Author Topic: .45 Colt pistol/rifle load  (Read 1253 times)

Offline schutzen

• Trade Count: (0)
.45 Colt pistol/rifle load
« on: December 30, 2009, 07:42:09 AM »
I am looking for a good hunting load in .45 Colt to use in both a pistol (Ruger Blackhawk) and a rifle (Winchester '94).  Then intended targets are deer and feral hogs, so any upper mid-range load should do very well.  I have a good supply of 250 grain bullets, but I can not find loading data that supports the 250 grain bullet for both rifle & pistol.  Can anyone give me any help?

Thanks to all

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: .45 Colt pistol/rifle load
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 08:05:10 AM »
 do not like to post loads as mistakes happen and I do not want to be responsible for any one getting hurt.
 But there are many many excellent loads listed in every manufacturers manuals.

I like to recommend the excellent LYMAN Manuel to new shooters/re-loaders as they do not manufacturer bullets or powder. So they list all popular materials. Once you establish a fondness for a brand, buy that manufacturers Manuel and continue on.

I think your choice for e 250Gr bullet is a good one, but do not discount the 300's performance on game. I have shot both deer and hogs with this caliber with both the 3250 and 300Gr bullets and much prefer the 300's. My load is WW296 powder, CCI 350 primer and a SIERRA 300gr bullet.

Good luck,
 CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline schutzen

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 08:21:37 AM »
That is my problem.  I have 4 manuals here, but none list a load for 250 grain bullets that are compatible with both a rifle & a pistol.  Buying another $30 loading manual kind of shoots the economy of the cheaper bullets out the window.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 08:27:30 AM »
 How is it that a pistol load will not be compatible with a rifle? I haven't made any specific rifle or pistol loads in terms of powder. That SIERRA bullet I mentioned to you is too long for some revolvers, then I will switch to a SPEER 300gr SP.

Pick a load and try it, as always start lo and work up. With luck you will find one that's accurate if both your firearms.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline schutzen

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 08:41:29 AM »
cwlongshot,

Your comment about the Lyman Manual got me to thinking.  I checked the only Lyman metallic cartridge manual I have (circa 1964 & is old enough I do not use it frequently).  It has loads for a 250 grain bullet, but does not differentiate rifle or pistol loads. 

Is a .45 Colt not sensitive to rifle vs. pistol loads like the .44 Magnum is?

I have loaded several thousands of rifle/pistol rounds for a Marlin 1894/Ruger Blackhawk/S&W M29 combinations over the years and I just assumed a .45 Colt pistol/rifle set up would be load sensitive like the .44 magnum.  Am I incorrect on this assumption?

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 09:38:49 AM »
Hey guys, let me take a crack at this.

You are correct about being load sensitive. EVERY gun is load sensitive to a degree. How much that bothers is pretty much determined by the requirements of the shooter. Some guns are super sensitive to some shooters, and completely unsensitive to others. Are we shooting elk at 50 feet or aspirin tablets at 100 yards. The requirements make the difference.

MY experience with rifle/revolver combos is specifically that the heaviest loads my Ruger Blackhawk 41mag would digest, and stay within the limits of the manual, would cause head seperations in my Marlin 1894 41mag rifle. The revolver has a cylinder gap, which acts as an escape valve. The rifle does not and will develop higher pressure with the same powder charge. The longer barrel also attributes to the higher pressures being developed. If you look at the 44mag data for revolver and compare to rifle, you will find the rifle data is either equal or lower max charges than the revolver data.

Each gun is unique, to a degree. When I get the 45 Colt rifle to go with my Ruger Bisley Blackhawk 45 Colt, I know my revolver loads will be ok for pressure as I'm still in the "normal" 45 colt data range. I'll taylor the load for accuracy in the rifle, and the revolver will still be accurate within my capabilities with it.
Your capabilities and/or requirements may be totally different than mine, and very likely are, but I think you are making this more difficult than it really is. CW gave you some great info and advise. Up to you to make it happen. Happy New Year!

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 09:45:46 AM »
A ps: a phenomena not associated with the 44Mag, but very much so with the 45 Colt is that the 45 Colt operates in several pressure ranges. You and your guns will dictate which pressure range you wish to operate in and sort of changes the "max" charge relationships a bit. Some of the guys with 45 Colt rifle experience may want to jump in here. Still I know that what I use in my revolver for the 45 Colt will be well within the limits of what the rifles can handle - simiply a matter of fine tuning the accuracy for the rifle, as it will most likely be more accurate than my revolver in my hands with my eyes.

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Offline schutzen

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 10:48:11 AM »
CW & Sweetwater,

I am not trying to offend anyone, but I am trying to jump start an older mind.  It has been 20+ years since I developed any "new" loads for a rifle/pistol combination and I have had difficulty in finding clear cut data.  I still have not located any data specifically for a .45 Colt rifle.  With the .45 Colt's history of bursting SAA's and SAA replicas, I just want to make sure I do not make a .45 Colt rifle bomb.

CW has some good advice and got my wheels turning in the right direction.  I had even forgot about my old Lyman manual, I put it up when my son started reloading because some of the loads in it are beyond what is considered safe today.

Thanks to both for the help, Steve

Offline spinafish

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 12:13:39 PM »
Schutzen,I think you might find this article very interesting..good info there..http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/45coltlevergun.htm
the most heartwreching words any man will ever hear
"depart from me, I never knew you"  Jesus
We may ignore, but we can nowhere evade the presence of God. The world is crowded with Him. He walks everywhere incognito.” C.S. Lewis

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 12:28:59 PM »
That is a great article by Paco Kelly.

For sure, no offense taken. Looks like you are on your way on safe ground. Have fun!

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 12:56:03 PM »
The Lyman 49th has rifle specific data for the 45 Colt. The test rifle they use for the data is a Winchester '94. Accurate powders also has load data for a rifle.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline schutzen

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 01:03:02 PM »
spinafish,

Thanks, the Paco Kelly article was just what I was looking for.  I'm headed out to roll up a few .45's with 18 grains of 2400 and we will go from there.

doublebass73,

Thanks for the tip on the Lyman 49th.  I am not adverse to purchasing a new manual if I know it has what I am looking for in it.  I hate shrink wrap, but understand the need for it.

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2009, 03:11:32 PM »
Let us know how you make out with the 2400, I'm going to try some at some point.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2009, 03:58:30 PM »
Quote from: schutzen link=topic=193867.msg 1098981459#msg 1098981459 date=1262209691
CW & Sweetwater,

I am not trying to offend anyone, but I am trying to jump start an older mind.  It has been 20+ years since I developed any "new" loads for a rifle/pistol combination and I have had difficulty in finding clear cut data.  I still have not located any data specifically for a .45 Colt rifle.  With the .45 Colt's history of bursting SAAs and SAA replicas, I just want to make sure I do not make a .45 Colt rifle bomb.

CW has some good advice and got my wheels turning in the right direction.  I had even forgot about my old Lyman manual, I put it up when my son started reloading because some of the loads in it are beyond what is considered safe today.

Thanks to both for the help, Steve

No offence taken at all!!

The 45 hot loads destroying colt and colt clones is not a concern when loading for the handi. It can safely digest about any sane load. Heck, I re chambered mine too 454 and Tim did his to 460 S&W, Both more than double the RUGER level 45COLT loads.

Sweetwater has some good advice. before reading his addendum, I was  going to ad exactly what he did. I find the pressure levels of the colt dosen't make it nearly as finiky as the "magnums" when building loads for both rifle and pistol. BUT each forearm is its own identy and needs to be handled as such. SO sorry no real shortcuts here, load something up and go have some fun shooting!!  Bring a pad and pencil and jot down the results!!

Good shooting,
 CW

NRA LIFE Member