Author Topic: Powder need.....  (Read 888 times)

Offline Blucollar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Powder need.....
« on: December 25, 2009, 05:19:39 PM »
Wanting to add another powder & want your opinions.
I now use H4831 & Varget for just about all the loads I have.

I would like to add some versatility with another powder, but I don't want to duplicate the powders I use with the same basic powder in another brand.

All the calibers I now load are basic rifle (.308, .243,.270, etc.).
Just wondering if I need to try in between on burn rate? Faster? Slower?
What do ya think?
Blu
EXCEPT a man be BORN AGAIN, he CANNOT see the kingdon of GOD.  John 3:3 kjv

Offline krod47nw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (250)
Re: Powder need.....
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2009, 06:49:54 PM »
You could try some IMR4350 or some H414 both of which come between the two you already have.
The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2009, 11:38:47 PM »
What is the reason for disatisfaction with the powders you're using?  What kind of accuracy are you getting and what do you want?  Are you looking for more velocity?  Do you want to shoot different bullet weights?

Personally, I prefer to simplify my life.  I generally pick one bullet weight for a particular cartridge, try different bullets in that weight with different powders until I find the load that's most accurate.  At that point, I stop screwing around with loads.  In the long run, a 165 or 168 gr. bullet out of, for instance a 308 Win., will kill anything from groundhogs to moose with proper bullet selection and I see no good reason to come up with a load for 110 gr. bullets and 220 gr. bullets.

Offline 1sourdough

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2009, 11:43:31 PM »
 I think your pretty good too. I use H4895 for the 308 & lighter 243 bullets. I also use H4350 with the 243 & 95/100 grn bullets. Yes I like to simplify, but since powder lasts such a long time when properly stored I have a few extra types available. Also never know when the next 'run on components' is coming.
NRA, Veteran

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2009, 01:44:35 AM »
Quote from: Grumulkin link=topic=193328.msg 1098977318#msg 1098977318 date=1261823927
What is the reason for dissatisfaction with the powders you're using?  What kind of accuracy are you getting and what do you want?  Are you looking for more velocity?  Do you want to shoot different bullet weights?

Personally, I prefer to simplify my life.  I generally pick one bullet weight for a particular cartridge, try different bullets in that weight with different powders until I find the load that's most accurate.  At that point, I stop screwing around with loads.  In the long run, a 165 or 168 gr. bullet out of, for instance a 308 Win., will kill anything from groundhogs to moose with proper bullet selection and I see no good reason to come up with a load for 110 gr. bullets and 220 gr. bullets.

I agree!!

BUT, If you forced me to suggest a powder, I have had excellent results with IMR 4350 in these calibers.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Blucollar

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2009, 03:07:10 AM »
No dissatisfaction, but I have (and want to add) more calibers to reload.
Also I do like to play around with different bullet weights in the .243 & .308.
I have a basic load but always looking for a reason to shoot a little more. ;D

Sometimes Varget doesn't give the accuracy I would like & H4831 is almost to much powder for the case.

Also some bullet weights doesn't give data for both, just looking for something to try and compare with what I have.

I know over time I will have several powders, and I have tried the IMR4350 and liked it (and IMR4320 not so much) just wanting something to compliment what I have and not duplicate it.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2009, 06:33:06 AM »
bluecollar

One powder you should have is H4895 , it is a good all around powder for 223 up to 30/06 , it is also a powder that can be loaded down for youth / light recoiling loads without any issues .

It may not be the best powder for all rounds , HOWEVER it will get the job done in more than most , I Always keep a pound on hand .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2009, 12:10:42 PM »
I'm glad YOU said that stimpy,
 I'm new to loading myself and ain't yet qualified to give advise, but from the burn rates of the powders he has and a desire to experiment some more (ain't that why we load, and how we learn?). Because H4831 is slower than varget, a faster burning powder than varget would fill the ticket.
H4895 is listed in a bunch of books in all the calibers he listed. Bluecollar wanted versatility and not a duplicate, so faster only makes sence too me.
I just got a pound my self, for the .223 and the 7-08,,Barnes lists it for the TSX in 7-08 and I want to try those. It's also a Hogdon "extreme" powder (like the varget I'm using) that they brag is not temp sensitive, and I think that's a big deal here in Minn, it can be 101 or -40,,I want to shoot all year long and still have a decent group in November for the deer hunt.
November isn't as bad a swing, I've only seen 70 too -20 through the years. :D
found elsewhere

Offline 84Jim

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2009, 04:35:11 PM »
I've been hearing lots of good stuff about Reloder 17.  I always figured I was set with the powder I have on hand, but I think I'm going to try out a pound.  I've just starting loading 7.5x55 and they say its the same powder used in the Swiss GP-11 ammo.  Apparently good results in other standard cartridges too.

http://www.6mmbr.com/reloder17.html

Offline pmang

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2009, 07:48:59 AM »
These are the exact same calibers I reload for. I use Varget in my .308 for all loads, IMR 4064 for my light loads in .243 and H4831sc in my .270. I also want to "dabble" with some IMR 4895 with the .308 and .243. I can use the H4831sc with heavy bullets in the .243. I hope that helps.

Offline Bearcat 74

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2009, 07:57:48 AM »
I loves me some H4895

Offline Blucollar

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2009, 04:42:13 AM »
I was not aware of the load capability of H4895 (as far as light loads are concerned).
I think that might be just what I'm looking for.

I have an old 93 mauser that I would like some light loads for, sounds like this might be the stuff.

Thanks Stimpy, And everyone else for the ideas.
Blu

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2009, 07:18:08 PM »
blucollar, in the last year IMR and Hogdon and Winchester have combined. Win296 and H110 are the same powder. Just different lots. And, I have a sneaking suspicion, that IMR4895, and H4895 are not that much different anymore. Anytime you start with a new batch of powder, you want to back your load back down. So if you see one brand, and not the other, I wouldn't hesitat to buy what was on hand, and start from the beginning. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline qajaq59

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2009, 01:45:06 AM »
Personally, I prefer to simplify my life.  I generally pick one bullet weight for a particular cartridge, try different bullets in that weight with different powders until I find the load that's most accurate.
Different strokes for different folks.
I'm just the opposite. When I find the best load for a particular bullet I load 20 and put them aside. Then I start over with different bullets and powders. I seem to enjoy working up a load more then just shooting a good one.

Offline Blucollar

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2009, 03:41:18 PM »
Personally, I prefer to simplify my life.  I generally pick one bullet weight for a particular cartridge, try different bullets in that weight with different powders until I find the load that's most accurate.
Different strokes for different folks.
I'm just the opposite. When I find the best load for a particular bullet I load 20 and put them aside. Then I start over with different bullets and powders. I seem to enjoy working up a load more then just shooting a good one.

Well I don't set any certain number aside, but I do enjoy working up a load.
Always looking for something just a little better!
Blu