Author Topic: does your average hunter need a 10 12 14 or 16 power scope  (Read 1431 times)

Offline beadlescomb

• Trade Count: (0)
does your average hunter need a 10 12 14 or 16 power scope
« on: December 14, 2009, 03:35:39 PM »
i know more than a handful of friends that have missed oppurtunities at deer because they have there scopes turned up to the highest magnification possible i know that with my fixed power scopes (2.5,4,and 6 power) i have never had a problem out to 200 yards now i do have a couple of scopes on varmint rifles (6-24x56) that never make it to the woods  because they are too heavy and unrealistic atleast for me to use on any game animal here in alabama

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

Re: does your average hunter need a 10 12 14 or 16 power scope
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 03:58:28 PM »
 ;) I would guess you are right.. The average hunter may not need a high power scope, in addition I would say the average hunter from what I read on these posts should not shoot much beyond 200 yards...That is average.. Having always been a gunman, I usually use scopes set on the highest power even in the woods, but thereI have a lower/high power. My 06 has a 2.5-8. I have shot many deer with it in the woods, but can think of maybe one that was moving very fast. Most were standing or walking slowly.. the high power enabled me to pick a hole to shoot though. My Last whitetail was taken with a burris set at 14 power....BUT I handle my guns almost everyday, and when I am in Wy. I shoot every week and at certain times of the year everyday...Plus this buck was across strip mine....

Offline crawford769

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 04:03:37 PM »
for deer hunting i prefer a 2-7x and seldom does it ever come off 2x.  on my 444p marlin i have a 1-3 that rarely goes up to 3x.   we do a lot of deer drives so deer are usually in the woods, running, or both.   i have heard many stories of deer being missed because the scope was accidentally left on the highest power but have never heard of a time when there wasn't time to turn it up.

Offline beadlescomb

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 04:10:02 PM »
i also shoot my rifles regularly but im not sure the wyoming woods are comparable to the woods we have back east im talking 50 to 75 yards in alot of places that we hunt the only long shot you could get around my area would be an agriculture field or maybe a gas/power line where you could reasonably justify shooting 300-400 yards

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 04:15:18 PM »
 ;) I have shot many deer in the Pa. and W. Va. woods. Sorry I didn't explain.. Here in Wy. I don't hunt the timber if I can avoid it... In Pa. lately I have been hunting on an old reclaimed strip mine... Love it, but still hunt the timber there some...When I spoke of shooting deer in the woods it was Pa. and lW.Va.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 04:17:19 PM »
If you can't get the job done with a 3-9X40 it's too far to be shooting at live animals.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 04:20:47 PM »
low power variables are good. Low fixed power for the job at hand is better.

I switched my deer rifle to a fixed 6 power scope last year.
I just remind people that "shooting this at 300yds is like iron sights at 50yds"
4x is plenty for the average hunter at 200yds.

Offline beadlescomb

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 04:22:47 PM »
10-4 fair enough but honestly i cant see why anyone would want a scope set to 12 power to shoot at a deer thats 20 to 70 yards away

Offline 84Jim

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 04:50:42 PM »
I was thinking about this very topic while deer hunting last week.  My go-to M70 30-06 carries a 2-7x.  I switch between 3x while moving thru the thick stuff, and 5x if standing where it is fairly open.  A fixed 4x would do me just fine for 99.9% of the hunting that I do.

If I know I'm going to just sit and watch fields where a longer shot might happen, I use a 25-06 with a 4-12x, but rarely choose to go above 8x.  I find that gun too bulky and heavy to do too much walking.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2009, 11:35:31 PM »
If fixed power scopes were cheaper I'd use one.  A 4X and a 2-7X cost the same.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline jlwilliams

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009, 01:07:24 AM »
  I think that some people get carried away with  the "more is better" thinking when they buy their scopes.  I don't know hoe many guys I have heard talking about setting up a .308 to be thousand yard gun.  There isn't anyplace to shoot that far within miles of here, but guys do buy the optics for it.

As years go by, and someone misses a shot or two because of too much magnification, they often replace their scopes with more apropriate magnification.

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2009, 03:49:48 AM »
Lately I've been putting 3.5x10 or 4x12 Leupolds on all of my new rifles.  Mostly because they are shot at the range more than in the field.  Having said that, when in the field, I always leave them at the lowest power setting.  I still use the 2x7 on my 7x57 and .375HH.  A fixed 2.5x scout on my 45/70.  I use a 4x16 on my 17HMR, a 3x9 on my 22lr, a 6.5x18 on each of my 223s, 4x12 on my 243 and 270, 3.5x10 on my 06 and .300.

Would I ever use the higher magnification...yep..if I need it.  There was a pronghorn on Montana that I shot at 7x with a 270 that I wished I had more power.  I did hit him, but, I'd have been more comfortable with a bit more power.  There was also a pure bred mouflon in Tx that was on a far slope...12x would have been preferrable to the 7x max that I had.  Since I harvested each, the power was adequate, but, would a liked a bit more.  Just my 2 cents...rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline ToadHill

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2009, 04:08:39 AM »
I have a 10X on my .222 Sako and it's great for woodchucks out 300 yards or so.  On my deer gun I have a 3-9 and I've never had it over a 5.
I can't control my day, but I can control my attitude.

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2009, 04:17:04 AM »
I have heard one good reason for big variables on hunting rifles.
Crank up it to sight in and down to hunt.

The one rifle I have with a big variable is my 223. It has to pull duel duty.
Sniping prairie dogs and calling coyote. (Been eying a lite 243 to fix that.)

Offline jasonprox700

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2009, 03:13:05 PM »
I think a 3-9 will cover the majority of hunters need, including my own.  My high powered scopes are on my varmint/bench guns.  I wouldn't even consider sticking one of them on my deer rifles .

This year I shot a doe with my 3-9x50 Nikon on my .280.  She was running in a wide open marsh.  After she was down, I thought to myself how 1 or 2 power would be.  I would like to pick up a .300 WM sometime in the next year and the scope I would like to put on it is a Bushnell 6500, 2.5-16x50.  It would be nice to have the higher end of the power spectrum if I ever need it.  I always like to have options available.

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2009, 11:27:45 PM »
Question...
does your average hunter need a 10 12 14 or 16 power scope

Answer ....... Nope!

Offline beadlescomb

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2009, 11:58:00 AM »
i really like the little bushnell banner dusk to dawn scopes they are clear and make a good scope for the price range its 70 to 80 dollars and i have one on my muzzleloader and another on a single shot 308

Offline TribReady

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2009, 12:33:11 PM »
I like the 9x for sighting in and between 3 and 6 for hunting.
Pretty much keep it at 4.5 or 5 in the field.

One good thing about 14 and 16 power, though....I can be on graybeard at home and watch the neighbor's computer across the street periodically, without leaving my seat  :D
A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have. -Thomas Jefferson

...if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.  -2 Chronicles 7:14

Offline PowPow

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2009, 03:39:38 PM »
beadlescomb - You and I are on the same page. I hunt in the woods around the Cahaba in Perry Co. I have a 6-18 on my coyote/crow gun and 6-24 Banner I use to develop loads, but I use a 1.5-4.5 Banner on my handirifle for deer, usually set on 1.5 in the woods and greenfields. Only set it on 4.5 if I need to count points. I like the compactness of it. The last deer I shot was 5 yards away. The sound of chewing is what woke me up.
The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Offline Bearcat 74

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Contributor
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2009, 04:04:37 PM »
The guns that I mainly deer hunt with are:

260 Rem - VariXII 3-9x40
30/06 - M8 4x
358 Winchester - VariXIII 1.75-6x36
45/70 - Peep Sights
30/30 - Contender Pistol 2x20mm
35 Remington - 1-3x20mm

The only one I would change is the .260, I wish it had a 2-7.  People here think I am odd because I don't have 3-9, 4-12 or 6-18's on every gun I own.  Most of my deer are killed under 50yds, don't really need a 6-18 for that.

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2009, 04:29:40 PM »
Well I guess that depends on how far your going to shoot and what you consider an average hunter is.  I sure wouldn't have wanted to be stuck with a 4 or 6x with the last 2 gun bucks I've shot which were both over 350 yards.  Now if your going to be in the brush, you probably would be better off with open sights.  Which is why the average hunter has more than one gun.  Depends on the situation.  I guess if you don't need a 10x scope you probably don't need anything over a 30-30 either.
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2009, 09:49:23 PM »
Hmmmm despite not needing  more than 6x magnification really I have just brought a 2.8-10x44 Simmons Aetec Master Series scope all due to the price  :-[ and fashion. It seems that as "everyone"  ::) wants these varibles that's what the makers are putting out  :( the scope is to go on a recent acquisition that is fitted with Leupold mounts, the old Refield type, and as it's on a M98 actioned Parker-Hale 1200C a scope with a long body tube and generous eye relief is called for if I am to achieve the correct eye relief.

At present I have an Apollo 5 Star 6x40AO scope on it but the eye relief is not perfect  ::) went to change the mounts and found that whoever fitted them used up at least a tube of loctite and I cannot get the front mounting screw out as the hex in the socket screw is stripped out. So it will need a new screw and drilling out. As I didn't have  scope to go on another recent aquisition .................. a 1956 vintage BSA Hunter in .222 rem I picked up a Simmons Pro Hunter Master series 3-10x44WA for a good price on the suggestion of some American friends and so far it's proving to be a useful scope set on 6x magnification and the Aetec is supposed to be even better......................................... we shall see  ;) .

I first tried an older Simmons 6-19x40AO Competition Air Gun scope that I robbed off a .22 L/R BSA Supersport Five rifle and tried it on the P-H 1200C but that Comp Air Gun scope is meant to be for Field Target Air Rifle shooting and so has a very narrow depth of field as it's built to be used as a range finder and used as such on 18x magnification. As a result it needs re-focussing when you switch target distance and that's not much use for a stalking rifle ::) :(  Hopefully the new Aetec will arrive in this mornings post however knowing how poor our postal service is and especially at this time of year I am not holding my breathe even though it was posted First class two days ago and as such should have arrived yesterday  >:(.

One thing I see mentioned here is the use of high magnification for sighting in then lower magnifications for actually hunting. I wonder if those people have actually checked to see if the POI alters when they change the magnification setting? some scopes especially the cheaper ones will and do. Pecar recommend sighting in at the highest magnification on their scopes butt hen again they're not in the budget range  ;)

So despite not needing nor really wanted a higher magnification scope I have another of them, or will have when it arrives  ;), all because of some percieved need foisted upon us by the ad men and the gun writers after all has anyone ever approached your and asked you opinion or wants/needs for scopes? ................. I'll bet not same as me and all the time nearly every article published on scopes pushes and praises the "Super" varibles  ::) :( and if we admit it the majority of shooters who buy scopes are totally unaware of what they actually need so go with the recomendations of these gun hacks and the glossy ads. Clever marketing strikes again  ::)

Oh have a very nice christmas and I hope what you have wished for is under the tree  ;D

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2009, 03:49:50 AM »
Morning All,

I'm respectful of all of your opinions...all well thought out and perfectly valid.  As is mine...I like having scopes of 3x10 or 4x12.  Yes...I leave them at the lower power and no the impact or POI doesn't change thank-you very much.  I've been pleased to have the ability of using a higher power when  I felt the need.  There have been occasions where I wished I had some power above 7x when hunting small animals, deer, pronghorn, mouflon or blackbuck at reletively long distances...but...that's my choice. 

I agree with the very elequent Brit and some others...a 6x is probably all you might need 95% of the time. But, I also agree with buckskin with a caveat... If you don't need higher powers, "you probably don't need anything over a 30-30 either."

Just my opinion...what do I know......
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2009, 03:51:45 AM »
Which is why the average hunter has more than one gun. 

I'm with you there. When I had one 25-06 it had a 3-9x30 so that it could do anything.
I now have a rifle for every type of game in my area.

Offline youthpastorjon

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2009, 03:58:39 AM »
I have a bunch of variable powered scopes like most of you.  However, I have never shot a deer except on the lowest power my scope offered which is three.  I shot an animal this year at almost 250 yards using 3 power.  I could have gone up to ten.  I like to increase the power just to judge an animal but never shoot on a real high power.

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2009, 09:37:18 AM »
I have a bunch of variable powered scopes like most of you.  However, I have never shot a deer except on the lowest power my scope offered which is three.  I shot an animal this year at almost 250 yards using 3 power.  I could have gone up to ten.  I like to increase the power just to judge an animal but never shoot on a real high power.

Am I the only one that thinks this odd......
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2009, 09:55:29 AM »
 ;) No I think it is odd also, but I can see why some might do this..At 12 or 14 power one's scope has lots of wiggles that are not apparent at 3 or 4 power...So he may think he is making a better shot...In reality, if you are not steady at 14, you are not steady at 3...I forget we are talking about the average deer hunter here...He probably doesn't pick up his rifle til deer season, and as one guy said he found he had no shells, so had to use another rifle...Amazing to me. The hunt is most important to me, as are the rifles or pistols I use. To some it is merely a couple day thing... If they get game fine, if not there is next year..I guess maybe this is good, much game escapes that would not from a serious well prepared hunter. But on the down side, I am sure much game it hit and lost due to the lack of preperation... Since I have never been just an average hunter in interest, I cannot understand the unconern of some who hunt...I don't mean to imply I was not ever an average or below hunter is skill, just my interest was always far above average...Most hunt a couple days, and set their rifle in the corner or rack until next season..They may even clean it and once every couple seasons sight it in...After a fashion...I don't mean to offend Youth say he does this, but I know plenty who act in this fashion..One group of brothers, sighted in their trusty 30-30's, 308's, and 30-06's in on a refrigerator box.  They each shot a couple shots OFHAND and called it good enough..I kid you not. Sad, but true...Some where I read a statement to the effect that there are hunters and people who occasionally hunt. I fear most of the 'average" hunters fall in to the people who occasionally hunt...

Offline john keyes

• A Real Regular
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2009, 10:06:56 AM »
doesn't matter to me.  its a free country. if someone wants to pickout the lice on a deer at 50 yds while their scope is cranked up to 32X thats fine with me
Though taken from established manufacturers' sources and presumed to be safe please do not use any load that I have posted. Please reference Hogdon, Lyman, Speer and others as a source of data for your own use.

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2009, 10:55:36 AM »
Most of  my scopes range between 2.5X8 to 4.5X14.  I always hunt with the scope on it's lowest power.  I hunt from stationary enclosed stands (some on the ground and most elevated).  Unless my shot opportunity is inside 100 yds or on a running deer, I crank my power up to the highest number and if practical, take a head or neck shot.  As soon as I fire, I turn the power back to the lowest setting again.

I don't recall ever taking a shot with a scopes power set to anything expect the highest or lowest settings.  Truthfully 9X or 10X is enough for any big game animal.  On the lower end, I've never wanted anything less than 3X, with on exception.  I have an old Rem 742 with a 1X4 on it.  I once stalked though a flooded cut-down, jumping deer from grassy islands that were dry.  A shotgun would have been fine but the little VX-II set on its lowest power was just the ticket for shots at flushing deer.  The FOV was so great at 1-2X that I could  see my barrel in the sight picture.  I think that aided me in a fast sight aquisition and follow up shots.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2009, 11:41:54 AM »
I agree and disagree.  When I hunt with my 243, it's usually where I have an open area like a powerline or gas line easement.  I will take a head shot or neck shot any chance I get, so I keep the scope on a higher power.  If I'm woods hunting, I will use either my 45-70 with aperture sight, or my 357 with 3x9 set on 3 power.  When I did have a scope on the 45-70 it was a shotgun scope.
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)