Author Topic: Kahr semi auto pistol in 9mm  (Read 931 times)

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Kahr semi auto pistol in 9mm
« on: December 20, 2009, 01:07:24 PM »
Thinking of getting the wife a carry pistol.  The Kahr brand has been recommended and as a single stack it seems to offer a good size.  They come in all grades.  I think the CW is the lower priced model.  What do I need to know before making a decision?  Wife will not carry this pistol on her body, but in her purse when leaving her car at motels.  She travels a lot in her work.  When she is in the car it will go into the console.  A local dealer in my neighborhood has the upper end model.  Her can not tell me why it is more expensive except that it has different lands in the barrel. 

Any opinions?

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: Kahr semi auto pistol in 9mm
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 03:07:15 PM »
Has your wife ever shot or even handled a Kahr?   Does she have the hand strength necessary to even rack the slide of the Kahr or any compact auto pistol for that matter. 

A word of advice.  Get your wife involved in the selection process or you c9ould end up with a gun that recides in the underware drawer and a yet unprotected wife.   Bring her to a range and beg, borrow or rent as meny different guns as you can get her hands on and find out what she likes.   
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline NickSS

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 11:15:32 PM »
Bret has a really good point.  In my experience semi autos take more training and practice to get them working with confidence.  In addition, many women can not easily rack the slide on a semi auto pistol and some can;t do it at all.  I had this same issue with my wife.  She could rack the slide but after a week or two she could not remember how to load the pistol and what to do in case of a malfunction.  As a result of all of this I ended up getting a S&W model 60 for her to carry and it has resided in her purse ever since.  When I take her to the range she always remembers how to load and fire it.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 12:50:42 AM »
Aside from you having to buy another gun when your wife doesn't like the Kahr---which really isn't a bad thing  ;).
There are many reasons for the upgrade cost.
Fit and finish, better parts---barrels, no mim parts, better fit of parts--perhaps the frame of the less is a cast frame from somewhere else, better sights--but the other part is that its workmanship makes it more reliable.
Who knows? why the upgrade cost on an Expedition too a Eddie Bauer? More goodies.
The Norinco has proven too me that a plain Jane can work--but I choose to do some things to it that I like.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Scibaer

• Central Michigan, USA, Earth
  • Trade Count: (25)
  • FATE FAVORS THE WISE
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 01:11:14 AM »
If you fella's are interested, i am trying to get a Kahr forum going.
 if you think that is something you'd be interested in , 12 Yea votes gets the forum approved.
there are some guys here who know a fair good deal about the Kahr line of handguns and they can share what they know.
it would be nice to have a spot for kahr owners to stop in, or guys interested in getting a kahr to ask questions before they buy
glenn
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/board,4.0.html

Offline Autorim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 04:27:22 PM »
I agree with Brett on this. IMHO the slide on most compact autos with any real power can be hard to retract. I think the revolver is the way to go. My wife really likes the Ruger SP101. It is extremely durable, easy to shoot, heavy enough to dampen recoil and the trigger is good enough for it's intended purpose.

Ken

Offline Tonk

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 07:33:32 PM »
Sorry but I just can't see giving money to an organization that is is not American minded period!

Offline Kal52

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 10:58:41 AM »
I did the very thing that these fellas are warning about.  My wife wanted to get her concealed carry permit, went and picked out the gun, PM9, figured the slide was just stiff and needed a good breaking in.  NOPE, after about 400-500 rounds that thing was still tough to bring back, the wife really had a tough time so off it went. 

My other Kahr was a TP9, the extracter fell out, So I sent it back, then sold it to my brother who wanted it, same thing happend to him, so he sold it. Great customer service though no questions asked and back in a very good time. Second time no shipping was paid to send it back. Other than that, accurate little gun, might have just had a lemon.

Good luck

Dave

Offline greenjeans

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 08:50:00 AM »
I have two of the Kahr CW Series and both have been perfect. The CWs have standard rifling, less machining on the slide, pinned front sight, and MIM slide release. I would recommend them to anyone. There is a really good comparison on the Kahr website.
Romans 8:38,39

Offline gunblade

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2009, 09:21:40 AM »
Sorry but I just can't see giving money to an organization that is is not American minded period!

I think I heard something about Kahr being owned by a moonie outfit...not sure of the details.  Is that what you're referring to?  What makes them "not American minded?" 

I have been very satisfied with my Kahr K40. 

Offline Noreaster

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2009, 09:58:16 AM »
I second the point of working the action on semi autos. If you planned on keeping it lock and loaded that's one thing, but having the strength to work the slide is a valid point. How many people have tried to get their significant other to shoot a 380 and they couldn't work the slide, (I know a few!) The fixed barrel 380s are horrible to work. Don't own a Kahr so I can't speak about working that slide. Revolvers are very simple.

Offline Noreaster

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2009, 10:01:31 AM »
Hey if you have the $ buy what ever you like and have her try it, if it doesn't work at least you get to keep it!

Offline obiwankabaldi

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2009, 06:04:40 AM »
I have the PM9 and love the little devil. Needed to learn to aggressively sling shot it to load the first round, other than from battery. Other than that it is a sweet firearm. Your wife might have trouble with the slide as others have said. A revolver may be the answer. Here in NY it is really difficult to try out different firearms since the laws are so darn strict. Hopefully you live somewhere where you can rent some guns to try and then decide.

Offline Tonk

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2010, 01:01:00 PM »
You put a Glock in your wifes hand, model 26 and she will love that pistol. The Glocks also develop less recoil than other brands. Good Luck! l

Offline gunblade

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2010, 02:00:25 PM »
The Glocks also develop less recoil than other brands

Really?  Why?