Author Topic: Anyone got a nice performing .358 load for a BLR that they would share?  (Read 314 times)

Offline smong2000

• Trade Count: (45)
  • Contributor
I'm starting over with my rebuilt BLR (long story but I damaged it with a diet of warm loads) and am looking for some tried and true loads in 358 Win for the BLR.  Don't believe it when you hear that the action is as strong as a bolt action.  Many of the published loads that I found were way too hot for my BLR and showed flat primers and flow back into the extractor at 3-5 grs. less than max.  I'd love hear some first hand experience and good loads for deer.  Maybe there was something wrong with my rifle when I got it but it has been repaired by MidWest Guns so should be 'perfect'. I have Hornady 200 gr SP and 200 gr FTX bullets on hand and am ready to work up some ammo.
Thanks guys. :D

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: Anyone got a nice performing .358 load for a BLR that they would share?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 07:16:06 PM »
I had a very early BLR in 358. the factory loads REALLY jumped when shot. I wanted something more pleasant to shoot and found a med load of IMR 4320 powder and a Hornady 200Gr SP was Thor's hammer on whitetails. I shot 8-10 and NEVER had one travel more then 50 yards. I even missed my mark one day on a running buck and hit him in the middle. There was sausage everywhere.. He went to the bottom of the hill and was lying in a stream when I got to him. Most others dropped in there tracks, thru and thru penetration. MAN that is a great whitetail caliber!!!

I now down load my Whelen to about 2500fps with This same bullet and get identical performance!!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline smong2000

• Trade Count: (45)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 04:00:28 AM »
Thanks CW!  ;) That's a new powder for me and I'll check it out. I like the idea of 2400-2600 with a 200 gr bullet for WT deer and the BLR is about perfect for a lefty hunting in the thick woods with some clearcuts and shots possible out to 250 yds. 
What rifle is your 35 Whelan in?
Hope some others chime in as well....

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 06:35:18 AM »
Quote from: smong2000 link=topic=194044.msg 1098983384#msg 1098983384 date=1262358028
Thanks CW!  ;) That's a new powder for me and I'll check it out. I like the idea of 2400-2600 with a 200 gr bullet for WT deer and the BLR is about perfect for a lefty hunting in the thick woods with some clear cuts and shots possible out to 250 yds. 
What rifle is your 35 Whelen in?
Hope some others chime in as well....

2500 is about the limit attainable in your 358 and that load will have a hefty kick and muzzle jump. Its mostly the design of the stock on the BLR. I remember having to put a death grip on the for-end, and purposefully wrapping my fingers around the top to keep the scopes ocular bell out of my eye socket!!

My whelen is a 1898 Argentine Mauser with a 26" Shilen barrel and a Bell and Carlson stock.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.