. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline rugerman

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2009, 05:35:56 AM »
I tried spray lubes long ago and had the same problem with stuck cases. Changed to imperial sizing wax and have not had one since. Yes spray lubes are easy and quick but stuck cases take a bit of time to remove so I no longer use them.

Offline anweis

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2009, 05:59:14 AM »
I tried spray lubes long ago and had the same problem with stuck cases. Changed to imperial sizing wax and have not had one since. Yes spray lubes are easy and quick but stuck cases take a bit of time to remove so I no longer use them.
I will try that Imperial wax. How should i apply it? Put it on a rag and wipe the case? What about the inside of the neck case? After sizing, it needs to be washed away?
Thank you.

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2009, 09:28:03 AM »
I just stick the neck into the wax, like a cookie cutter, and wipe off the outside of the neck with my fingers. You shouldn't have to do each one..I apply the wax to the cases with fingers, and believe me, you don't need much. I still have more than half of a can that I bought several years ago.
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline Jay, Tx

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2009, 11:20:29 AM »
Hmm, I may get banned for this one....I use vegetable oil when resizing. Never had a case stick either.

Of course, now that I've bragged about it I will get a stuck case in the next batch.

Jay
Tolerance is the virtue of a man without convictions.

Offline BCB

• A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2009, 12:08:23 PM »
I'm sure there are many things that will work, but water soluable is the main issue I think.  As I mentioned in my previous post, the lube needs removed from the case and the inside of the case neck and I use a simple water bath with a very small amount of soap.  Actually, the water will remove the soluable lube without the soap, but the soap helps clean some of the residue from the cases...BCB

Offline Pumah25

• Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2009, 04:54:26 AM »
Not to sound like an idiot but I have heard that STP oil treatment works as well. Is that true? I am assuming it would not be water soluble.