Author Topic: night vision scope  (Read 548 times)

Offline fr3db3ar

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
night vision scope
« on: December 21, 2009, 02:59:00 PM »
Does anybody here hunt at night and use a night vision scope?  I'm looking for personal experience.  I need to keep it to Gen 1 as I think that's all that I can afford.  I'd like at least 4x.  I've searched the web so I'm looking for personal experience. 

thanks.
Aim Small, Miss Small

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

When they come for your guns, give them the ammo first.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: night vision scope
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 05:31:45 PM »
I recall back during one of the Big Hog Outings at the Reed Ranch out in Texas that Kevin of TexasBoars.com had one on his rifle. I looked thru it one evening and that was pretty pitiful and nearly useless. If you can't afford at least Gen II I'd suggest you save your money until you can. Or spend it on a quality scope and some kinda light to help light things up for it. Gen I is pretty useless.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 06:28:32 PM »
night vision scope on your rifle means you cant see anything unless your waving your gun around looking thru the scope. a helmet mounted monoscope is really a lot more practical combined with a Good red dot that is night vision compatible and bingo you've got a ton of money tied up. you can build a infrared laser and get it sighted in for your gun to hit point of aim then with a mono set up your rifle becomes a point and shoot just put the laser on the target and shoot it is the cheapest way i can figure out.  today i got a sharper image 5x magnification monocular to use for a night coyote setup now to put a laser on the rifle so i don't need a scope.
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline patw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2009, 11:51:45 AM »
I tried the ATN first gen night scopes and had to send both the first one and its replacement back because they would not hold zero.  Too bad because the night vision part was pretty good for what I wanted.  Ended up getting a second generation tube, the  ATN PS22.  It fits either on a picatinny rail in front of the scope or clamps on the scope itself.  That way, you use the scope already on the rifle and no need to sight in or depend on the night scope to hold zero.  I know you asked about first gen, but in my experience, you are better off heeding Graybeard's advice and saving for a gen 2.  I can see 200 yards with it, and the infrared is nice as it really lights up the eyes.  Works great, and I had plans on using it this last hunt.  However, I found that after hunting during the day, I am getting at the age where a warm bed is more enticing than  staying up half the night.

Offline fr3db3ar

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2009, 02:33:43 PM »
  However,  I am getting at the age where a warm bed is more enticing than  staying up half the night.

I'm about to turn 51....I understand that sentiment 120%  lol
Aim Small, Miss Small

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Offline diggler1833

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2009, 04:36:08 PM »
I've had the opportunity to use quite a bit of night vision optics.  Anything that is around the Gen I-II era will limit your shots to very close range.  Besides, those starlight scopes are about as convenient to carry around as a spare dumbell on top of your rifle, and as stated before they can be an issue with maintaining zero.

In current times our issued stuff has gotten a lot better.  The average ground unit guy (non super sexy special guy) can actually utilize their PVS-14 (already better units out there too) to hook up to their rifles and see through thier RCO/ACOG to give a rough, night vision picture.

If money is an option, might try spotlighting as best as you can.  I know it is no where near as stealthy and in some places not legal...but generally in those places night hunting isn't really legal either.

torpedoman pretty much sumed it up how we used our night vision to be able to shoot at night.  We had our PEQ-15s set up to shoot an infared laser so nobody else without night vision could see it.  If you had night vision it was a pretty solid pointer as to where your rifle was pointed.  It is also a pretty solid indicator as to where you are lasing from too if somebody else has night vision capabilities.  It makes using a night vision monocular a pretty good experience overall.

Offline fr3db3ar

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2009, 03:21:14 AM »
After all the advice.....and some from other places.  (My nephew is Cavalry)  I've decided that if I have night vision at all...it would just be a monocular for spotting things in the dark......then a good light for shooting.
Aim Small, Miss Small

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Offline diggler1833

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2009, 03:29:30 AM »
Not a bad decision to go with...good luck and happy hunting!

Cavalry...Sorry, had to say that, I've got OCD like nobody's business.