Author Topic: Hastings barrel and ammo - out of business  (Read 2157 times)

Offline jjas

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Hastings barrel and ammo - out of business
« on: December 15, 2009, 06:19:54 PM »
Saw today on another site that the Hastings Barrel and Ammo company is out of business.  I sent them (hastings) an email myself to verify.  

Here's the text of the email......

The Hastings Barrel Company has closed. The remaining inventory of barrels, ammo & chokes will be liquidated by Kull's Old Town Station online ONLY auction beginning early 2010.
Please see www.ArmsBid.com, and sign up for email notification and you'll receive notice of the auction. Thanks for your interest.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Hastings barrel and ammo - out of business
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 02:27:37 AM »
Wow that's likely not a good sign for the industry. Hastings wasn't all that large but they had a pretty solid business I thought making shotgun barrels and choke tubes for theirs and other manufacturer's barrels. I wonder if their expansion into ammo is what did them in.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline wganz

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 03:14:28 AM »
Wow that's likely not a good sign for the industry. Hastings wasn't all that large but they had a pretty solid business I thought making shotgun barrels and choke tubes for theirs and other manufacturer's barrels. I wonder if their expansion into ammo is what did them in.

I handle a thread on another forum for the best deals on ammo, and can tell you from this experience that ammo prices are free falling almost as fast as gun prices. The +20% real unemployment rate is taking a big chunk out of spending.

Offline mospurs

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 08:53:21 AM »
insider industry info

gentleman who owned hastings had a stroke i believe

Offline coop

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 09:36:17 AM »
So..... does that make Hastings barrels worth more or less???

Offline jjas

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 10:37:38 AM »
Here's an update I received from Dave Henderson......

Rich Knoster, who runs the ammo section of Hastings from Pennsylvania, was caught totally unaware by closing. Hadn't even talked with his bosses when he talked to me yesterday. He retains the patent, sabot molds and was the guy who ordered the components and oversaw loading, so he'll either load some himself this year under another label or team up with another slug company. He also says that someone is interested in picking up the import side for slug barrels. The whole thing will likely shake out in late January. It has to be quick since components must be ordered and shipped from France early in the year to have slugs available by summer.

Offline IOWA DON

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 06:15:48 AM »
Were they the company that made the "metro" barrels for shotguns. That is, the long extensions to quiet the muzzle blast to acceptable levels for in-city goose hunting when used with sub-sonic loads?

Offline jjas

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 09:45:55 AM »
Were they the company that made the "metro" barrels for shotguns. That is, the long extensions to quiet the muzzle blast to acceptable levels for in-city goose hunting when used with sub-sonic loads?

Yes. 

Offline ptpalpha

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 03:56:28 PM »
That stinks.  I've been meaning to buy some extended tubes for my 1100's Paradox barrel, but never got around to it.  Guess I'll sign up for the auction and hope for the best. 
Great barrels, by the way.