Poll

Which Broadhead is the Best?

Muzzy
13 (81.3%)
Nap
3 (18.8%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: Broadheads  (Read 1560 times)

Offline Bomber Boy

• Trade Count: (0)
Broadheads
« on: December 17, 2009, 03:07:46 AM »
Hi guys.
Could anyone of you guys tell which Broadhead is the best for a beginner.
Any info would be great.

I prefer the fixed blade broadheads.

Thank you.

Bomber Boy

Offline kansasj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Re: Broadheads
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 02:06:33 PM »
For the beginner of pro---Muzzy 100gr 3 blade w/1-3/16 diameter cut
Yesterday is history--tomorrow is a mystery--today is a gift!---That is why they call it the present!

Offline kinslayer1965

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 02:46:47 PM »
The muzzy 100 grain gets my vote. I used one to kill my biggest buck ever this last November.
A man without a stick will get bitten, even by sheep.

Offline KP

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 09:31:28 PM »
Either one is good, but did you only list NAP & Muzzy because of the price (about $30.00 for 6)?

If so, take a look at Innerloc. They are roughly the same price and are all I use for practice and hunting. I'm a BIG fan of practicing with what you hunt with. I've shot three moose with them, two pass thru's on moose, one at 27 yds the other at 61 yds! The third was a steep upward shot and burried in the spine.

Good luck.

Offline hunt-m-up

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 01:59:18 AM »
Neither, look at the Wasp line, but Muzzy if you must.
Crosman Slingshot, Daisy Red Ryder, dull butter knife

Offline varmitbob

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2009, 03:25:00 PM »
Slick Tricks are great.  I use 125gr.  No weak Aluminum, some of the heaviest blades, and the blades interlock during assembly.  These fly great, and only shoot 3" below my filed points.  They are even $10 cheaper per 3 broad heads than most quality broad heads.  The link below is one of the most comprehensive studies I have seen on braod heads.

http://tradgang.com/ashby/Broadhead%20Performance.htm

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 10:40:39 AM »
slick tricks are good. I could not get them to shoot like my field points
but the G5 Montec would so that is what i carry, it is a steel fixed blade.
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • Sweet Home Alabama
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 11:22:01 AM »
Muzzy 100 grain 3 Blade.
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 09:50:38 AM »
what do you guys do to the muzzies to make them shoot?
i tried 100gr and 125gr would not shoot in the 6inch circle  the slick tricks i could keep in the 6inch circle but the g5 montec and the razor would shoot same
as my field tips.
Rex

Offline kansasj

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2009, 01:02:37 AM »
Muzzys have always shot good out of the box for me.  I really like the 90gr 4 blade but have opted for the 100gr 3 blade for a little bigger cut.  I use the 75gr 3 blade for antelope hunting to flatten them out a little bit.
I shoot underspined arrows and that might account for some of the good flight.   Also when I installed a rip cord fall away it tightned my groups a bunch.
I think Montec, Thunderhead, magnus, Slick Trick, etc are all good and will do the job.   As long as it is not a mechanical--- to each his own.
Yesterday is history--tomorrow is a mystery--today is a gift!---That is why they call it the present!

Offline kinslayer1965

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2009, 02:27:08 AM »
I have always had good luck with the muzzies right out of the box as well. The only time I had any trouble with them was after retiring my Mathews SQ and going to my new PSE Xforce. I was getting 325 fps with my hunting arrows and having some major planing issues. I added weight sleeves to my arrows and bumped them up to 475grains and slowed them down to 280 fps. They now group so well that I dont shoot more than one arrow at any given spot on a target under 30 yards. I spend to much time fixing fletchings if I do. I also went to Blazer vanes a few years ago and my broadhead tuning has gotten easier. I have also found arrows to be a major variable in getting proper arrrow flight with broadheads. I went through many different makes before settling on the carbon force pro shafts. Consistent arrows will not make a badly set up bow shoot better but they will help someone who has their bow tuned properly get consistent results with fixed blade broadheads. I buy the bare shafts and do the rest myself. I also number the shafts and take note of the number if I have a flier in any group. If the same number keeps comming up on the flier list I take it and strip it down to bare shaft and start over again. Seems like a lot of work but I actually enjoy it and it gets you more familiar with your bow set up which makes diagnosing any issues easier.

Just my .02 hope it helps.
A man without a stick will get bitten, even by sheep.

Offline varmitbob

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2009, 03:30:20 PM »
If you have a fixed blade head like slick trick, muzzy, or montec they should fly consistenetly.  You need to go to a reputable bow shop and have them set your bow up.  Something is wrong if you can not get these to fly properly.  Do not just go to the box stores, go to a real bow shop.  There is no reason any of these quality broad heads will not fly.  You have a bow tuning issue, or an issue with the arrow you are using.
The only degree of seperation for me is the construction of the broad head.  All Steel or go Home, no weak aluminum!  They may fly ok, but when they hit bone??????

Offline .50cal

• Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2010, 08:11:09 AM »
I've used both and have killed with both my pick is the MUZZY because of the way the blades lock in and stay inplace better. I am now trying slick tricks and love them so far.... I also agree with Varmitbob on the tuning of a bow and of the correct arrow being used

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2010, 11:10:12 AM »
From what i am reading any bow that is tuned right should shoot about
any broad head as well as field tips.
I have mine tuned buy a bow shop that says not all bows shoot the same
broad heads the same. I can put 6- field tips in a 3" circle from 20-35 yds
pretty much all day, can put the G5 same, slick trick close. I have ask several
people at the shop about the muzzy 125 and none shoot them.
Guess it is like saying all rifles shoot all bullets the same.
I don't claim to be an expert, but i do know some.
Rex

Offline Mustache

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2010, 02:21:10 PM »
From my dealings with broadheads I have found the only true test is to paper soot them to find out what the arrow is doing right out of the bow. If the arrow is punching perfect holes out of the bow it will have better results down range. If you  have a tear in the paper either up down left or right there are some adjustments needed. Either draw weight,rest alignment nock position or spine weight of the arrow. I shoot the Muzzy 100gr 3 blade and tuned my bow to shoot them. However once I tuned it to shoot them I did not retune it to shoot field tips for practice. Any quality bow should shoot any quality broadheads with just some fine tuning.

Good Luck

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2010, 10:34:51 AM »
OK
i see what you are saying. I did not have to retune my bow to shoot the
g5, it shot same as field tips as did the rage 2 blade practice tips.
I didn't want to shoot the mechanical so i stayed with the g5 because
i wanted to shoot field tips as well without retuning.
I am sure i can tune my bow to shoot what ever but would have to retune
every time i shoot field tips. the muzzys were just too far off.
slick tricks will be my next if i decide to shoot broadheads without retuning
The g5 montec is all steel 3 blade, no plastic body, no assembly, just screw it on and let
er fly
Rex

Offline kansasj

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2010, 01:29:17 AM »
Right on Rex!
If one tunes his bow and it shoots field tips in an acceptable fashion you don't "tune" it again to shoot broadheads.  If your broadheads fly 4 inches consistantly to the left lets say of where your field tips went you just move the sight pins.  You will also note that on one day your broadheads nail the target in exciting groups and three days later they seem to stay a bit and you are temped to tune and reset your pins.  Do not.  It is not your bow it is you.
I often shoot from a sitting position as I might from a tree stand or blind when hunting antelope and it is interesting as to how it affects flight.  Also on a warm day in a tee shirt you will group different then when is is 5 degrees above and you look like the philsbury doughboy.
I still like the "one shot groups" as that is what happens in real hunting conditions.  If you shoot long enough on any day you will get an exciting group but under actual conditions you get one shot, usually 90% of the time under 20yds and this is the only shot that really matters.