Author Topic: slug gun/ Zeiss scope marriage ???  (Read 2086 times)

Offline coop

• Trade Count: (0)
slug gun/ Zeiss scope marriage ???
« on: December 23, 2009, 03:56:21 AM »
Thinking of splurging on a 3X9X40 Zeiss Conquest for my new 220 Savage if Uncle Sam treats me right at tax time, anybody have any experience with Zeiss products on slug guns? Question whether they warrant the $$$ over say Leupolds, Burris, etc???

Offline jjas

• Contributor
Re: slug gun/ Zeiss scope marriage ???
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 06:19:00 AM »
I've owned a Zeiss Coquest since they first came out a few years back.  It's seen duty on several slug guns and has held up wonderfully.  The optics are clear, crisp.  The adjustments are rock solid, and the finish still looks like new.

Mine was a gift from a generous friend and it's the one scope I'll never sell.  Not only because it was a gift, but because of the quality of the unit.

Jim

Offline dougk

• Driftwood TEXAS
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 07:47:23 AM »
I have Zeiss 1.8-5.5x38 on a 12ga/9.3x74r combo gun, 12ga/.222  and 9.3x74r double rifle.  The optics are clearer than Leupold but if your doing alot of adjustments the Leupold might be a better option.

Just my 2 cents.

Offline jjas

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 08:27:01 AM »
dougk
The optics are clearer than Leupold but if your doing alot of adjustments the Leupold might be a better option.

How so?

Offline dougk

• Driftwood TEXAS
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 09:31:24 AM »
dougk
The optics are clearer than Leupold but if your doing alot of adjustments the Leupold might be a better option.

How so?

I took a Zeiss 2.5-8x32 and compared it side by side to a Leupold Vari-X III 2.5-8x36 during the day the Zeiss was noticeably clearer and brighter also at dusk the Zeiss was better when compared side by side by my eye. 

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 11:50:56 AM »
  I've always been a Leupold man, but this last two times i bought Zeiss Conquest scopes, one being a 3x9x40.  I switched because i could see better in low light better with the Conquest 3x9x40 than any of the Leupolds i looked through.  It's a GREAT scope, and i'd buy another!

DM

Offline jjas

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 12:28:54 PM »
dougk

How so?

I took a Zeiss 2.5-8x32 and compared it side by side to a Leupold Vari-X III 2.5-8x36 during the day the Zeiss was noticeably clearer and brighter also at dusk the Zeiss was better when compared side by side by my eye. 

Sorry Doug, I meant the adjustment portion of the statement.  How do you feel the Leupold might be a better choice if you do a lot of adjustments?

Thanks,

Jim

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 12:39:07 PM »
Danged if I'd spend that kinda money on a scope for a basically short range gun to begin with. Any one of a dozen lower priced scopes will do all the Zeiss will do on that slug gun and for a whole lot less money. I like quality scopes but don't feel the European brands offer value for the dollars spent compared to many other brands.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline coop

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 12:46:45 PM »
The "low light" gathering qualities appeal more to me than anything else with the Zeiss. My last couple of Var-XII Leupolds haven't overly impressed me at first light and twilight. Maybe just my aging eyes...

Offline pozoutdoors

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2009, 01:01:12 PM »
If it is within our LEGAL shooting hours. I don't have a problem with my Bushnell!!!! I will save my money for more tags!!!! ;)

Offline dougk

• Driftwood TEXAS
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2009, 02:08:17 PM »
Danged if I'd spend that kinda money on a scope for a basically short range gun to begin with. Any one of a dozen lower priced scopes will do all the Zeiss will do on that slug gun and for a whole lot less money. I like quality scopes but don't feel the European brands offer value for the dollars spent compared to many other brands.

Jim
I purchased that scope from Graybeard.  I guess based on his comments I over paid  :o :o ;D

The adjustments on the Leupold to me felt like they were made to be adjusted in the field.  The Zeiss felt like they were manufactured to be setup once and left alone.  Just my opinion.

Offline dougk

• Driftwood TEXAS
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2009, 02:23:01 PM »

I often go feral hawg hunting by myself.  I have tried lower priced scopes, other than Mueller they are not something I would trust my life to.  Now Leuold vs Zeiss is another discussion.  I have been fortunate to have been able to deal with Camera Land (a GBO sponsor) who has some of the best customer services and best pricing for scopes. With a 18 month old son and a 3.5 year old daughter I will only put my personal safety behind Leupold and Zeiss.  The Camera Land value on Zeiss typically beats other dealers selling Leupold.  Hence the leaning to Zeiss because of Camera Land.   Interestingly I underastand Zeiss holds many of the patents on the optics.

I would shoot any one of the above mentioned guns to 180 yards without any mental reservation or adjustments. 

Offline Noreaster

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2009, 04:13:44 PM »
Those scopes are scary expensive. May be cheaper to lazer the hog and call in a tomohawk air strike.

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2009, 04:25:47 PM »
  Scarey expensive?  Mine cost me less than a top of the line Leupold. 

DM

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2009, 06:34:43 PM »
I purchased that scope from Graybeard.  I guess based on his comments I over paid     :o :o ;D

Huh? You didn't buy no Zeiss frum me. I've never had a European scope in my life. Most of what's here are Leupold and Bushnell. In fact other can a couple of BSAs one on an air rifle and one unused bought for a .17 HMR I have nothing else left here.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline coop

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2009, 08:58:44 PM »
If Zeiss Conquest prices scare ya, check out some of the other European scopes such as Swavorski. Not a lot of $$$ difference between the Conquest and the Leupolds any more, maybe a C note or so.  I have 4 Leupolds, 3 on shotguns and 1 on a ML... just thinking out loud which way to go on the Savage 220. Thanks for comments and opinions... got my scope base from Midway yesterday, now I just need the gun... ;D

Offline dougk

• Driftwood TEXAS
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2009, 08:12:46 AM »
If Zeiss Conquest prices scare ya, check out some of the other European scopes such as Swavorski. Not a lot of $$$ difference between the Conquest and the Leupolds any more, maybe a C note or so.  I have 4 Leupolds, 3 on shotguns and 1 on a ML... just thinking out loud which way to go on the Savage 220. Thanks for comments and opinions... got my scope base from Midway yesterday, now I just need the gun... ;D

Graybeard
the scope I purchased from you was the Leupold Vari-X III.

;D

Offline Noreaster

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2009, 10:28:48 AM »
I've been using Bushnell Trophy and Leopold Rifleman, both in the  $100 and change price range. But then again I don't take long shots in this area. Actually took my longest shot on a deer this season, 140 yards, (and I've been hunting since 12yrs old, 28 years ago.) The stuff I use may not work for your area. Good luck.

Offline ptpalpha

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2010, 04:03:03 PM »
I just picked up a Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9x40 that so far seems to have better light-gathering ability and at least equal the optical quality of my Leupold VX3, and it was around 1/2 the price of the Leupold.
I have heard nothing but praise for the Zeiss Conquest scopes, although as stated above the price is steep.

Offline vabowhntr

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2010, 11:13:05 AM »
I have been setting up my dream rifle in 300 win mag for anything from deer to moose (no interest in bears).  After looking at all of the top scopes for my budget (under $750 dollars), I went with the Zeiss.  It was the best quality I could find in that price range.  I also like the longer, less critical eye relief I have on mine.

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2010, 12:47:07 PM »
I have been setting up my dream rifle in 300 win mag for anything from deer to moose (no interest in bears).  After looking at all of the top scopes for my budget (under $750 dollars), I went with the Zeiss.  It was the best quality I could find in that price range.  I also like the longer, less critical eye relief I have on mine.

A properly loaded 300 Win. Mag. will easily take "any" bear alive, so looks like you have it all covered!

DM