Author Topic: arming your family and neighbors  (Read 2239 times)

Offline jamaldog87

• Trade Count: (0)
arming your family and neighbors
« on: December 28, 2009, 10:35:04 AM »
i read lots of gun magzines. Well i think it was handgunner had a story about arming your family and neighbors  in a emergency/disaster. Well what do you think about that?

I found this site about what i was reading http://standbyliberty.org/tag/friends-and-neighbors/
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline Elijah Gunn

• A Real Regular
Re: arming your family and neighbors
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 12:20:31 PM »
I bought my neighbor some shotgun shells for Christmas this year.
What will you say on Judgement Day?

The BANKERS win every war.

When gardening for food is outlawed, I'll BE an outlaw.

Offline dukkillr

• The Daily Limit
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 01:13:56 PM »
If you don't arm your neighbors who will kill the rampaging feral donkeys when you have been taken down by zombies or werewolves, or giant attack rabbits or whatever else you keep running into (without a single picture)?

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 01:20:35 PM »
Back when Y2K was a big concern.  i had a box with a long barreld AK with a bipod and a few hundred round drums, with that I had four SKS, another AK rifle, a couple short barreled 12 ga pumps and enough ammo to feed all of them.  My thinking was to have enough firepower to hand out to man a wall that ran around the Condo complex.   I talked to a couple of my neighbors, one was a SEAL about it when the topic came up over beers.  They commented that they would be good back up but they would use their OWN guns and ammo.  We also figured that we could not agree on who if anyone would attack us.  I have never lived in a place where i was afraid of a riot.  Since then I sold off the spare AK and all of the SKS rifles.  I look at it as I need what I need and have more than enough to wait out any problem, and have enough ammo for each gun from 22LR to the 375H&H to load every gun 5 times if not more.  If friends or neighbors come to me asking for help I can do it.  But I don't think I will go from door to door and hand someone a kit of Long gun, hand gun and ammo making a neighborhood malitia.
Now when it comes to family you may want to look at what you already have and see who cna shoot what and who you want to have a gun. A single shot shotgun or 22LR that you use for hunting will make do and deter someone to look for an easier target.  My father only has hunting guns at his house.  I would not feel under armed with his deer rifle, pump or semi auto shotgun, or even his 22 tree rat killer.
Heck even his full auto BB gun would deter someone from comming up the front stairs and go look for another easier target.  Also when it comes to family.  How do I say this.  My father would argue with them and not shoot.  My uncle would say "get out" count to 3 and  follow it with well aimed rounds.  I guess you need to know what your family members are willing and able to do if given a gun.
What was that little 45 single shot pistol they dropped all over Europe in WWII the Liberator?  It was designed to shoot a single round and you needed a pencil or rod to eject the spent case.  But it was there to get a better gun.  Your single shot shotgun, Black powder handgun, or other hunting gun may yield you a Pump semi auto shotgun, a rifle or a handgun of someone comming to raid your house.

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 05:44:42 PM »
All my neighbors are Yankees and don't know which end of a gun to point at a criminal.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 01:47:26 AM »
Why would you arm them ? Then they can attack you ! Hasn't gun control BS taught you anything ?
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 05:56:12 AM »
All my neighbors are Yankees and don't know which end of a gun to point at a criminal.
Hey I am a Yankee and I never had to point a gun at anyone till I moved to Va.

Offline hunt-m-up

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 06:02:33 AM »
All of us Yankees up here are well-armed enough, my neighbors don't need any help, helluva difference between a small town and a metro area...
Crosman Slingshot, Daisy Red Ryder, dull butter knife

Offline Skunk

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 06:13:54 AM »

Doesn't sound like you taught them very well Charles.
Mike

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" - Frank Loesser

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 09:48:44 AM »

Mine are all liberals... just as bad :D  BTW, yankee isn't capitalized... where'd you go to school!?   ::) ;D

Why would you arm them ? Then they can attack you ! Hasn't gun control BS taught you anything ?

This was my first thought!   :o  I think a zombie outbreak would just be a little chlorine in the liberal gene pool...  ;D
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2009, 09:58:39 AM »
 yankee isn't capitalized... where'd you go to school!?   ::) ;D

I always thought it was a proper noun.  Like a knick name and should be capitalized.
At least in the context my southern cousins use it.
Like when I got off the Plane in New Bern NC a week ago.
"Hey Yankee how was the flight?"
"Get out that Yankee money of yours and pay the bill"
And "Hey Yankee did you make a meal?"
And I don't care what you all (Yawl) say.
Collard Greens and Kale are not food.  Anything that smells like low tide when cooking cna not be good to eat.

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2009, 11:59:09 AM »

This was my first thought!   :o  I think a zombie outbreak would just be a little chlorine in the liberal gene pool...  ;D
[/quote]

If there was a RE(reanimated corpse) outbreak i hear about a gov plan to control it if it could not control in one area. the plan calls for cluster bombs of chemical or biological weapons, Incendiary cluster bombs  intended to start fires  with submunitions of white phosphorus or napalm and anti-personnel/anti-tank submunitions to hamper firefighting efforts.

I know of these kinds of bomb being used on  cities they have often been preceded by the use of conventional explosive bombs to break open the roofs and walls of buildings to expose flammable contents to the incendiaries.  I also know in  some modern bombs, submunitions are used to deliver a highly combustible thermobaric aerosol, which is subsequently ignited, resulting in a high pressure explosion. So if zombies did come  you would not have to think about it for long.

I would not trust most city people becuase many and the wrost shot and they would shoot me becuase they hear someone. Now my family my mom just like me she has no problem shoot someone if need be and anyone i care about i make sure they know how to use a gun. My dad was in the navy but he hate guns and can't shoot at all.

That would be cool if a neighbor got me ammo for Christmas ;D ;D that the gift that keep on giveing.
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline hunt-m-up

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2009, 12:13:25 PM »
Just curious Jamal, what would be your weapon of choice these days?
Crosman Slingshot, Daisy Red Ryder, dull butter knife

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2009, 01:33:27 PM »
I live on the coast in NC.  On my street we have owners from WV, PA, DE, OH, NJ, and VA resident and another fellow from NC.  None hunt except the guy from OH.  Suppose he and I will have to defend us all.

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2009, 02:09:24 PM »
Where are you.  
Dad lives in Minnisott (near Oriental and New Bern) and has a 4 year old yellow Lab that loves to hunt and he needs someone to hunt with.

After I wrote that I looked on your Profile.  Frisco is in the middle of the Ocean.  It would take you too long to go woodduck hunting on the farm.

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2009, 12:31:31 PM »
Just curious Jamal, what would be your weapon of choice these days?

what i have now or what i would have they days? well i have a Pakistan Boot Knife, Black Ronin Ninja Sword, a wakizashi(short sword),nunchucks,  2 Heavy Machetes , a 3oz can of pepper spray,  2 steel bats (one by the door ) and a 50 cal black powder handgun(loaded and in a waterpoof can).  i think some of that should do the job.

what i would have is a 44mag levergun, hi-point rilfe in 40S&W, a 357 4 or 6'' wheel gun,  and a mix of other guns.  any of those guns are easy to use and  have the power to stop anything. But as i said before i don't have a car, tarpon is a very low people crime area(they been no attacks here so far) and the cop shop is right next door to the tarpon wood apts were i live. so i am without guns.

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2009, 12:35:30 PM »
One thing I can't decide on - Which neighbor gets the rocket launcher....
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2009, 12:47:48 PM »
NOT ME.  I still have a couple small scars from the back blast on my chest.  There is a reason they tell you to button up your jacket up all the way.
and never wear a POLO shirt.
No Flame throwers,
Hand Gernades (something wrong with not being able to throw the things farther than the kill radius),
or recoiless rifles for me either.

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2009, 12:58:23 PM »
No POLO shirts?  I was kind of thinking of getting dressed up for the whole thing.  Arming the neighbors should be the biggest hoot since the neighbor hood Bar Bee Que went bad a few years ago.... :o

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2009, 01:01:10 PM »
LOL   ;)

Offline jlchucker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2009, 01:04:40 PM »

Some of us Yankees grew up bringing our deer rifles to grade school so that we could hunt on the walk in and on the way home. We never did have to point our guns at any criminals.  For some reason, they never seemed to be around.  You must be talking about that particular breed of "yankee" that we up here call "flatlanders". 

Offline 454Puma

• A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2010, 10:57:31 AM »
I would hope my neighbor would have armed himself! ::)  Cause if  he didn't then that tells me he don't care about his or his families safety! So why should I care? >:(
One shot , One Kill

Offline MGMorden

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2010, 01:01:49 PM »
Heh.  I live in the middle of nowhere in SC.  I doubt there's anyone for miles who doesn't own a gun.  Not to mention that 90% of the houses for miles are family members.  Uncles, Cousins, Parents, brother - we're all pretty close to each other.  There's a small harbor town (sells a lot of seafood and such wholesale) about 10 miles away.  I've often  heard the joke that our family got off the boat there a few hundred years ago and 10 miles is about as far as we've gotten since  ;D.  Hell until I late high school when I got Internet access I didn't even know there was an anti-gun movement in this country.  The thought was as foreign to me at that time as if you'd announced that there was a rabid group trying to outlaw pencils.

It's safe to say, if the zombie apocalypse ever comes, I'll feel pretty safe :).

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2010, 03:30:09 AM »
Bet you have heard that fearful term used that makes strong me shake - " THEM AIN"T FROM ROUND HERE "  ;D
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2010, 01:25:17 PM »
Bet you have heard that fearful term used that makes strong me shake - " THEM AIN"T FROM ROUND HERE "  ;D
Heard it .  Bet he is the one saying it.    ;D

Offline 1marty

• A Real Regular
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2010, 03:17:22 PM »
My wife gave me a call one day and said two guys were looking in the windows. I told her to take the Rem 870 and show it to them when they looked in.  When they saw it she said all she saw was a dust cloud after they took off.

Offline Default_Required

• Avid Poster
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2010, 08:13:03 AM »
Ahhhhhhhh Y2K ,

Boy if only our worries were that simple now .  10/22 , Norinco Paratrooper AK magazine model with a pistol grip Choate folding stock and a Ruger 41 mag black hawk .. Then plenty of in field medic supplies / large truama kits etc. and various other survival minded gear.

Arming my neighbors ? Would depend heavily on the neighbor and the situation.

Arming my family ? Could do that a couple times over with ammo to spare, As every man should be able to do IMO.

And for the Zambies ... They just dont know what is waiting for them when they spring up around my neck of the woods.. Of course though I need clarification.

Are we talking George A. Romero's Zombies ?  

Or the 28days/weeks Zombies?

Or even worse the I AM LEGEND Super Zombies ?

I'm afraid, how I would prepare would all be very dependent on those factors right there  ;) and would be very deciding in how my fellow Arkansians could handle the impending swarms of Zambies.

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2010, 10:38:57 AM »
you need not fear.  When plan wild fire happens you would not have to worry about it. If you saw what happen on 28 weeks later then you know about plan wild fire.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2010, 04:07:49 PM »
why dont come up here and sneek around this yankees house. I havent killed anything in a couple weeks and im getting itchy! Just another little fact. We won the war so maybe its you yankees that had better practice a tad more  ;D
blue lives matter

Offline 1marty

• A Real Regular
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2010, 05:41:40 PM »
Remember when the zombies come you need to shoot them in the head. They don't seem to die with body shots. Also. you should think of drilling gun ports through your house's wall. The zombies can crash through windows.