Author Topic: Rifle sight questions?  (Read 1286 times)

Offline dangerranger

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
Rifle sight questions?
« on: December 30, 2009, 12:41:09 PM »
I have an old topper 148 in 20ga. it has a bulge in its barrel about 3" back from the muzzle. I have been admiring some of your pics of shortys and think this would make a good canadate. I have several rifle sights that would fit this reciver but am unshure about how high I need to be. and how much adjustment Id need. slug and buckshot are not commonly used around here so I dont have many to compare to. the other thing is how much to cut off? if I cut just the min it will leave 23" or I could go back to 18".  how much does length affect smooth bore slugs? heres a couple of pics of my posibilitys.

this is the topper, the front sight is set on the barrel at 18"

this rear sight has alot of room for adjustment, but sticks up pretty high and may be easily broken?

this one is a Williams that I have several blades and a peep apiture for, but doesnt have as much adjustment room.  what do youall think will work best?

Offline bubba.50

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (151)
Re: Rifle sight questions?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 12:53:25 PM »
18in would be handier, 23in would be more pleasant to shoot and may have slightly better ballistics. i would recommend using the williams base w/peep and probably about a medium height front blade. you won't really need that much adjustment with slugs or buckshot. sight it for about 50yds and let'er rip. my opinion and worth what you paid for it. good luck and good shootin' neighbor, bubba.
fetch the hammer maggie-they's a bee on the baby's head!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 01:59:03 PM »
There's a sight height formula in Peep and Firesights in the FAQs.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline dangerranger

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 03:34:12 PM »
Thanks Bubba, and Tim. I tried the calculator and had to go back out to the garage for some more parts till I found two combos that will work. one with the Williams mounted over the chamber and the other with the taller sight mounted lower on the barrel. the calculator tho doesnt take into concideration the trajectory of a slug. does anyone know aprox what the drop is at 50 and 100yds? DR

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 05:36:41 PM »
Just shoot it.  ;)

Tim

Offline dangerranger

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 05:43:19 PM »
Oh man! I started checking out slug manufactures sites, and they are all over the place. Im thinking its time to cut the barrel , and tape the sights on till I find a combo Im happy with. I do like looking through the williams with the peep best. thanks. DR

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 03:01:30 AM »
YUP< Thats exactly what I was going to suggest, 100MPH tape them to the barrel and shoot them!!

I will suggest against the remington site in that position. It will be hard to see, a peep is much better so close to your eye.

If you like, I could snap some close-up pics of a couple of mine..

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline a4beltfed2000

• Trade Count: (16)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2009, 03:17:26 AM »
CW- if you dont mind snapping a couple of pics I think it would be good for a few people? how did you mount yours drill and tap braze/silver solder?
H&R/NEF 10, 12,16 20 28 ,410 .243 45 357 45lc. 1919a4, uzi, sten mK 2,3,5 M2HB, 1917a1, ak74(2) amd 65, RPK (2) 11 aks and 50 other guns....

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2009, 02:11:36 PM »
I'd sugest 22" . I've found that to be a perfect length for my woods roaming 12ga.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline dangerranger

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2009, 02:29:47 PM »
 I ended up cutting it to 22". and after shooting it Im glad I didnt go any shorter.it really kicks! the best thing I learned is that it shot three brands of slugs equily well. at 25yds I could get three nearly touching, and at 50 yds I could get three into three inches. I also learned that two sided mounting tape doesnt hold up to recoil. neither does masking tape. duct tape however didnot let go.

I will suggest against the remington site in that position. It will be hard to see, a peep is much better so close to your eye.

If you like, I could snap some close-up pics of a couple of mine..

CW
[/quote]

CW, that maybe why H&R mounts them half way down the barrel. and Id love to see pics of yours. in order to get the peep to work Ill need to find a lower front sight. DR

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2009, 07:05:52 PM »
I didn't forget about you!!  Just had some company for the new years...

I'll Get the pics up for you tomorrow...when my head is more clear...

I'm back!!  Here is some pics for you..

This is my Handi, with a Contender front site and a Williams peep over the chamber. I also added a Pachmayr DEcelerator pad and a barrel mounted front sling stud, as this gun has a snap on forend.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline dangerranger

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2010, 09:46:52 AM »
    CW, I was comparing the pics of yours and trying to figuer out why that didnt work for me when I realised that the chamber area of mine is machined down. Im going to have to find or make a front sight .23 lower than my lowest sight. One other question tho, with the snap on fore end does it snap off during recoil? mine did a couple of times but only shooting slugs. while shooting shot it stays put. DR

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2010, 11:49:29 AM »
Here is another option for you with that front site..

This is what I have on my shorty Savage. IIRC its a Williams shorty shotgun ramp. One hole to tap and its on.

The for-end stays put on mine, but this only means yours may be slightly more worn in then mine...

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline dangerranger

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2010, 12:29:06 PM »
Thanks , Ill either keep digging or start filing. DR

Offline dangerranger

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2010, 01:57:55 PM »
I gave this one a little face lift while I was putting on the sights.  after shooting it with the lowest front sight I have it still shoots about 5" low at 25yds. so I guess its time to make one thats lower. DR

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2010, 01:20:08 AM »
I gave this one a little face lift while I was putting on the sights.  after shooting it with the lowest front sight I have it still shoots about 5" low at 25 yds. so I guess its time to make one that's lower. DR

Yup, That's the reason for the tape first!!  Keep at it you will find a combination that works for ya!!

OH not that it makes a difference, but your rear site looks backwards..

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2010, 01:58:25 AM »
CW  my compliments, that is the best sight setup you could come up with in my estimation. A big fat blade up front that leaves no room for ambiguity like a bead, and the WGRS on the rear. I like the WGRS so much that I modified one to fit a model 95 Marlin for a bear gun that I carried in Alaska. A real nasty blow could maybe knock the WGRS out of adjustment, but the same kind of blow would probably destroy an L shaped receiver sight. I think Williams makes a WGRS that fits the Marlin now.

Is that a contender front? I have used them on a couple of my set ups. I guess I should get my guns in to a smith and have some screws put in, I just JB welded mine on at the time and so far they just stay there. If one flys off when I am shooting and it lands in the weeds I may not find it and will have to start all over looking for the right height combinations.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2010, 02:38:35 AM »
Yup, its a conternder front site!!

I "USTA" be a contender nut..now I'm a handihaulic!!  ;D

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline STUMPJMPR

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2010, 03:14:55 AM »
I used locktite black magic. I think thats the name of it.  It worked great.  I have about 30 rounds through it.  It fell out of my jeep, and has been through a couple of thickets.  So far its a 2 years old and still holding strong.  I think my next one I am going to solder though.  They make that paste solder now.  It is mixed in with the flux and comes in a tube.

Offline MikeP

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2010, 02:26:16 AM »
bilmac, I found it amusing that you used JB Weld for your sights. I thought I was the only one that would do such a thing.

I cut the barrel of my 12 gauge to 19.25 inches about 35 years ago and used the ole JBW magic to attach front and rear rifle sights on the barrel. It's all still there!

I modified the gun like that to use deer hunting in rainy and bad conditions that I would not want to subject a less-tough gun to. All my rifles have scopes on them which don't work as well in the rain.
That old gun makes for a great brush shooter with buckshot when walking them up like quail, and is quite accurate for longer shots with slugs.

It even does well on bunnies and birds with the proper shot within 25 yards or so.

And it's sitting in my closet right now with a handful of buckshot nearby for home security purposes.

A more handy and versatile gun would be hard to find.

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (52)
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2010, 01:52:15 PM »
Gentlemen... you just solved my dilemna.
Now I know how to sight my shorty right. 
I even have  some JBW in the garage. 
Who's got the best prices on sights?

Thanks all.
Be Well.
Think as if you LIFE depends on it... IT does..!  Be Well...

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2010, 03:06:27 PM »
H&R has the best price on the Williams WGRS peep, about $30 shipped.

Tim

Offline FLNT4EVR

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2010, 12:48:16 PM »
Those are great sight setups. I have yet to shoot my shortie because the roads to the ranges are still closed due to mud conditions. I like my brass bead under 50 yds.But what you do is making me rethink my choice.With decent sights I coild stretch out my useful range a fair amount. Maybe another 20 yds or more. I must look into this.
" Act civilized...even if you ain't " 

" I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people , and I require the same from them. "
                                  John Wayne, "The Shootist"