Author Topic: Unhappy!  (Read 1676 times)

Offline TheOpticZone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
Unhappy!
« on: October 27, 2003, 04:12:18 AM »
I am p**sed off at Leupold.  They are making all retailers sell at a MAP (Manufacturing Advertised Price) or we will be cut off from the Leupold line.  It is the big 2 (Cabelas & Bass Pro) that are complaining about the pricing.  We are trying to make it a little more apealing by offering free Leupold accessories, like rings and bases, sunshades, etc.  What do you guys think?
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!

Offline akpls

• Contributor
Unhappy!
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2003, 05:05:12 AM »
I believe they need to hear from the users.  How about an email/letter writing campaign?

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Unhappy!
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2003, 06:44:49 AM »
I think they've gotten too big for their breeches and need to be brought down a peg. They've signed the deal with Wal-Mart also on the Rifleman series of scopes. I guess with that and what Bass ProShops and Cabela's sells they don't figure they need the rest of you dealers.

I say BUY BUSHNELL!

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline SBF

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.members.cox.net/cruffler
Unhappy!
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2003, 06:57:33 AM »
Having managed a hunting and fishing store in the past I can say that a lot of things like this are present in the industry.  I remember that we couldn't order factory direct from Ruger since we sold S&W's, we had to buy from wholesellers like Davidsons.  We would get no advertising co-op money from S&W if a Ruger firearm (of any type) was also advertised in the flyer.  Little crap like this occurs all the time, sadly it seems to be part of doing business (at least in the firearm industry) :(
SmallBoreFreak and Cruffler

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
Unhappy!
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2003, 07:08:21 AM »
And the bad part is that it effects the "little" businesses the most.
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

Offline KN

Unhappy!
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2003, 12:36:06 PM »
I'm no lawyer but isn't that ILLEGAL! I think that falls under the heading of price fixing and unfair business practices. Didn't one of the video game manufactures get into big trouble a few years back for doing the same thing?   KN

Offline SHW

Unhappy!
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2003, 01:07:50 PM »
I don't agree with it.  It's called the American way.  The big boys try to rule the playground.

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
Unhappy!
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2003, 01:12:15 PM »
I would think that their sales are going to fall off.  As the smaller stores start pushing other name brands because they are easier to work with maybe Leupold will see the light (no pun intended).

long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
Unhappy!
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2003, 01:53:51 PM »
longwinters,

I agree 100%, you wouldn't hear much promoting of Leupolds from me.  Go Nikon and Bushnell!!   :lol:
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

Offline Dave in WV

Unhappy!
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2003, 02:10:06 PM »
Remington cut their throats several years ago when they moved to NC. They sold off everything they had at the NY plant to Kmart, Target, and another chain below distributor's cost. The disributors and the local stores raised hell with Big Green to no avail. When they opened the new plant sales seemed low so Big Green inquired why. For a few years Big Green had to offer incentives to the local stores so they could compete with the chains. While Leupolds are of good quality, they are over priced and have a narrow field of view. With Bushnell, Nikon, and Zeiss closing in is this a wise move? :?   NOT!!! I guess they long to join Redfield, Weaver, and B&L. Remember those US made optics?  Dave
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline Zachary

Unhappy!
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2003, 02:52:21 AM »
Quote from: Graybeard
I think they've gotten too big for their breeches and need to be brought down a peg. They've signed the deal with Wal-Mart also on the Rifleman series of scopes. I guess with that and what Bass ProShops and Cabela's sells they don't figure they need the rest of you dealers.

I say BUY BUSHNELL!

GB

I totally agree with GB.  Leupold has a very arrogant front, and for little reason.  While other manufacturers are been drastically improving their products, and selling them at lower costs, Leupold has been resting on their laurels for a long time.  Compared by today's standards, the Vari-X III is old and outdated - kinda like a 8 year old computer.  Granted, they still work well, but, for the price, you can get a much better product - Like the Elite 4200 and Nikon Monarch.  What most people don't understand is that the Vari-X III has been essentially unchanged since about 1988 - that's about 13 years.  So why do the prices keep on climbing?

I would expect that Leupold is going to suffer a black eye because of this - and I hope they do.  I know that there are die hard Leupold fans out there, and for those of you who are listening, just listen to this - I am a very neutral person - In fact, I own three Vari-X III scopes, all of which are Illuminated scopes, and they do work well.  However, for the price, you just can't beat an Elite 4200 - and it has rainguard.

It's bad enough that Leupold is making a mint by selling old technology - now they have to make it worse by selling it at higher prices so that cry baby stores like Cabelas and Bass Pro can compete with smaller guys like theopticzone.   Leupold is just shooting themselves in the foot.

Jon, I would anticipate that customers will easily be "swayed" to buy Nikons and Elites - which are better, and less expensive than the Vari-X IIIs.

Zachary

Zachary

Offline Bob in TX

• http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com
Unhappy!
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2003, 02:53:09 AM »
It is illegal. Someone will file a class action suit if this is indeed correct. Unfortunately, there always seems to be a way for the big guys to work around it. I hope it gets clipped ASAP. Nikon, B&L, Burris, Zeiss, Weaver, et all are looking better all of the time.

Bob
There is room for all of God's creatures, right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Offline wildman

• Avid Poster
Unhappy!
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2003, 01:42:39 AM »
I must say that I got caught up in the Leupold hype myself.  I just thought they were tops in optics.  That is, until I looked through a Bushnell Elite.  Even the 3200 I have appears much clearer than any Leupold I own, plus they have Rainguard.  I don't know about warranty service from Bushnell, but it appears they give you the most scope for the dollar.  To tell the truth, every Leupold I ever bought was used, because I just refused to spend the price that new ones demand.  In my opinion, they just aren't worth what the big retailers advertise them for.  They are good quality, but way too overpriced! :shock:   If my Elite 3200 holds up well, I will be buying more Bushnell scopes, and would really like to try a 4200 in 2.5-10 power on my BAR.
The intruder turns around slowly, sees both barrels, and hears a low-deep voice say "Son, the left one's iron and the right one's steel, if the left one don't get you, the right one will"

Offline Zachary

Unhappy!
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2003, 05:47:10 AM »
Quote from: KN
I'm no lawyer but isn't that ILLEGAL! I think that falls under the heading of price fixing and unfair business practices. Didn't one of the video game manufactures get into big trouble a few years back for doing the same thing?   KN

Actually, I'm a lawyer and can tell that it is not price-fixing.  Price-fixing refers to situations where multiple manufacturers get together and decide to "fix" their prices in order to stop avoiding to compete with EACH OTHER.  In this instance with Leupold, Leupold is not getting together with any other company to "fix" prices - nor could they because the products vary greatly in terms of quality, features, etc.

To give you an example, Texaco, Shell, Exxon, and Mobil get together and decide to "fix" their prices so that the price at the pump is the same.  Well, gas is essentially gas - the product is essentially the same.

Scopes, on the other hand, are very different.  You can't have Leupold and, say, Simmons, "fix" prices on scopes because the quality is so great that price fixing won't work.  If a Leupold costs $500 and a Simmons costs $100, they won't fix the price to $200 because Leupold would loose money.  But since gas is essentially the same, the big gas companies "could" price fix (although they wouldn't dare).

Keep in mind that Leupold is not the only optics company to fix THEIR OWN prices.  Nightforce does the same thing.

Zachary

Offline Dave in WV

Unhappy!
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2003, 07:50:50 AM »
Zack, I agree with your post. Look at Zeiss Conquest prices on the 3x9. $399 no matter where you look. I noticed that right off when checking around. If a company does that right off it doesn't piss us off like changing to this policy several years after the fact.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein