Author Topic: couple questions about the ultra slug hunter  (Read 896 times)

Offline Joe S.

• Trade Count: (30)
  • A Real Regular
  • The poisonous mushroom!
couple questions about the ultra slug hunter
« on: December 24, 2009, 03:31:04 PM »
I am trying to buy an ultra slug hunter from a guy.

It will be my first ever slug gun, so I'm just wondering what type of slugs will I need to use? I've seen two types of slugs: sabots and rifled slugs. I'm clueless.

Also I'd like to put a ghost ring sight setup on it instead of a scope. It has the weaver type mount on it so can I pull that off and install something? What's a good setup? Anything made for these guns?

Disclaimer: my phone is my only internet so I can't use the search function... Bear with me. :)
Joe S.
Central MS

"An armed society is a polite society."

redistribute work ethic!

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
Re: couple questions about the ultra slug hunter
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2009, 01:11:12 AM »
   You need the sabots. I was told the rifled ones will lead the barrel up. I know nothing about the sights. Mine has a scope on it. If i was doing it over again i would put a red dot  scope on it.
        bobg

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2009, 07:30:23 AM »
  Try the sabots in Lightfield and remmington. Also the elcheapo Brinneke KO. I have shot a load out of my Ultra slug with no leading issures. I do clean it.

Lonny

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2009, 08:16:43 AM »
Sabots are expensive but as the previous member says, try the Brenneke KO's. I highly suggest 2 3/4" ammo and stay away from the 3" magnums, just not needed, unless you are going after Grizzlies, then hard cast 3" would be the way to go. Others here have had good luck with Remington Buckhammers out of thier rifled shotgun barrels. I can never find them on sale but others seem to....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2009, 09:39:11 AM »
You can sight in just to get on paper and to get it close using some cheap Remington sluggers, and then fine tune it with the Buckhammers or other more expensive Sabot slugs.

You can use the sluggers which are rifled slugs, but they are soft lead and do tend to foul/lead the barrel which will effect accuracy unless you run a couple patches down the bore between shots.

My Tracker ll likes the Buckhammers, so I don't mind spending a little more since I'm using them for hunting with good results, and not target practice.
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline gary bartlow

• Trade Count: (0)
    • http://www.myspace.com/ilbucksndux
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2009, 10:24:30 AM »
I shoot 2 3/4" Lightfields in mine and I'm thinking about switching to 3". I have only had it 2 years and it has killed 4 deer from 30 to 80 yards and have NOT got a pass thru shot even with the 30 yard shot. I like 2 holes better than one. Forget about the red dot go with a scope.
God created man,Sam Colt made them equal.

Offline Joe S.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2009, 11:34:07 AM »
I prefer iron sights for now so I think I'm gonna go with ghost ring setup for now. I'll pick me up some sabots.

Thanks
Joe S.
Central MS

redistribute work ethic!

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2009, 11:50:27 AM »
With sabots it likes you should easily be able to get 2" to 3" groups with it at 100 yards, the gun is capable of that accuracy. Congratulations on a fine hunting shotgun. Be sure you check the rifling to be sure it is not all leaded up or coated with plastic from Sabots, that fouling destroys accuracy, if it is, just use some proper solvent and a brass brush and remove the fouling before you shoot, otherwise you may be wasting ammo trying to sight in a fouled barrel. Also ask the current owner what he shot out of it and what shot best. He may even have some left over ammo he may give you with the gun....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline peternap

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 02:42:33 PM »
If you handload, the Handi's love the Lyman wasp waisted slugs.

Offline Joe S.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2009, 02:47:33 PM »
no handloading for me, but thanks!
Joe S.
Central MS

redistribute work ethic!