Author Topic: QUESTION FOR QUICK  (Read 1146 times)

Offline FLNT4EVR

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
QUESTION FOR QUICK
« on: December 22, 2009, 12:43:35 PM »
 How come  H&R won't make smoothbore slug barrels any more. They have worked for 75yrs or more and still do the job. Is it strictly an economics thing.I'm sure they could sell as many as they could make.I just never understood the big change to hard kicking, extreemely expensive, and no more effective rifledbarrel slug guns. Dead is dead.
" Act civilized...even if you ain't " 

" I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people , and I require the same from them. "
                                  John Wayne, "The Shootist"

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: QUESTION FOR QUICK
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 02:08:42 PM »
I'd guess they aren't very popular anymore. Call or write to em and ask em to make the Tracker I again, if they get enough interest, they might make em again.  ;) They do make the Ultra Light Slug Hunter now which is light and rifled.

Tim

http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Shotguns/ultraSlug.asp
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 02:18:34 PM »
Flnt;
   I know what you mean, I had ideas of going back to slugs, so I got a Tracker 1 smoothbore (20ga) even though my area is now rifle/OK for big game..It still kicks a bit more than this 73 yr old with a lame shoulder cares for. Do you have a small caliber rifle barrel to swap ?
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 02:51:47 PM »
Ironglow, if you don't swap that 20 gauge Tracker I barrel I would be interested in buying it from you...Thanks and Merry CHRISTmas....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline sachel.45

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 05:58:53 PM »
you know i bet if they bring back the tracker 1 with screw in chokes i bet they couldnt keep them on the shelves
common sense is slowly becoming uncommon

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 09:33:10 PM »
you know i bet if they bring back the tracker 1 with screw in chokes i bet they couldnt keep them on the shelves

I agree. At the same time most dealers cant keep H&R's on the shelf anyway ;D

Lonny

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 12:15:28 AM »
MAKE YOUR OWN!!!  ::) :D ;D

All you need is a steady hand, a hack saw and a good file. I'm lucky enough to be able to drill and tap so I can add sites, but others may need to visit the gunsmith. But I have chopped more than a dozen for myself and friends and they shoot very well!! Generally shooting Rem sluggers into a coffee saucer @ 50-75 yards with just a front bead. (If you can still see one.) Others have gotten a peep site and shoot even a little better!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline FLNT4EVR

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 12:29:32 AM »
No fellas. I'll never get rid of my Tracker 1.I just thought that with the sabot slugs being so expensive, ther has to be a ready market for the smooth bore slug barrels.You would think they would have kept them in at least 1 ga.

" I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people , and I require the same from them. "

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 01:42:33 AM »
FLNT4EVR, perhaps it's is because I am getting a bit older, but for me a 1 gauge would kick way to much. Heck I am even leaning more towards a 20 than my beloved 12 gauge Tracker I nowadays....<><.... ;D

P.S. - I don't even know where I could get 1 gauge slugs anyway............ ;)

Merry CHRISTmas to ALL!!!!!..............<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2009, 02:45:31 AM »
A 1 gauge. :o :o
That'll leave a mark. :D

Spanky

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2009, 03:43:26 AM »
A 1 gauge. :o :o
That'll leave a mark. :D

Spanky

I never go larger than a 2 gauge, those 1 gauges kick way too much! :)
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2009, 11:18:51 AM »
  How about a tire guage ?  ;) :D ;D
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline FLNT4EVR

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2009, 12:19:48 PM »
HMMMMMMM   I walked right into that one,didn't I ?  oh well     MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2009, 03:14:59 PM »
And a very Merry CHRISTmas to you too buddy. We would not have jumped so hard and so fast if we did not like you so much (oh shucks!!)....<><....:>)

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2009, 01:30:52 PM »
  Have a very merry Christmas...and may the Lord bring you a most blessed new year.

A Christmas card for you:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZ-8jYpa1-o&feature=related

Offline FLNT4EVR

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2009, 02:49:32 AM »
well Thank you Ironglow. That is very much appreciated at this special time of year.May God bless you and keep you safe.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2009, 09:10:01 AM »
  Blessings on His birthday...<><

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2010, 02:29:08 PM »
  I made a swap with Spanky..He is completely honest and deals right in his trades ..so I am putting a positive note up for him.

Ironglow

Offline Slackdaddy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2010, 02:35:33 PM »
Did they ever make a heavy barrel smoth bore slug gun ?
Nicholas Andraka
REO Services
Serving Maryland since 1993
http://reoservicesofmaryland.com    reo_services@verizon.net

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2010, 12:03:40 AM »
Quote from: Slackdaddy link=topic=192955.msg 1098987985#msg 1098987985 date=1262741733
Did they ever make a heavy barrel smooth bore slug gun ?

YUP.. The Ultra Slug Hunter in 12 OR 20 gauge.  The 12ga started out as a 10Ga, bored 12 and the 20 started out a 12Ga, bored 20ga.  STIFF THICK for gage barrels that usually shoot VERY well!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2010, 08:13:32 AM »
  I think one of the things that is very "off-putting" for many slug hunters is the cost of the necessary slugs for the rifled barrels. Seems like $2-$3 is rather expensive. not so much for the hunting (1 or 2 slugs per deer) , but for the sighting in and reasurance shots. Brenneke claims their conventional slugs have a type coating that allows them to be successfully used in rifled barrels.
  Meanwhile, if your big game hunting range is likely to be 75-100 yards or less, an H&R smoothbore slug gun should serve well with the much less expensive Rem sluggers or Fed Tru-ball slugs.
    Just for slug hunters; check out this link I posted..which was sent to me by my Marine grandson.

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,194676.msg1098987777.html#msg1098987777