Author Topic: WHO FOR CONVERSION CYL. FOR 51NAVY AND 60 ARMY  (Read 970 times)

Offline m-g Willy

• Trade Count: (0)
WHO FOR CONVERSION CYL. FOR 51NAVY AND 60 ARMY
« on: October 27, 2003, 12:34:34 PM »
Heard  people talking about conversion cyl. for  Colts but I can't find nothing but Remmington conversion cyl. Anyone know where I could get Colt cyl? Thanks for any info.--Willy

Offline Cheyenne

WHO FOR CONVERSION CYL. FOR 51NAVY AND 60
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2003, 02:57:02 PM »
R&D in Beloit Wisconsin is about to introduce drop in cylinders for the Colt type guns, as well as a conversion ring with loading gate for a more perminant conversion. They are the ones who designed the Remington cylinders sold by Taylor's & Co.  These will be marketed direct to the public instead of thru dealers and wholesalers, which will mean a better price for us....170.00 for the drop in kits and 200.00 for the conversion kits.

They are not out yet, and should be by Thanksgiving, just in time for the Christmas holiday shopping season.  :)
Duelist may be coolist, but it takes BALLS to shoot Frontiersman!

Grand Army of the Frontier #4

Offline Will52100

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2003, 05:22:18 PM »
Now that sounds like an idea!  Been wanting to here about something like this for a while.

Still think I'm going to wind up doing my own conversion though, want a 51 navy in 22LR! :-D
The thing about freedom, it's never free
www.courtneyknives.com

Offline Flint

conversion
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2003, 07:04:13 AM »
Although R&D is making a 51/61 Navy conversion. it requires removing the Wedge and taking off the barrel to load and unload.  Kirst (kirstkonverter.com) makes it in 38Special, you have to cut a loading port in the right breech like a Colt SAA.  There is no gate.  This system allows the revolver to be loaded and unloaded without dissassembly. I have two, they work fine, but require a Hollow Base Wadcutter bullet to open up to the 375 bore.  Search Kirst Converter and/or River Junction Trading.  There are hundreds out there being used, I'm surprised you haven't seen them.  Incidently, if you made one in 22 cal, you would definitely need a gate on the port or the rounds would back out and jam the cylinder while you are shooting.  You would also, obviously have to install a bore liner.  You would also be "manufacturing" a handgun....
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline Will52100

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2003, 08:02:07 PM »
Any thing to be concerned about?  Like BATF in the conversion of a C&P to 22LR?
The thing about freedom, it's never free
www.courtneyknives.com

Offline Flint

conversion
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2003, 08:18:40 PM »
Just in cutting a loading port in the Navy, the ATF says you are manufacturing a handgun, and it is only legal as long as you own it for your own use.  It cannot be resold.  Now if the buyer claims he made the conversion himself.......  The Remington fares better in legality, because if you install the R&D or Kirst without a loading port cut, you haven't modified the revolver, but it is easy to load and unload by swapping out the cylinder ala Clint Eastwood's "Pale Rider"..  Unfortunately the open top Colt really needs to be ported to be useful.  The 22 may be fun, but the Navy is more fun as a 38....

Offline MOGorilla

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2003, 02:09:47 AM »
How do you get a hold of R&D?  I tried their phone # for the last three days, no answer.  Do they have a website?

This is the number I tried.    608-676-5628

Anyone have any info.  I am fairly interested in a cylinder for the army.  What caliber will the 60 be in?

Offline Flint

r&d
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2003, 10:10:40 AM »
You can get R&D through Taylor's Forearms, Brownells or several others, search R&D conversion on the web.  Kirst through River Junction Trading or Ned Buckshot.

Offline Cheyenne

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2003, 12:16:50 PM »
The new R&D cylinders will be offered in both the drop in conversion, i.e.-pull the wedge and remove the cylinder to load/unload-no pistol modification required.....and a conventional type conversion with a seperate conversion ring with a loading gate that will load/unload through a port that will have to be cut by the user in the frame.  Once installed, it will look very much like the R-M conversion....firing pin will be mounted in the conversion ring with a threaded ferrel, and the ring/gate assembly will be color cased to better blend with the pistol it's installed on.

For the Navy or the Army, you can have a smooth cylinder, or for 40.00 extra have the proper cylinder scene engraved on it.

The cutting of the loading port makes the base gun a firearm....and there is no going back once it is done.  Doesn't matter if it's a Kirst or R&D set up, if you modify the frame, it's a firearm and removing the cartridge cylinder and installing the percussion one back will not change it, it will still be a firearm.

The R&D's will sell for 170.00 for the drop in, and 200.00 for the ringed conversion kits.

Models will be:
1849-32S&W caliber  (six shot cylinders/may offer five shot too) in both types of kits.

1860 Army- caliber 44 Colt(Uberti), and 44Colt(Pietta)-you will have to use a HB bullet or heeled, or have the barrel lined-both types of kits.

Additionally, for the Pietta Army only, a five shot 45Colt cylinder has been developed and will be presented to the TG's at the convention to see if any heartburn over the design and the built in safety features.

1851/612 Navy- 38Colt (38SPL WC too) in the ringed conversion kit.

Ejectors are being developed to be mounted on the guns without major modifications and that will look correct to the old Colt conversions.

R&D is building a web site and hopes to launch it soon, I'll let you guys know as soon as we can get it running.

Hope this helps some, I'm in the process of moving so will be out of touch for a couple of weeks.
Duelist may be coolist, but it takes BALLS to shoot Frontiersman!

Grand Army of the Frontier #4

Offline m-g Willy

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2003, 01:21:02 PM »
Hey thanks for the info :grin: --Willy