Author Topic: Help from Texans  (Read 1225 times)

Offline cbourbeau32

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • A Real Regular
Help from Texans
« on: December 19, 2009, 04:33:53 AM »
My family and I are going to San Antonio, TX over the Christmas weekend and was wondering from some of our Texas friends if San Antonio is "carry friendly". I will obviously carry on the trip to and from Oklahoma but not sure what places in the city are open to carry. Thanks, Charlie
NRA Life Member, US Navy Veteran.

Oklahoma has 77 counties, Romney-77, Obama-0

I'll keep my Guns, my Freedom's and my Money.
You can keep the "Change"

Offline rockbilly

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Help from Texans
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 07:50:30 AM »
I don’t think you will have any problems, just keep in mind it is YOUR responsibility to familiarize yourself with the Texas laws.  You can do this by going to the Texas DPS site and clicking on Concealed Carry laws.  It should provide an adequate definition of where you can and can not carry.  I have carried all over SA with no problem, but there are a lot of place that have the window placard prohibiting firearms on their premises.

Offline cbourbeau32

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 03:57:08 PM »
Thanks rockbilly. Can I carry at the Alamo? Davey Crocket did.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 08:45:43 PM »
My experience is that you can carry almost anywhere---the bad guys do---if you keep it well under wraps.
I know you can't carry in a hospital--but--I have. I am not going to walk a half a mile from a free parking too the hospital, at night, in Houston, in the Medical Center, unarmed, just because they are afraid I will open up on the staff of St. Lukes.
Don't ask, don't tell.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline cbourbeau32

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 04:40:49 AM »
Thanks William. I think that is the best policy sometimes. The bad guys sure don't follow the rules.

Offline jhm

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 05:35:02 AM »
the Alamo is considered a religous place AKA church, you are not allowed to take photoes INSIDE it or at least you we asked to put the camera away years ago, so I would bet the answer to carring insite the Alamo is NO.   Jim

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 04:59:02 PM »
Texas is very gun friendly!  You are allowed to protect your life, your property, and the property of your neighbor.  (that would get you 30 years in jail in Michigan)  They are also not worried about being politically correct.  I love wintering here in Texas.  I may just get where I'm spending much more time here than back in Michigan.  God bless Texas!  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2009, 02:52:57 AM »
I swear you look like a natural Texan--not a snowbird.
PS--If you get down give me a heads-up. Things got a little crazy here and I can't make it too Coopers, dang it all >:(.
Blessings
Bill
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline cbourbeau32

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2009, 05:34:58 PM »
Just got home from our San Antonio Christmas vacation. Texas is a very "carry friendly" state. The only place that I saw a "no guns here" sign was a Goodwill store we walked past. I left my gun back at the hotel when we caught the trolley down to the Alamo. Other than that I carried everywhere we went. I figured Texas would be as carry friendly or more than Oklahoma where I live. Turns out we are very similar. Maybe when Texas cedes Oklahoma can join them since we are alot alike  ;).

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2009, 03:49:58 AM »
Cbourbeau32, funny you should say that.  I was at church last sunday and was approached by a friend of mine and his 10 year old boy.  I was wearing a pin of a 1911 45 on my lapel and the boy (Davy) said he liked my pin, and asked if I was 'packing'?  I told him that concealed carry is supposed to be discrete and that I'm not supposed to answer that question.  His dad said 'it's ok, everybody in Texas (hill country) carries'.  Love this state!!!!  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2009, 08:04:05 AM »
Yup!
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2010, 09:31:23 AM »
I was in San Antonio a few months ago, as I have not had time to get a concealed permit yet, I left my J frame Smith in the trunk, well hidden under some tools in a hard case.  Texas allows people to carry a gun concealed in their car without a permit, but unless you have the license you cannot just walk around with a pistol in your pocket to general locations.  It was nice to have something in case my car broke down.  The Alamo had posted rules outside, I don't remember seeing anything about guns, but they don't allow people to wear their hats inside, quite bizarre considering the number of Texans who wear cowboy hats! :o  The local bus service in Austin prohibits weapons inside them.

I hope to get started on my permit soon, will see what hours my boss wants me to work this January.  It would be nice to have my Smith J frame on me when walking to the store.  I remember back in the 1970's and 1980's when getting a concealed permit was super tough in the states of Oregon and Minnesota, things sure have changed!

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2010, 12:46:40 AM »
Do you think the local BG worries about restricted sites or bars or resturants, or a hospital, or a church?
It is not about being macho or rebellious--it is about being prepared.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Tackleberry

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
  • That's not a gun---This is a gun....
    • mil
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2010, 05:37:37 AM »
Chris D...it's not bizarre to request peiople remove their hats in the ALAMO Chapel...The Alamo was a 3 acre mission compound that largely does not exist now. The Chapel portion of the mission, still standing is what most people recognize as the "Alamo". So it is a church. And God fearing Texans do not wear Cowboy hats or ball caps or any other type of hat in a Christian church out of respect.
David Berry
LCDR USN (ret)
NRA Life member
Texan by birth and the grace of GOD
OLE MISS graduate

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2010, 05:47:19 AM »
 :D ;D
They sure wear them in P/U's andtrucks cars. Two guys in front and the rear view mirror is useless. ::)
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2010, 05:58:04 AM »
Havin a bad day there BBF?
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2010, 08:37:12 AM »
Havin a bad day there BBF?

Well, I'm a bit unsteady at the moment. Perhaps the selling of 5 firearms in one shot was a bit rough on me. I'm not off my feed........ however I caught myself earlier today looking at some "not needed" but "wanting to have" stuff again. It is a vicious cycle my friend :D :D

Any headgear in a vehicle with a roof is amusing to me, 'less of course you happen to be in a race car.

Reflecting on that, I suppose in a standard cab P/U there really isn't any room for those hats other then the head itself.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2010, 08:46:31 AM »
I was in Texas a few days ago and carried every where , no one seemed to mind . I was at the Alamo a couple years ago and its seemed like a national monument . No pictures , no hats , no loud talking etc. don't remember any signs saying you could not tote .
 But like they say if you don't start no stuff there won't be no stuff  ;)
If ya can see it ya can hit it !