Author Topic: broken forearm stud  (Read 505 times)

Offline Alice Cooper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
broken forearm stud
« on: December 30, 2009, 02:05:17 PM »
put a survivor stock and storearm on my pardner,and on the second shot the stud broke off at the weld.i'm surprized it didn't happen sooner,there was very little "weld" there to begin with. today I found a grounding lug that held the stud in perfect alignment,got out the torch, and brazed the stud in place,it won't be snapping off again! the heat did ruin my duracoat finish, but I think a good kryon camo paint job will suffice to keep the rust away in that area.I know it's too late to do anything about it, but have any of you brazed the stud onto a barrel? I don't see any problems with pressure blowing the barrel out at the heated site,but then again, i'm no genius...what do you say?
don't fry bacon naked!

Offline Alice Cooper

• Avid Poster
Re: broken forearm stud
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 02:06:46 PM »
neglected to say it's a 12 ga. barrel, not rifle...
don't fry bacon naked!

Offline peternap

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 02:00:39 PM »
neglected to say it's a 12 ga. barrel, not rifle...

Depends on how hot you got it. It's probably OK but slug the barrel and feel for anything strange in that area.

Offline Alice Cooper

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 03:49:07 PM »
thanks, i'll put the calipers on it.found my duracoat bottle in the fridge,mayhaps the hardener is still good,i'll coat it again and we'll see...
don't fry bacon naked!

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 06:13:33 PM »
I wouldn't be too worried about it, the USH barrels have the lug silvered on, that would have probably been the proper solution, but I bet you are OK.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.