Author Topic: Cabella's '62 Colt Army Police - need info - anyone have one?  (Read 1243 times)

Offline bedbugbilly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Cabella's '62 Colt Army Police - need info - anyone have one?
« on: December 30, 2009, 10:19:33 AM »
I have several different "Navy" models - Remy & Colt.  For a long time, I've been thinking about adding a '62 "Pocket Police".  If my understanding is correct, these were smaller frame 5 shot .36 revolvers.  I've heard that they utilized a '49 size frame size but I'm certainly no expert on that.  Cabellas lists a '62 Army Police with a semi-fluted cylinder.  I'm curious to know if this pistol they are offering - I believe it is a Pietta brand - actually is based on the original '62 Pocket Police or is it just a '61 Navy with a semi-fluted cylinder and a 5 inch barrel?  They don't list in their description if it is a 5 or 6 chamber cylinder but I've heard that it is a 6 shot which automatically is contrary to the originals.  At times, the write-ups of the pistols they carry seem to be a grand exercise in "creative writing".  I'm not bad mouthing them - they are a good company to do business with.  But, sometimes the descriptions tend to make "fact" out of fiction in regards to historical accuracy.  Does anyone have one or have you seen one so that you can answer my questions?  I really don't want to buy it if it is nothing more than a "modified" '61 Navy - I want something that is close to the frame size  of the originals.  It doesn't have to be perfect but I'd like it to at least be somewhat authentic in frame size/grip size - i'e. a true "pocket" size.  If this model that Cabellas carries doesn't fit the ticket, does anybody make one that does?  Were any made by older companies like ASM, etc. that I could possibly pick up used in good condition?  Many thanks.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single one on my right hip is good enough for me.  Besides, I'm probably only half as good as he was anyway . . . . now . . . how do I load this confounded contraption?

Hiram's Rangers - Badge #63

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
Re: Cabella's '62 Colt Army Police - need info - anyone have one?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 12:14:26 PM »
You guessed right, it's a '61 Navy with a fluted cylinder and 5" barrel. And you are spot on again when you say Cabelas catalog descriptions are "a grand exercise in creative writing", I've never heard it better put. ;D
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline StrawHat

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 12:59:29 AM »
The Pietta that is offered by Cabela's is indeed an 1861 with a non standard barrel as was pointed out by coyotejoe.  Uberti and others have made closer copies of the Pocket Navy and the Pocket Police Colts.  Not sure if anyone is currently making a correct copy but sometimes you can find a used one.  Not too often as those that have them, like them!

Here's a photo to consider.

My Pocket Police by Uberti

And my Pocket Navies, also by Uberti

These were originally built on the 31 caliber frame and used the rebated cylinder, ala the 1860, to gain the diameter needed to increase the caliber.  Newer steel technology used by Colts allowed this to happen.  The revolvers made using the 31 frame were more numerous than any other Colts model produced.  Once you handle one, you will see why.  Although I do like my 1861s, when I carry a 36 it is usually my Pocket Police.
"Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result"  Winston Churchill

"A law without a punishment is merely advice."  anonymous

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 06:06:38 AM »
Uberti does still make the pocket navy and the metro police revolvers, as does another Italian maker, I'm not sure if it's Pietta or Army San Marco, but there are two brands being produced. I've owned a couple over the years but didn't keep them long. They are nice and light to carry and as accurate as any other but don't handle well. The skinny little grips don't provide a good handle and the light weight out front doesn't balance the effort of cocking the hammer. They were a good choice for cops who were require to carry a gun but didn't expect to ever fire it.
 They are a good small game gun to carry in a shoulder rig along with your shotgun for potting sitting bunnies inside 15-20 yards. Also good for playing "Josey Wales" and just general fun shooting.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline bedbugbilly

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 06:49:47 AM »
Thanks to all of you for the great information!  Thanks for the photos as well - you've got some great looking pistols!  I passed up a chance to buy a used Pocket Navy a year ago and have been kicking myself ever since - what is it they say "sometimes you just can't fix stupid"!   ::)  I don't think the grip size would be an issue for me as I have smaller hands.  Besides the fact that both the Pocket Police and the Pocket Navy are great looking pistols, I'd like to have the smaller size just for the ease of carrying at times.  I eventually want a 49 Baby but I'd like the "punch" of the .36 for when I run across woodchucks, etc. on the farm as I usually can get fairly close to them.  Again, many thanks for the help - it is greatly appreciated!  A very "Happy New Year" to you all.  Sincerely, bedbug
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single one on my right hip is good enough for me.  Besides, I'm probably only half as good as he was anyway . . . . now . . . how do I load this confounded contraption?

Hiram's Rangers - Badge #63

Offline madcratebuilder

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 10:21:45 AM »
Uberti offers pocket frame revolvers and you can still find new old stock ASM's.  I have a ASM 62 Police pocket that is every bit as nice as the several 2nd gen pockets I have.  ASM put all the proof marks and other 'bill board' stamps on the bottom of the barrel and frame so it does not look like an black powder bill board, one of my pet peeves.

Offline StrawHat

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 12:17:36 AM »
Thanks to all of you for the great information!  Thanks for the photos as well - you've got some great looking pistols!  I passed up a chance to buy a used Pocket Navy a year ago and have been kicking myself ever since - what is it they say "sometimes you just can't fix stupid"!   ::)  I don't think the grip size would be an issue for me as I have smaller hands.  Besides the fact that both the Pocket Police and the Pocket Navy are great looking pistols, I'd like to have the smaller size just for the ease of carrying at times.  I eventually want a 49 Baby but I'd like the "punch" of the .36 for when I run across woodchucks, etc. on the farm as I usually can get fairly close to them.  Again, many thanks for the help - it is greatly appreciated!  A very "Happy New Year" to you all.  Sincerely, bedbug

Never regret passing on something, life is too short to second guess yourself.  Besides, eventually, there will be another one come by.

Grip size isn't all that bad.  Yes, it is smaller than the Belt Navy guns and much smaller than the 60 but there is still enough for a bit of shooting.  Not that I would try a 100 shot match with it.  Then, give me one of my 60s.

As for the 36 vs 31 caliber, don't discount the 31.  A right snappy little projectile and easy on the money.  That may be my next purchase.
"Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result"  Winston Churchill

"A law without a punishment is merely advice."  anonymous

Offline blhof

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 12:54:05 PM »
I recently purchased a ASM 31 cal pocket that is a real joy to shoot and the little powder flask and a few oz. of balls makes for a good day of shooting and enough power to easily take a rabbit at 10 to 20 yds. if you can hit it.