Author Topic: Got my Uberti 1861 Navy - Pics added 12/19  (Read 2825 times)

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
Got my Uberti 1861 Navy - Pics added 12/19
« on: December 12, 2009, 03:49:22 AM »
After 6 months Midway finally got them in stock.   ::)  I like it, it's pretty, but ...  :-\

It seems like it's just a (very) little smaller version of the 1860 Army.  Well DUH! you say, and you're right.  What was I thinking!  

Got to go to an office brunch.  More later!   ;D
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline StrawHat

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Got my Uberti 1861 Navy
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 01:12:44 AM »
AtlLaw,

You know that without pictures it is merely a rumor!

I have two very early Uberti 61s and like them a lot.  It is an unusual experience firing them, no recoil but a great amount of impact at the target.

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine. 
"Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result"  Winston Churchill

"A law without a punishment is merely advice."  anonymous

Offline FourBee

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 03:26:50 AM »
At-A-Boy; AtlLaw:
I'm happy for ya, especially now that the waiting is over.  Want to hear more about it too.   Gotta go.....

4B
Enjoy your rights to keep and bear arms.

Offline NickSS

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 12:03:19 AM »
The only difference between the original 1860 army and the 1861 Navy was a half inch of barrel and the smaller grip stocks.  Oh almost forgot the cylinder is not rebated on the 36 caliber pistol.  Otherwise there is little difference between the two.

Offline Flint

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 06:05:09 AM »
The 1860 Army was built on the 1851 Navy frame, as the new (British Sheffield steel) metallurgy allowed the cylinder to withstand the load required for the 44.  Attempts to reduce the size and weight of the Dragoon were unsuccessful in experimental models at Colt, but the new steel used allowed the radical downsize from the Dragoon to the 1860 Army.

simply put, the 1861 Navy is an 1851 with an 1860 style barrel.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 06:16:40 AM »
The only difference between the original 1860 army and the 1861 Navy was a half inch of barrel and the smaller grip stocks.  Oh almost forgot the cylinder is not rebated on the 36 caliber pistol.

I came to this conclusion when I started laying out the revolvers for pictures.   :-\  Which was before I found that the batteries in my camara were dead.   ::)  But them pistolas sure make a purdy pair!   ;D
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2009, 06:52:56 AM »
Here they are.  Overall I'd say the Uberti's fit and finish is better then the Pietta.  Especially the case colors.  The wedge came out easily but fit tight.  Not so many rough edges in general.

The Pietta had more distinct "clicks" upon cocking and the trigger is somewhat smoother then the Uberti's.

Evenso, it would be a close call to say the Uberti is worth the premium over the Pietta.  If I were to buy another weapon that both of these companies manufactured it would probably be a Uberti, but I really don't have a good reason for that.   :-\

Now, if I could just get to the range!   :D

Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2009, 06:54:56 AM »
One more,  I don't know why that butt picture rotated...  :-\
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline FourBee

Re: Got my Uberti 1861 Navy - Pics added 12/19
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2009, 08:43:51 AM »
Boy !  Those are pretty.  Uberti does a good job matching their grips to metal.  Both my .44's are Pietta.  My Brass one has some age on it and it's beginning to show.   May just retire it and replace it with a Uberti.  ;D

Offline a4beltfed2000

• Trade Count: (16)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2009, 11:39:41 AM »
Does the Uberti have the maker markings under the loading rod? How about the pietta? are they on the side of the barrel. Overall they appear very close, are the tool marks on the back frame in the pics really noticable or is that just the pic? Do they both lock up tight? could we get some side pics? of them as well? Are either of them cut for the buttstock? Don't suppose you have done a cylinder conversion on either of them

How about any other manufacturing marks on the guns?

thanks

a4beltfed
H&R/NEF 10, 12,16 20 28 ,410 .243 45 357 45lc. 1919a4, uzi, sten mK 2,3,5 M2HB, 1917a1, ak74(2) amd 65, RPK (2) 11 aks and 50 other guns....

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2009, 11:50:10 AM »
Finally!   :o  A post I can get my litigious teeth into!   ;D  But not tonight...  :-\  Club CHRISTmas party tonight... gotta leave in a few... I'll do it tomorrow.... if I wake up... you know how bikers are when we party...  :P

Does the Uberti have the maker markings under the loading rod? How about the pietta? are they on the side of the barrel. Overall they appear very close, are the tool marks on the back frame in the pics really noticable or is that just the pic? Do they both lock up tight? could we get some side pics? of them as well?

How about any other manufacturing marks on the guns?

thanks

a4beltfed
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline streak

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2009, 11:57:46 AM »
AtlLaw,
Keep us posted on how it shoots when you get to the range!
NRA Life time Member
North American Hunting Club
Second Amendment Foundation
Gun Owners of America
Handgun Hunters International

Offline a4beltfed2000

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2009, 01:16:48 AM »
Finally!     A post I can get my litigious teeth into!     But not tonight...    Club Christmas party tonight... gotta leave in a few... I'll do it tomorrow.... if I wake up... you know how bikers are when we party...   

Yeah tell me about it, still recovering from the wifes christmas party on friday, Damn those open/free bars, yesterday morning there wasn't enough water in the world for me to drink!!!! ;D

I have been looking at purchasing one of these for a while, however the only ones that are available in our area are in cabela's and thats 1hr40 minute drive. From my understanding, they vary between the pietta and uberti (in stock) I just want to know if one would be better than the other.
H&R/NEF 10, 12,16 20 28 ,410 .243 45 357 45lc. 1919a4, uzi, sten mK 2,3,5 M2HB, 1917a1, ak74(2) amd 65, RPK (2) 11 aks and 50 other guns....

Offline fistmil

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2009, 01:59:53 AM »
In my opinion, Ubertis are the best. I've had the London model Navy for 29 years and have fired around 2000 rounds through it.
It looks almost as good today as the day I got it. Of all my guns, center fire, cap and ball or flintlock, it is still my favorite.

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2009, 10:37:02 AM »
fistmil...did you have to replace any parts on your Navy?

Offline bedbugbilly

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2009, 11:52:25 AM »
AtlLaw - congrats on geting your '61 Colt Navy!  From your photos, it looks like a beauty and I know you'll love it!  I only shoot .36 (at least for the present time).  I have a '51 Navy, a "58 Remington Navy and a older Navy Arms brass framed, short round barreled .36 that resembles a Griswold & Gunnison.  I am always drooling over the "finds" that some of the fellows run across but today, while at a local gun show, I found my "find".  An older gentleman had a ASM - manufactured for CVA in 1988 -  '61 Colt Navy in the original box - unfired and the cylinder had never been turned on it (according to him and it looks it).  I couldn't believe my luck!  This pistol is absolutely beautiful - perfect finish, perfect fitting, beautiful grips (that actually "fit" - not like some of those on the current Piettas).  I would have to say that it would give the original Colt '61 Navies a run for their money in regards to quality!  The balance of it is wonderful, action is crisp and clean and it just "melts into your hand".  I've always wanted this model but never wanted to pay the price.  I bought this one for $180.00 and am tickled pink.  I was happy, the seller was happy . . so it worked out for both of us.  I'm not familiar on how to post photos here or I would.  I hope that you are as happy with your '61 Colt Navy as I am with the one I bought today.   Best of luck with your new toy and happy shooting!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single one on my right hip is good enough for me.  Besides, I'm probably only half as good as he was anyway . . . . now . . . how do I load this confounded contraption?

Hiram's Rangers - Badge #63

Offline fistmil

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2009, 04:07:00 PM »
Chris, to answer your question...Yes. I have replaced the cylinder bolt twice, and the hand spring assembly once. 
A cap fragment  lodged  between the cylinder and the frame. With out realizing what had happened , I forced the hammer back, breaking the cylinder bolt. I learned my lesson the hard way. The hand spring assembly just wore out.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2009, 01:51:39 PM »
Does the Uberti have <snip>

Still recovering from the party...  :P

A couple more beers and I'll go right to sleep.  Have patience, I'll compare the areas on the Pietta and Uberti complete with pictures... just for you...  soon!   ;D

BTW, do we have a belt fed A4?   ???
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2009, 01:53:42 PM »
congrats on geting your '61 Colt Navy!

Right back at ya!   ;D  Sounds like you got quite a find yourself!  Are you gonna shoot it?   ???
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline bedbugbilly

• Avid Poster
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2009, 03:42:52 PM »
AtlLaw - I plan on shooting the Navy I got yesterday.  I'm in AZ for the winter and hopefully can find a place to try it out.  If not, I'll have to be content on getting a holster rig made and tooled for it until I get back to MI in the spring.  I have a 51 Navy that I've shot for a long time - nothing serious as I'm pretty much just a "plinker".  I bought a 58 Remington Navy earlier this year but haven't had much time to put rounds through that yet.  The way this 61 Navy feels, I have a feeling that it will soon become a favorite though.  I think you'll probably get to a range before I do so I'm anxious to hear what you think of the way your Navy handles and shoots.  I had a 60 Army years ago but traded it off like a fool sometimes does.  I bought it from Dixie and it really was a beautiful piece.  Somehow the one I got came with a fluted cylinder and it was really sharp looking, accurate and fun to shoot.  Since then, I've just shot .36.  One of these days I'll get my 'big boy pants" on and get another .44 but I also know that if I do, I'll have to get bigger balls - probably in more ways than one.   ::)  Let us know what you think of your new Navy and how she handles and shoots.  Thanks!  Best wishes to all for happy and safe holidays!  Sincerely, bedbugbilly
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single one on my right hip is good enough for me.  Besides, I'm probably only half as good as he was anyway . . . . now . . . how do I load this confounded contraption?

Hiram's Rangers - Badge #63

Offline P.A. Myers

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (65)
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2009, 05:07:49 PM »
That solves a mystery for me. I have what appears to be an 1860 in 36. I had to have a hand spring made for it. My smith informed me the action is definately 1851. I just assummed they just hung on a sculpted barrel assembly and called it a '60. So then, it may be an 1861 Navy. I should take a picture of it.

These are my 1860 snubs. The upper is a 45, the lower a 36, both Pietta. These have only fired with conversion cylinders. They have reasonable barroom accuracy. Fun to shoot.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty -
never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense”
 Winston Churchill

Offline a4beltfed2000

• A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2009, 04:28:42 AM »
BTW do we have a beltfed A4.... ???

yep, I have a 1919a4 30 cal browning, also have 1917a1 Watercooled browning, and a M2hb 50 cal browning. Thats all I have for the beltfeds right now.......Been hoping for the m2 watercooled gun, but haven't been lucky enough to find one available, last one I saw for sale was 25k

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2009, 06:19:16 AM »
Ah Ha!  I got a lot of trigger time on those back in the day.  I got to say the most fun was the old Ma Duce.

You ever go to Knob Creek?
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline fistmil

« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2009, 04:57:36 PM »
All this talk about Navies sent me back to the range. The old girl was just as accurate and beautiful  as its maiden voyage. I am a fanatic about cleaning black powder revolvers. I strip it down completely, internal frame parts and all. How often do you all strip down the gun completely? Just curious.

Offline FourBee

« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2009, 05:22:29 PM »
All this talk about Navies sent me back to the range. The old girl was just as accurate and beautiful  as its maiden voyage. I am a fanatic about cleaning black powder revolvers. I strip it down completely, internal frame parts and all. How often do you all strip down the gun completely? Just curious.

New ones right outa the box, and each shooting session there after.   I learned the hard way many years ago.  A good screwdriver set tweaked to fit the screws precisely is nice to have along with a few extra nipples, screws and springs just in case there is a need for one.  I think Cabela's still carries a small repair kit for the Piettas. Dixie Gunworks has lots of parts for the Uberti and Pietta.  You can get carried away shopping from their catalog. ;D ;D

Offline a4beltfed2000

• A Real Regular
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2009, 01:34:04 AM »
yep been to knob creek, bulletfest, and the minong shoot in wisconsin.  Last time at bulletfest burned the riflings out of 2 308 barrels. In fact, put in new barrel, shoot till after noon. Take out new/old barrel, drop it in the dumpster, insert new barrel. ;D  started shooting 8mm in them because of cost.

now with the price of ammo, ole girls just look at me ::)

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2009, 03:33:38 AM »
now with the price of ammo, ole girls just look at me ::)

I know...  :(  I guess the days of cheap surplus are long gone.   :'(

I've still got a few thou of good 5.56 and 7.62 so I'm okay if I don't go crazy.  Need some 7.92x57 and 7.62x54R though...  :-\  And maybe a K of 7.62x39...  ;D

anyway, I still haven't got to pull down the revolver.  And I got to get cooking dinner now.  Maybe after the holidays.  MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!   ;D
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline madcratebuilder

« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2009, 06:14:04 AM »
The 1860 Army was built on the 1851 Navy frame, as the new (British Sheffield steel) metallurgy allowed the cylinder to withstand the load required for the 44.  Attempts to reduce the size and weight of the Dragoon were unsuccessful in experimental models at Colt, but the new steel used allowed the radical downsize from the Dragoon to the 1860 Army.

Sam Colt advertised his new steel as a Colt development, called 'silver steel'.  Did he in reality steal this British Sheffield steel metallurgy and call it his own?

Offline a4beltfed2000

• A Real Regular
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2009, 01:12:17 AM »
Atlaw, 

your killing me ;D but I understand ;D. well if you need a case of 8mm ammo, I have about 50 k left so I could probably sell a box or two ::) happy holidays to you and yours..... ;)