Author Topic: Just passed my Canadian Handgun test  (Read 1383 times)

Offline Fasteel

• Trade Count: (0)
Just passed my Canadian Handgun test
« on: December 15, 2009, 06:48:16 PM »
Well in Canada.
 if you wish to own and shoot any handgun you must take and pass an exam of 80% or higher. So I took the test on the weekend and soon I will be liscensed  to own handguns. The real bad thing about it is you can only take them to and from the range, no hunting with them or with your AR variant allowed.

So now how decide if I would like to have a revolver of a semi auto? Are any of these guns more accurate than an other?
Thanks FS

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Just passed my Canadian Handgun test
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 02:10:55 AM »
it depends on what your comparing. A match quality 1911 will probably outshoot a revolver but its not guranteed as ive seen some revolvers that just plain shoot! But if your comparing a glock or any other pure self defense autos to a good smith revolver id have to opt for the revolver. Considering you cant carried consealed and its going to be just range shooting if i was looking for a good accurate handgun i would probably recomend a target sighted 1911.
blue lives matter

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 02:12:12 AM »
I hope you don't take this as a SA answer.
Both can be as accurate as the other.
I think you need to decide what format you like the best and go from there.
rent a few--you don't have to decide TODAY.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Autorim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 02:24:08 AM »
Fasteel

Congratulations on making the grade. Will you be reloading?

Ken

Offline P.A. Myers

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (65)
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 02:59:51 AM »
Revolvers have always been my preference. Years ago I bought a Ruger P-85 9mm auto. A very good gun, I gave it to my son.

Shoot a variety of guns if you can, particularly autos. They have a very different 'feel' in different types. Accurate won't matter in a gun you are not comfortable with.

Merry Christmas
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty -
never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense”
 Winston Churchill

Offline Fasteel

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 07:52:07 PM »
Thanks fellas

Autorim, I'm set up to load rifle, but I don't Think I will load for handgun. FS

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 03:23:27 AM »
If you are restricted to pure range use, target shooting, plinking etc. a good 6" barreled S&W .357 revolver with target sites is hard to beat.  You can shoot comfortable .38 wad cutters or full house .357 mags. and since you already load for your rifles it would be nothing for you to start loading for a revolver.  If you plan to shoot regularly it will save you a bundle of money.  As a bonus a 6" .38/357 revolver makes a formidable home defense gun.  If I was under your restrictions this is the rout I would take.   
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 10:58:11 AM »
As a bonus a 6" .38/357 revolver makes a formidable home defense gun. 

If you ever had the misfortune or lack of foresight to use your handgun for that purpose you will be in a great big pot of trouble!!
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline P.A. Myers

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 02:32:59 PM »
Dear BBf;
  Here in the states we have criminals. It is a natural assumption that you may have to shoot a bad guy. Nobody, I hope, wants to. Many people when given a choice between harm to themselves or family and legal problems, Will blow away some mad-dog scumbag.

Merry Christmas 
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty -
 Winston Churchill

Offline Brett

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 03:23:18 PM »
BBF,

Are you telling us that the use of deadly force in self defense or to protect the lives of your family is illegal in Canada?   If so I hope you each have your own private Mountie assigned to you 24/7. 

Offline Autorim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2009, 05:52:22 PM »
Fasteel,

If you are only going to use it at the range why not a good .22 rimfire? What about availability and price of ammo and components? My .22's that I shoot the most are the S&W 617 and M41.

Ken

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2009, 07:52:08 PM »
I would look at a good quality single action or double action revolver, maybe a 6 inch barrel.  .22 rimfire, .38spl / .357 mag, or any caliber really if you reload.  Just as accurate as any semi-auto, with the added benifit of being a lot easier to collect your fired brass (always hate having to pick brass in a crowded indoor range fired from a semi-auto).

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline P.A. Myers

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2009, 09:24:29 PM »
Brass recovery is a large part of my preference for revolvers, rolling blocks and contenders.
 Winston Churchill

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2009, 08:43:21 AM »
BBF,

Are you telling us that the use of deadly force in self defense or to protect the lives of your family is illegal in Canada?   If so I hope you each have your own private Mountie assigned to you 24/7. 

Brett. This is not a simple yes or no situation. Of course everybody wants to protect himself and family.

It is a question of justified homicide which the prosecution will try long and hard to prove was not there to start with. Your legal costs will be staggering, guaranteed.
What were your options?

They Govt. will come up with all kinds of "You should have's done this or that... including running away and handing over whatever is demanded.

The next problem for you will be be fact that you had access to your handgun to repel an intruder. Storage regulation of a restricted firearm are stringent and the mere fact that you could readily defend yourself by using that firearm is prove that it was not stored/secured properly.
You have less problem by crushing the intruderes skull with a baseball bat or a meat cleaver.

There are only two(2) legit reasons for a Canadian to own a handgun.
1. Your occupation(very few qualify)
2. Target shooting.

Personal or home defense does NOT qualify

Offline Brett

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2009, 10:34:27 AM »
BBF,

2. Target shooting.

I'm sorry to hear that your Government thinks that your life and property should be free for the taking.  I guess I won't be moving to the Great White North anytime soon and I pray that we wake up here in the US before our Government places the same type of draconian laws on us.

Offline wareagleguy

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2009, 12:45:12 PM »
Sure glad I live in the U.S.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Offline Tommyt

• Trade Count: (51)
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2009, 02:48:36 AM »
Sure glad I live in the U.S.
You won't be when Obango Finish's up

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2009, 02:16:03 PM »
I have been trying to stay warm in not so sunny Florida for a while. While watching news on a local channel it appears that there is a large amount of shootings and other violent crimes going on, even in this area which is not near any large city.

I don't have even a fraction of that sort of thing back in rural Nova Scotia so the idea of not having a handgun ready isn't near as disturbing as it would be for a number of you.
If I was in a high crime area a defender type shotgun would be ready nearby.

Offline Fasteel

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2009, 02:41:39 PM »
Fasteel,

If you are only going to use it at the range why not a good .22 rimfire? What about availability and price of ammo and components? My .22's that I shoot the most are the S&W 617 and M41.

Ken

kinda had my eyes on a Buckmark, I have the heavy barrel rifle which is a great gun, perhaps the handgun is a good product as well.
thanks Greg

Offline Fasteel

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2009, 02:45:33 PM »
BBF,

2. Target shooting.

I'm sorry to hear that your Government thinks that your life and property should be free for the taking.  I guess I won't be moving to the Great White North anytime soon and I pray that we wake up here in the US before our Government places the same type of draconian laws on us.

pretty sure the USA is the only country left in the free world where shooting an intruder isn't a no no.  FS

Offline Brett

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2009, 04:31:35 PM »
It isn't a free world if you can't defend yourself IMHO.

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2009, 03:15:18 PM »
It isn't a free world if you can't defend yourself IMHO.

You may do that here as well, using a handgun for it is another thing.

Personally I have a handy Samurai sword at a good location and it would give me more pleasure to do a little chopping and cutting on a squealing in terror intruder then putting a bullet in him. ;) ;D

Offline Brett

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2009, 03:26:48 PM »
So self defense is okay as long as you use a tool that the government deems to be acceptable.

I.e.: gun = bad     sword = okay

I would conciser both a lethal weapon so I don't understand why one is acceptable and the other not.  After all dead is dead, there is not gunshot dead and head chopped off dead.

More to the point does one not have the right to use deadly force to protect ones self from serious bodily harm or possible death or not?   If the answer to that question is yes then what the #%!! difference does it make whether you use a gun or a baseball bat to defend yourself with.

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2009, 03:58:06 PM »
Brett :)
If these laws were based on common sense you would be correct. When you deal with govt types, common sense is seldom involved.

I can only tell you that here you may defend yourself only to the point the attack is no longer a threat to you. Lawyers get rich on cases like that and it usually the victim that pays.
BTW, there are other bodyparts that can be chopped off instead of a head. :D

Difference between gun and sword:
One is very regulated the other isn't :)  at least not so far ::)

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2009, 04:02:35 PM »
BBF I would nat advise you to bring a sword to a gunfight, a Jap tried that on my uncle Melvin in WW2, moral of the story, uncle Melvin was still around to tell me the story. The Jap never got to tell his Nephews that story.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline BillP

« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2009, 06:55:10 AM »
I am a retired police officer from the US.  Many years ago I was traveling in Ontario and had occasion to chat for a spell with an OPP (Ontario Provincial Police) officer.  I commented on his flap holster and that his handgun leather in general didn't look designed for easy access.  He replied, "why would he want to take his handgun out anyway?"  I mentioned that he might have to dispatch the occasional injured dog or deer to which he replied that, "he would get the carbine out of the trunk".  When I said that a 30-30 was a lot of firepower for a job like that, he said that using the carbine for such a task was just a "log entry" for him.  Even taking the handgun from his holster required that several reports be written and filed.  He said he "didn't even want to think of the paperwork involved if he were to fire his handgun".  I suspect he might have been pulling my leg but it was obvious that rifles were more acceptable than handguns.

Offline CHUNK

« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2009, 04:41:48 PM »
BillP  Your comments are basicly true. A lot of paper work involved .But dated .The OPP are issued Sig 40 cals and RUGER Mini 14's now.How ever some of there training , and firearm knowledge is scary.Cheers Chunk

Offline jhm

« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2010, 04:41:58 AM »
Back in the early 60s I dated a girl in Windsor, he father was a windsor Police Officer and he said he had to leave his handgun at the station at the end of his shift, I dont know if it was true or just something he did, BUT I never saw his handgun when he came home.   Jim

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2010, 08:00:23 AM »
RCMP officers do carry off duty  ;)

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2010, 09:28:43 AM »
Fasteel;

The Buck Mark would be a great target gun. As mentioned before, with the price of ammo these days,a .22 LR is a great option for plinking and target shooting. I have 4 and you never out grow them. If (heaven forbid) you ever did have to protect yourself and loved ones from an intruder (life over Canadian legalities), you can easily (no recoil) empty 10 rounds into the evil one in just a couple of seconds. A .22 is not exactly the top self-defense round, but the number of people killed with them each year is amazing.

If you ever want something with a bit more oomph (a centerfire cartridge) I'd do what Brett said and get a .357 revolver. There you have three power loads: .38, .38+P, and .357 mag. And you have quite a range within the .357 loads: light shooting 110-gr. loads, up to filling-rattling 180 to 200-gr hunting loads.

If you are limited to target shooting don't over look Ruger single action revolvers (Blackhawks & Vaqueros). They are a lot of fun to shoot. The danger with single action guns is that you will never be happy with just one. You'll always have to get another . . . and another . . . and another . . .
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."