Author Topic: First H&R Purchase Need Some Advice  (Read 549 times)

Offline Daman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
  • Me and Papa's first double!!!
First H&R Purchase Need Some Advice
« on: December 22, 2009, 03:33:51 AM »
I just purchased a Handi NIB 7mm/08 from my favorite pawn dealer. I also ordered a Choate varmint stock and checked fore end both synthetic. I have not mounted a scope or the new stock yet so I have not shot it. I am planning to take to my gunsmith and having the barrel floated. What grain bullet would you recommend? I hunt deer around 150 lbs.

Thanks
Live simple. Hunt Hard. Love Life.

I thank God everyday for my loving wife and all the fond memories of hunting with my Papa from a child until now.

Please take time to take a kid hunting, it will be a life long memory and blessing for both of you!

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
Re: First H&R Purchase Need Some Advice
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 03:39:47 AM »
Mine likes 140 gr. Rem Core Lokts.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline Daman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 03:42:57 AM »
Thanks. Luckily those are on the cheaper side. I don't mind more expensive bullets, but I haven't receive my LEE die set yet for this caliber so it is off the shelf only.

I thank God everyday for my loving wife and all the fond memories of hunting with my Papa from a child until now.

Please take time to take a kid hunting, it will be a life long memory and blessing for both of you!

Offline Datil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 12:04:13 PM »

You will brass anyway :) :) Best of luck, We need a range report.  Datil

Offline FLNT4EVR

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 12:12:54 PM »
140 Rem corelocts are as good a killer on deer as you can get.You shouldn't ever need to pay for premium bullets for deer hunting as long as they are around.
" Act civilized...even if you ain't " 

" I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people , and I require the same from them. "
                                  John Wayne, "The Shootist"

Offline Daman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 12:15:20 PM »
Datil

I will be awhile on the range report. I have about two weeks at the very least to get my hands on the gun and it on the range. I still have to take it to the gunsmith and mount a scope.

FLNT4EVR

thanks. I will probably shoot those bullets as long as I can get around a 1" group at 100 yards.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 01:22:37 PM »
My two favorite bullets where the 154 RN Hornady and the 140 nosler BT. Both with a healthy charge of H335 powder.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 07:28:22 PM »
mine seems to like the 140's too, just got a box of Barnes 120 TTXS. Got next week off, tween the holidays, if the waether is fairly decent I'll be at the range a bunch :)
found elsewhere

Offline Daman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 12:15:27 AM »
Thanks guys. I am going to pick up some core-lokts first. As soon as I can get some bullets here from Midway I will load a few different couplings to try. I will probably stay in the 120 gr to 150 gr hopefully.

After all I did get this little rifle to back off recoil for fun high power shooting (That 30-06 gets to be a bruiser after a hundred or so rounds in a day).