Author Topic: Wyoming trip a bust  (Read 697 times)

Offline pa ridge-runner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Wyoming trip a bust
« on: October 26, 2003, 04:24:54 AM »
:( Wish I could give y'all better news,but,mother nature was not friendly to this hunter.
Arrived in Wyoming on the 16th of October,the first day of the 80 plus degree weather.Even though good plans were made we could not do anything about the weather.The deer seemed to be totally nocturnal and although there were 3 very experienced hunters trying to find them they only came out at nite.Of the 60 plus deer seen only 2, yes, two were bucks.(fork horns).Although I could have easily taken a Y buck I decided not to shoot.
This was the first time I attempted a DIY hunt and although I didnt get anything I DO believe a person can be successfull.
Those fellas that live in that part of the west will echo my observations.
I'm sure anyone hunting on private ranches did better.
We hunted region C near Gillette for 3 days,then moved to the Big Horns near Buffalo.No shots were taken by anyone.
I dont feel the hunt was a total loss,because I always enjoy hunting the west.I love the many numbers of different animals seen during the trip that cant be seen here in the pennsylvania woods.
Anyone else hunt during that time??how did it go?
I will have a little while to figure out my next plan for the elusive mule deer and still have an empty spot on the wall if I ever get lucky
My wife said I should get a farmers almanac before I plan a hunt next time. :eek:
Still alot of hunting here coming up so maybe things will change.Hope you all have GOOD LUCK :D   PARR

Offline Dave in WV

Wyoming trip a bust
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2003, 04:54:36 AM »
Pa-RR, it's a shame you couldn't connect but I'm glad you enjoyed it anyway. Great personal ethics not shooting just to get something. A fellow at work got an elk in Colorado with a bow in Sept. in the dark timber. He was hunting near Steamboat Springs. It was hot at first and then snowed.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline THE#1hunter

• A Real Regular
Wyoming trip a bust
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2003, 12:59:22 PM »
Im sorry to hear that you were unsuccessfull, my friend went downt to New Mexico or texas, and got a nice management 8pt.
Good Luck, Be Safe, and God Bless  :D

Ephesians 2:8
--For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of god--

Offline tominboise

• Contributor
Wyoming trip a bust
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2003, 03:12:29 PM »
Next door in Idaho it's been very hot as well.....I've been out three weekends in a row, and haven't seen squat.  Since all the western states are moving the hunt up to get away from the rut, mule deer are hard to find.  The exception, as you mentioned, is on private land, and if there is alfafa around, then hunting can be great.  Montana still has a late hunt for mule deer.

Don't give up on the west, this warming trend has to break some year!
Regards,

Tom

Offline Big Tom

• Contributor
Wyoming trip a bust
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2003, 06:16:22 PM »
We hunted the same time period in Colorado about 20 miles SW of Steamboat Springs. Same heat....same results  :cry:
I loved the experience...saw lots of Elk cows, calves and immature bulls. It was the same with the mule Deer. Maybe next time :roll:
Tom Gursky
Northwoods Guide Service
"May all your trophies be worthy of The Book"

Offline Siskiyou

Wyoming trip a bust
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2003, 04:25:02 AM »
From a weather stand point deer season is a bust in California.  It has been hot and dry all season.  Most of the zones are now closed.  Today the Southern Zones are burning.

My hunting partner got a 4x6 on the opening.(11 pt. Eastern)  My brother took a fork and a three point on two different weekends.  I went salmon and trout fishing.  This is the first season that I have set out in 45 years.  I did not draw the zone I wanted.  The alternate zone has had a major problem with illegal Mexican marijuana growers.  The growers have been protecting the crop with AK-47's and other weapons.  Law Enforcement has killed 4 of these growers in gun battles the last few weeks.  A number of hunters have been threaten, a few have been shot at.  A couple of years ago a illegal  Mexican shot and wounded a father and his ten year-old son hunting on family forested property.  The boy will never be the same.  He took a shotgun blast in the head.  In the mean time Gov. Davis signed a bill giving the illegals the right to have a California drivers license.  What does the Gov. not understand in the word illegal.

These poachers kill a lot of deer for camp food and to keep them from eating their crop.  Normally the growers have harvested their crop by this date but the hot weather has kept them in the woods.

Siskyou
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline Silverado

• http://www.excelonmars.com/Canada
Weather in the Canadian West
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2003, 06:00:20 AM »
I was out looking for Mulies and Elk on Saturday, it was sunny and around 15 degrees Celsius; way too warm. This morning... ten below and 10 cm of snow  :-D  :-D ! This weather should hold out for a week, which should mean good hunting!  :lol:

Offline az4life

• http://www.cdknives.com
Wyoming trip a bust
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2003, 06:25:17 PM »
Well the heat has made it tough all over.
I was antelope hunting the first week of Oct in Wyoming, north of Cheyenne. We saw several REAL nice Bucks, but they were only out early AM. Repeatedly.  My Brother in law had not seen them for a couple weeks after watching them most of the last few months. He thought they were poached until we spotted them feeding along a draw while looking for antelope.

Another fellow in town missed one near dark close to a resevoir near town a couple days later. Said it was a HUGE one.
Heat makes them sit tight during the day, and that is not normal. We Always have next year eh?
AZ4life :D
It is always beter to be the hunter than the hunted!