Author Topic: to long?  (Read 599 times)

Offline billnoe

• Trade Count: (4)
to long?
« on: December 17, 2009, 04:27:00 PM »
I was trying to figure out the oal for my 35 whelen barrel. I used a case shot out of the gun, barely seated the bullet colored it up with a sharpie, and stuck it in and closed it up. Opened it up pulled out the case and bullet. Measured, it came out to be 3.633. Five times in a row.  bullet is barley seated in the case. Did I do something wrong. I know the oal in the book is for S.A.A.M.I. but this seems really long to me.

Gun-  Encore
bullet- 225 nosler accubond
case- 30-06 remington resized

Offline mauser98us

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
  • 10 mm junkie and Whelan wacko
Re: to long?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 05:55:22 PM »
looks like a long throat. Try a 250 grain spitzer, then try a round nose and see if either engages the lands. If it's still too long, as long as you seat the 225 grainer at the minimum of caliber size,which is .358,this may be the best you can get.

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 06:01:42 PM »
I'm new at this too but kinda ran into the same trouble with my handi using a nosler balistictip, really long measurements.
 Then I figured out the bullet was sticking in the rifleing. Try bending the tip of the cartridge neck on a flat surface a little bit so it has a better grab on the bullet. I used a dremel and cut a slit on a once fired case so I can squeeze it together then slip a bullet init.
 Others will add to this, and I hope correct me here if I'm wrong, but if we mess with overall and sammi spec looking for a seating depth, each box of bullet you use has to be tested individually to find dead seat (or what ever it's called when bullet contacts the lands) then back up from there,,as a newbie I'm going to stay away from the lands.

It's tough to understand the books,,Hornady and Sierra list a different coal for each of their bullet styles with-in a given weight, Nosler only lists sammi OAL for all their bullets, then Barnes sayz 30-70 off the lands,,common! Another $70 tool?
found elsewhere

Offline Steve P

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 07:13:03 AM »
Something I have done a few times trying to confirm OAL on my Contenders:  Close action on an empty chamber.  Insert cleaning rod into muzzle until cleaning rod makes contact with action face.  Mark cleaning rod with sharpie.   Get wooden pencil and scotch tape a bullet to the flat part of a new eraser.  Mark bullet up with sharpie so you can see any marks made by rifling.  Insert pencil with bullet attached into chamber end until you feel bullet making contact with rifling.  Insert cleaning rod into muzzle until cleaning rod makes contact with bullet.  Mark cleaning rod.  Check bullet.  Marks from rifling?  The distance between the two marks on the cleaning rod is approximately your OAL.  Subtract the length of any marking on the bullet so you know OAL to touching the lands.  Subtract another .010" or so for first trial load.  This will give you .010" jump to the lands.  If you are measuring for a hornet or similar cartridge, you may have to use a wooden chop stick or similar smaller diameter wood when inserting the bullet.  The wood rod helps you feel when the bullet touches the lands.

Good luck.  Hope this helps a little.

Steve :)
"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 01:59:13 PM »
billnoe

Sometimes you will never be able to get to the lands , just a fact of life . In most cases the listed COL is going to give you the best a round can give .

Now before everyone gets too carried away , the powder and bullet companies , along with SAMMI , have done just a wee bit of testing to find a COL that will not only chamber in almost all factory gun , but will do so while keeping the rounds with in a safe pressure range and acceptable accuracy standards .

As handloaders we can taylor our ammo to sometimes improve that , and sometimes not , the point I'm trying to make is -- Don't get too hung up on COL , it will drive you NUTS .

necchi

The reason that you find different COL is because no 2 companies use the exact bullet profile and tip design .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 02:08:59 PM »
I was trying to figure out the oal for my 35 whelen barrel. I used a case shot out of the gun, barely seated the bullet colored it up with a sharpie, and stuck it in and closed it up. Opened it up pulled out the case and bullet. Measured, it came out to be 3.633. Five times in a row.  bullet is barley seated in the case. Did I do something wrong. I know the oal in the book is for S.A.A.M.I. but this seems really long to me.

Gun-  Encore
bullet- 225 nosler accubond
case- 30-06 remington resized

You can make a simple tool from a fired case and a screw to determine what length you can load to with a specific bullet that will work great in the Encore.  ;)

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,112672.msg1098350243.html#msg1098350243
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 04:05:49 PM »
I use Freds COL gauge for my 7-08, works great. But I can't find a bullet long enough to use in the 223  :)  ???
found elsewhere

Offline possum6

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 04:11:18 PM »
I use Freds COL gauge for my 7-08, works great. But I can't find a bullet long enough to use in the 223  :)  ???
  If your 223 is 1-9 twist, try the Berger. They are a little more expensive.
I believe everything that happen's, or will happen,was created, or created in the future, GOD knew and created from the very beginning of the foundation of the universe.       Dale

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 05:31:47 PM »
Something I have done a few times trying to confirm OAL on my Contenders:  Close action on an empty chamber.  Insert cleaning rod into muzzle until cleaning rod makes contact with action face.  Mark cleaning rod with sharpie.   Get wooden pencil and scotch tape a bulle,,,,,etc,,

Good luck.  Hope this helps a little.

Steve :)

BINK! ;D the light finally came on! Took a little while to grasp that,,I actually had to try it. I used a wood dowel in stead of a cleaning rod.
It makes total sence now, each bullet tested will have the ogive seated on the lands! Thank you Steve P! I think I'll get a dowel for each barrel and make the "chamber" marking perminant on the dowel for that barrel.
 Any one ever try an cut a dowel the length of breech to muzzle, then just measure from the cut end to the muzzle with the plunge part of a dial caliper? It would save having to mark it each time.
found elsewhere

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 06:40:03 PM »
What Stimpy said +1

I will add that COL maximum is just another place where the book is your guide and your chamber is your dictator. Your chamber dictates the max COL and, together with your bullet, gives you the range of COL values that your chamber will accept. Again, don't get too hung up on this. If you are "longer than the book", than normally, your pressures will be lower with the same powder charge, IF all else is equal. Conversely, if you are "shorter than the book", your pressures will probably be higher with the same powder charge. Comes under the heading of "available powder space". Good luck!

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater