Author Topic: Scope Weight  (Read 482 times)

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
Scope Weight
« on: December 26, 2009, 02:04:54 PM »
Something I hadn't paid a lot of attention to is scope weight.  I was gonna buy a 2-7X32 Bushnell 3200 Elite at Bass Pro the other day and I couldn't believe how heavy it was.  I want light low power varibles scopes for my Marlins.  Is there a place online where it's easy to compare the weights of various brands?
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Re: Scope Weight
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009, 02:52:59 PM »
I know you can get scope specs at Bear Basin and I expect SWAFA has them too.

Here are specs for the Bushnell Elite line from Bear Basin  http://www.bearbasin.com/bushnell-elite.htm

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2009, 03:55:45 PM »
That makes it almost exactly the same weight as the 2-7X32 Nikon Prostaff and the 2-7X33 Leupold Rifleman.  It sure seemed heavier.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline diggler1833

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 04:16:21 AM »
You can also Google the manufacturers name and go to thier websites.  Can't remember a scope that has been out for a while that didn't have specs for length and weight.

Offline IOWA DON

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 05:00:32 AM »
For the most part I think Leupold makes scopes fairly light in weight for their power. A rifle has a better feel for offhand shooting without a heavy scope on top. That is, it seems more stable and wants to stay right-side-up. I have a 7MM STW with a light fiberglass stock a 3.5-10 x 50mm scope. Between the light stock and scope mounted in high rings it does not have a good feel for offhand shooting. Other rifles of mine have lighter, lower mounted scopes and feel much better shooting offhand. Anyway, I am a Leupold fan. They make scopes with good eye relief and ruggedness and in addition light weight. In my opinion these are all characteristics for hunting scopes which are much more important than slightly better optical properties.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 12:44:25 PM »
They're nice I just can't afford them.

Offline grvj

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 03:16:44 PM »
Swampman...lightweight scopes mean either minimal glass content (and/or plastic lens) or other lightweight construction like aluminum or plastics. Any of the rugged fixed scopes are tyically 10-18oz with hunter zooms (1.5x6, 2x7, 3x9) anywhere from 12-20oz.

I'd pick lots of glass elements, durability and overbuild any day.