Author Topic: newbie question: why expensive scopes?  (Read 2438 times)

Offline Drilling Man

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: newbie question: why expensive scopes?
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2009, 03:03:20 AM »
i think one of the best deals going is the 4x32 bushnell dusk till dawn for around 70-80 bucks got one on a cva stalker that ive prolly put 300 rounds through its clear and i dont ever plan on shooting it over 100 yards anyway i never turn any of my rifle scopes over 6x because even my heart beat will move the crosshairs off a deers chest at 200 yards if its turned up on 12x

I'm just wondering?  Do you think that when that scope is lower than 6X, that your heartbeat "isn't" moving the crosshairs off a deer's chest at 200 yards?

DM

Offline diggler1833

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2009, 09:40:49 PM »
Good point.  You just see your errors more with higher magnification, doesn't mean that you aren't making them with lower magnification.  However, seeing your errors with a higher power scope can also start messing with a shooter mentally and throw them off.

I suggest using "The Force" if you come up with this mental block.  Start by moving small objects around your house with telekenesis.  If that doesn't work, you can always just try practicing shooting a lot with a .22.  After a few hundred (more like thousand) rounds, you should have seen a pretty noticeable difference in your ability to shoot in a field position.

A lot of shooters also gripe that they can't find anything in the scope when it is higher than 6x too because the field of view is too narrow.  Shoot with both eyes open, helps pick up targets much faster and stay on the target easier.

Shoot during your natural respiratory pause, keeps that nasty heartbeat from throwing your crosshairs off.

I can't think of anything else stupid to say at 0330 in the morning, maybe my kid will start to feel better and I can get back to bed for an hour.

Offline Brithunter

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2009, 11:20:37 PM »
i think one of the best deals going is the 4x32 bushnell dusk till dawn for around 70-80 bucks got one on a cva stalker that ive prolly put 300 rounds through its clear and i dont ever plan on shooting it over 100 yards anyway i never turn any of my rifle scopes over 6x because even my heart beat will move the crosshairs off a deers chest at 200 yards if its turned up on 12x

I'm just wondering?  Do you think that when that scope is lower than 6X, that your heartbeat "isn't" moving the crosshairs off a deer's chest at 200 yards?

DM

The simple solution to that is wear a heavy glove on the hand supporting the rifle, just like target shooters do  ;), you pulse moves the rifle not matter what power scope you have unless you insulate of isolate it from doing so. try this with your 4x scope  ;) lay your support hand flat with the back of it on the table then lay your rifle on the hand then carefully look through the scope and watch it dance up and down on the target  ;D.