Author Topic: Neck Sizing dies options  (Read 422 times)

Offline preventec47

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Neck Sizing dies options
« on: December 23, 2009, 01:09:38 PM »
Re: FL Sizing , Neck Sizing and Partial FL Sizing
LaOtto222  said:

I buy special dies for neck sizing. I prefer the Lee neck collet dies, when I can get them, but I also have bought neck sizing dies with changeable sizing collars, when I can't get a Lee. 
================================
Would two neck sizing dies cost more than a changable sizing collar
die with two collars ? 

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (10)
Re: Neck Sizing dies options
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 04:33:01 PM »
Butler Ford
He who does not punish evil, commands it to be done.-Leonardo da Vinci
An armed society is a polite society-Robert A. Heinlein
Only the dead have seen the end of war- Plato
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey
tomorrow I may have to eat them- A lady's sweatshirt

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 11:30:02 PM »
ButlerFord45 has it right. The Lee Collet neck sizing die is much cheaper than the Redding dies. Unfortunately Lee does not make their dies for all cartridges, so I buy Redding dies when I can't get the Lee. I could not get a Lee die for the 221 Fireball. I tried to custom order one for $54. They sent back my money and dummy cases and said that the 221 Fireball was too short. They do make an off the shelf 22 Hornet die and the 22 Hornet case is the exact same length as the 221 Fireball. Got figure. Anyway I bought a Redding type S die and several sizing collars (bushings). Redding makes 3 types of neck sizing dies for most common calibers. One is like a regular sizing die with the body opened up so it only sizes the neck. Another type uses bushings where the neck sizing part is so you can put in the exact size you want to squeeze down the neck, thus not working the neck any more than needed. The third type holds the body of the case with out sizing it and slides up and down inside the case body and has the bushing to exactly size the neck, like the one described before. The siding "sleeve" aids in keeping the neck concentric with the case body. Most die manufacturers have variations on the first two types. Some even have a generic sizing die that does not take a bushing for all cases in a caliber class. Such as .224 cases. So they will work for all cases that shoot .224 bullets. You could use it for 22-250 and .223. The problem with these types is you do not capture the case body to help keep the neck concentric with the case body and the neck is squeezed down more than needed in most cases and then pushed back out by the sizing button - working the brass more. The Lee dies will not squeeze down the neck any more than needed and helps keep the neck in alignment as long as the flash hole is centered in the case and takes no lube what so ever. IMHO for the money, the Lee does the best job for the money spent. The Redding competition neck sizing die does a great job of sizing necks but you are going to pay North of $100 for one + the bushings you will need at $10 - $12 a pop. I hope I did not bore you with details, I get excited about doing precision reloading and can talk about it for hours with some one. Good Luck and good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 01:09:23 AM »
  Many of you know my stand on LEE equipment as a whole. Just so you don't think, I'm a hyprocrite. The LEE collet neck sizing die is one that I DO LIKE!!  I don't have allot of them, but I have one for each of the best shooting bolt guns. (I wish they made a 6.5x06!!) The ammo I produce from them is some of my most accurate I have ever produced.

Yes, the REDDING dies are better, offer MUCH more selection of neck tension and dead length seating. But are intended more for the precision target shooter. For the avg guy looking for a true neck sizing die to improve the loads accuracy, the LEE will work and has worked for me. Now my main complaint with LEE is longevity. All there stuff seems to work fine for a time, but long life and excessive use will usually turn them belly up. I haven't loaded thousands of rounds thru mine as I have loads worked up and a couple hundred shells loaded for each gun and don't "play" with them any longer. So if they will fail like many of there brethren will remain to be seen.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline preventec47

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 01:58:04 AM »
Thanks Butler, I can see that for about 35 dollars you get
a lot if they have the caliber that you need.

I would like to know that for calibers that are not available
in the Lee Loader and regular dies have to be acquired,
are the LeeCollet dies in some way easier to use or more
versatile or adjustable etc.   I am a hunter and place
ease, reliability or flexibility over accuracy due to the
fact I cant ever get a decent steady hold anyway when
I take my shots.   I am most concerned about some cases
being a little tight or loose when seating the bullet
and would like to know whether regular neck sizing dies,
regular full length sizing dies used with shortened stroke
to just neck size or the collet dies offer the greatest
fine tuning of the neck size so that the bullet is gripped
just right when seated.
8mm Mauser is my target caliber along with 7mm Rem Mag.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2009, 02:09:07 AM »
The LEE LOADER and the LEE COLLET neck sizing dies are two completely different animals!!  Although the lee loader does only neck size, its a proprietary system all its own. The Lee collet die is a true die and fits conventional loading presses for a 7/8x14 die set.

The LEE LOADER is NOT one I was commenting on or one that I recommend.

http://www.leeprecision.com/html/catalog/dies-collet.html

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.