Author Topic: Lyman Devastators  (Read 1337 times)

Offline docmagnum357

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Lyman Devastators
« on: December 18, 2009, 07:18:15 AM »
I finally got a Lyman Devastator mold, and I am initially very impressed.  I had a little trouble with straight wheel weight alloy, so I "sweetened" it with 4 oz of 90 /10 tin antimony solder. this is ins a ten lbs pot. It flowed somewhat better aftet that.

I used too much powder by at lest a grain, starting off at what I would never exceed.  Be careful with this bullet!  the mold box says 250 grain, mine weighs almost 270 with a check!!!

The first three shots were seated too deep, and they hurt my hand, so I switched back to the usual Houge grip I have on both my 44 mags.  The next six went into one hole, offhand at twenty five yards.  I can't wait to get these bullets, with about two grains less powder , on a piece of paper. Nothing was damaged, and the cases all fell out, but the primers were a little flatter than I like to see.  I really prefer starting, or midway between starting and max loads.  There isn't that much difference, and the gun lasts a lot longer, particularly n frame smiths.Long and the short of it?  For some one like me, who hunts deer and carries for self defense, I may have found IT, The one bullet, one load that will do it all. It is starting to look that way.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Lyman Devastators
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 01:19:41 AM »
its a good bullet that is surpisinly accurate in most 44s. I usually push it about 1200 fps and for deer cast it out of 5050 ww/pure with about 2 percent tin added and for larger game i cast it from ww with 2 percent tin added. Ive shot animals as large as a 1000 lbs with it
blue lives matter

Offline 30hrrtt

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 02:34:56 PM »
What alloy does Lyman say will get a 250 grain bullet?

Offline docmagnum357

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 08:52:48 AM »
I think they base all their weights on "number 2 alloy" now.  It can be made with 90% wheel weights, and 10 % 50/50 (lead tin) solder.   There is another formula, but it works out the same.  Being a tightwad, I always use the wheel weights.

I know one other thing, as i cast a bunch oif devastators  in the last few days.  It works better the more tin you have. I didn't have much luck with straight wheel weights, and it works better HOT.  A lot hotter than i usually run a mold.  i got the mix hot enough that i had to dab the sprure plate in on a damp ( Not wet!!!) rag to get the bottom to fill out completely.

Offline docmagnum357

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 08:58:57 AM »
P.S. I need to weigh one or two of the bullets now, and looking at some published data, if i go down two grains from my starting load, with the addition of enough tin to make #2 alloy, i should be about right for 1200 feet per second as Lloyd says. I tried the first ten bulleyts that filled out O.K., and they were basically straight weights, no tin.  I added 4 oz of 90/10 solder to 10 lbs of weights, and got a lot better fill out. Haven't weighed them yet, but they are lighter, and harder. Can't wait to use them on a coyote or a small piggy!   

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2009, 01:12:31 AM »
best alloy ive found with them is 5050 ww/pure with about 3 percent tin added. It expands easily even at lower velocitys and is gummy enough to hold together. The #2 will just about allways blow the nose off. That isnt a real bad thing as the rest of the bullet continues to penetrate and do damage.
blue lives matter

Offline matthewquigley

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2009, 02:33:27 PM »
i wanted to try them in a 44 rifle on whitetails          and in a 9mm  for small game and defense
ideas on this??????
M. Quigley
            900 yards
                          O O
                         O     
                           O
H&R 223,25-06,308, 44,357    700VTR 308,  Ruger 77/44, Savage ML10

Offline docmagnum357

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 03:27:08 PM »
After sometesting i would agree with Lloy(as usual). # 2 alloy is a tad hard.  i am going to try his suggestion about 50/50 ww and pure and added tin as soon as i luck into a little pure lead.  Like a lot of people, I call stick on weights "pure lead", but their really is no telling what's in them.  Shot at a running Coyote the other day, but i missed( FRONT SIGHT,FRONT SIGHT,FRONTSIGHT,FRONT SIGHT!!!) I have been doing a lot of combat shooting lately, and am off a little on my longetr range shooting.  They sure seem to mees up mud, water bottles, and wet news paper, though. Even with the hardwe alloy.