Author Topic: why do yoiu carry the .45 ACP  (Read 2549 times)

Offline Noreaster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: why do yoiu carry the .45 ACP
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2010, 01:16:29 PM »
I believe the will of the antagonist (anger, motivation, substance abuse...,) will prevail over anything for a short time. The problem is that short time may be long enough for the SOB to hit you or a loved one. You need to ask yourself the same question a hiker arming themselves in bear country would ask. Ok this gun/caliber may do the job with proper bullet placement, but wouldn't something larger be better!

Sitting around praying for LEO response is a roll of the dice. Is the responding officer close, will he park a block away and await backup as he's trained to do. It's better to wait for that response with a deadly force option just in case the boys in blue aren't quick enough.

Offline delt167502

• NRA LIFE MEMBER
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2010, 05:14:50 PM »
I guess if you had to be hit by a VW or a MACK TRUCK,might help explain the diff. I prefer neither but things happen.

Offline Mike in Virginia

« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2010, 06:20:52 PM »
Generally, if a 9mm jams during combat, you've got real trouble, because your opponent is still standing.  If your 45 jams, it doesn't matter, because you only needed that first shot. 

A 9mm, .38, and .357 are the same caliber.  You can vary the weights and the velocity and achieve results that cannot physically exceed what that caliber can do.  If you shoot it out of a pistol, those limitations are extreme. 

We can all point to individual occurrences where a .25 or a .380 dropped a beast or human immediately.  The Evans Marshall stuff is hotly contested.  The radical statements about the abilities of the 125gr .357 have flooded and polluted the minds of the ignorant.  One could say that about the 45acp.  In the end, common sense prevails.  A heavy bullet of large caliber and moderate velocity is the best we can do against human aggressors.       

Offline WD45

• A Real Regular
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2010, 07:01:35 AM »
Why, because I like it ;D
Other than that I was taught to carry the largest cal you can AND put the lead where it needs to go if crap hits the fan. That came from a long line of LEO and war vetran relatives with combat experience.
I have always been a fan of the 45 in any format. But I guess I have to admit I've always been a fan of the 32 mag also ;D

Offline jwp475

« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2010, 09:28:18 AM »
I guess old workable habits die hard.this is a cal.that works and is what a person could call a round that if it fails to expand.its still a hole of almost 1/2". have been required to carry it on duty .then someone changed the guide lines. we were required to carry the 9 mm ,untill it proved to be a poor carry. then we could opp out and carry our own weapon.
Round for round the 9mm and the 45 Acp have one stop shots about equal.
In street stoppers the 45 ACP ball was effective 64% of the time
the 9mm ball was effective 63% of the time.
and to put all that in comparison the 32ACP with silver tip ammo was an effective one shot stoper 61% of the time.
The 9 and 45 JHP round run about the same in effectiveness with the 45 being slightly ahead of the 9mm.
Both trail to the Remington 125 grain semi jacketed hollow point 357 mag round that is in the high 90% out of a 4" gun.

Where do you get those numbers? Marshal and Sanow? Both have been discredited and they have faded from sight and well they should

Offline jwp475

« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2010, 09:30:11 AM »
With all the calibers available, why do you carry the .45 ACP?

I carry one because I have learned over the years that they work well for their intended purpose and hold more rounds than revolver and I can reload them faster than a revolver

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2010, 10:04:09 AM »
There is a short training film where a GA. state trooper shoots a guy point blank with a Sig in 45 COLT, Federal hydro-shok ammo . The the guy grabs the trooper and the trooper throws the gun and hits his help button . The guy beats the cop , two more cops show up and the three of them  cuff him . The guy dies later in the hospital . He was using pcp . Now the cop had about as good of set up as any 45 cal. gun made . I wonder what would have happened if the cop had used a 357 mag 125 hp . we will never know .

If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline jwp475

« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2010, 10:49:17 AM »

He should have fired more than once.. I should at least 158's in my 357, no light wieghts for me. I taken too many Deer sized game to belive in light wieghts and the Tooth Fairy

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2010, 11:28:43 AM »
He didn't have time , film was from his dash cam.
Stats are stats .

Offline jwp475

« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2010, 11:42:18 AM »
He didn't have time , film was from his dash cam.
Stats are stats .

Stats can be manipulated, so it matters where they come from

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2010, 11:58:21 AM »
That is very true . In this case most in the know ( been there done that got the tee shirt ) agree the 357 125 jhp works as advertised . Some/many feel the 45 works well also . The fast light 125 carries a degree of safety in not over penitrating as much as larger and weighter bullets but still getting the job done . This can also be seen in the 45-180 gr bullets to a degree.
Also with regard to one shot stops , it referes to the bad guy stopping his attack . It does not refer to killing . If the bad guy had kept up the attack it would not be considered a one shot stop . In a world where over 90% of those shot with a handgun live a 90% plus one shot stop record is quite good . The 357 came along after the 45 acp . It was invented to fill a need the 45 did not . It remained in service with police until the drug gang era reared its head and revolvers just did not hold enough ammo for some. The auto took over and a quest to match the old 357 125gr load has been on going since .
When i know i will be in a bad area i carry the 45 , why ? cause i got one i guess

Offline jwp475

« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2010, 01:05:11 PM »
That is very true . In this case most in the know ( been there done that got the tee shirt ) agree the 357 125 jhp works as advertised . Some/many feel the 45 works well also . The fast light 125 carries a degree of safety in not over penitrating as much as larger and weighter bullets but still getting the job done . This can also be seen in the 45-180 gr bullets to a degree.
Also with regard to one shot stops , it referes to the bad guy stopping his attack . It does not refer to killing . If the bad guy had kept up the attack it would not be considered a one shot stop . In a world where over 90% of those shot with a handgun live a 90% plus one shot stop record is quite good . The 357 came along after the 45 acp . It was invented to fill a need the 45 did not . It remained in service with police until the drug gang era reared its head and revolvers just did not hold enough ammo for some. The auto took over and a quest to match the old 357 125gr load has been on going since .
When i know i will be in a bad area i carry the 45 , why ? cause i got one i guess

A determined attacker doesn't stop because he is hit he continues until he is stoped and that usaly means killed or parilized. The fact that many people with superficial wounds quit after being hit doesn't mean that a particular caliber or bullet was effective,it simply means that theychanged thier minds.

Ask the FBI agents involve in the 86 shoot out in Miami with Pratt and Matrix

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2010, 02:07:26 AM »
What was your point ? a stopped attack is stopped .