Author Topic: 1975 h&r .32 s&w revolver/ any info?  (Read 2566 times)

Offline bondfire006

• Trade Count: (0)
1975 h&r .32 s&w revolver/ any info?
« on: December 09, 2009, 01:16:26 PM »
i just acquired this gun from a relative. i know little about handguns. the side of the barrel says model 732 .32 s&w. i called H&R to get info and all they could give me was the manu. date. also they said not to use s&wL ammo that the barrel would say L on it if it could be used. i read on another forum somewhere that s&wL could be used in my model guns. took it to the local gunsmith. they said it was in 95-98 %. so this gun is next to new i would say. any info would be appreciated. thanks

Offline blpenn66502

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Avid Poster
Re: 1975 h&r .32 s&w revolver/ any info?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 02:17:50 PM »
I would trust what the manufacturer and/or your gunsmith says over some forum response.  That being said here is another forum response.  The 32 S&W Long case is 0.315" longer than a 32 S&W so a gun chambered for 32 S&W will not chamber a 32 S&W Long unless someone has modified the cylinder it to allow the longer case to fit.  This prevents more powerful cartridges from being used in revolvers not designed for them.  This is the same reason that a 357 magnum case was made slightly longer to prevent it from being chambered in a gun that was only designed for the power level of 38 special ammunition.

Based on the date you received from H&R, your revolver is considered the second version of that model which incorporated a transfer bar system and was manufactured from 1974 - 1986.  The current BlueBook shows the model 732 Guardsman, second version, in the condition described between $150-$175.  H&R also made a model 733 version which is similar to the 732 which was chambered for the 32 S&W Long.