Author Topic: books for casting bullets  (Read 753 times)

Offline Mack in N.C.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
books for casting bullets
« on: December 13, 2009, 02:21:35 PM »
looked at amazon and the selection was not great and the few that looked good were over 200 dollars!....cananyone recommend a few good books on casting from the meting to the reloading.......thanks mack

Offline bubba.50

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (151)
Re: books for casting bullets
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 08:16:58 PM »
lyman cast bullet handbook availible from midsouth shooters supply one of the sponsors of this site. $13.50 and covers a lot of everything. has casting instructions, load data, ballistics, wind drift and a whole lot more. most everyone will agree it's money well spent.
fetch the hammer maggie-they's a bee on the baby's head!

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 02:02:00 AM »
I would add Veral Smith's book, Magma engr.'s book, and one of the best resources are free - if you have an account on Yahoo Groups, subscribe to CB-Book and look at all the .doc files available there.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline Mack in N.C.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 04:11:32 PM »
thanks for the replies

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 11:38:42 AM »
Mack

There is some good info to be had on the net also , including video's on how-to  .

http://www.n-ssa.org/NORTHWEST/Casting%20Bullets.htm

http://www.ehow.com/videos-on_1853_cast-bullet.html

http://www.lasc.us/IndexBrennan.htm

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline lee1954

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 06:28:24 AM »
I just got the lyman cast bullet handbook from Midsouth   -- If you want a lot of reading  about casting but not the most up to date ---
Its first print was 1980... And it is short on info as to newer stuff  ......
 Nothing like -- 357 rifle  --  7mm 08   7.65x39 -It-has most - like- .25-06 .308   plus rimed- 32-20 whinchester... 351 winchester 38-55 and 44-40 -- lots of good old cases made for cast bullets ...
   Many bullets they list,  you can't get the  new molds any more..like the 311440 and more of the good old molds.
 There is a lot of good info,,  sometimes you can read one thing, and a few pages later read,  from a differant Auther  - A differant side  of the casting idea ---
 Also basic handloading --history--some black powder ( didn't see charts) -- a little on paper patching-Casting for hunting ideas--then it has good windage - drop - time in flite---- out to 600 yards,  for each rifle bullet  ---  The book is 416 pages....
   It had two pages writen by a compeition shooter on the 30-06   I wish they had more on each cal.
     I agree with Bubba ,, good book..

The RCBS Cast Bullet Manual  no. 1 (now out of print) has good casting guidelines and ,  loading data  172 pages -----
 I want to get Veral Smith's book  
  I'd like to hear how the Lee reloading book is about  cast ...... Dan