Author Topic: This has been driving me nuts  (Read 1433 times)

Offline vacek

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
  • Philippians Chapter 2
This has been driving me nuts
« on: January 01, 2010, 06:44:53 AM »
I gots to know.....

You all keep talking about pallet wood stocks.  Please explain.

Happy New Year,
No question too stupid to ask.

Offline Datil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
Re: This has been driving me nuts
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 07:02:57 AM »

Pallet Wood stocks is some kind of wood Prob Ash or elm  or some kind wood
 That is ceape Not a high grade stock wood.
 DATIL

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 07:35:43 AM »
Its kind of a slang for the lack of grain or much beauty to the birch wood that they are made from.  

Kind of a term of endearment, if you will...

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline thejeeper

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 07:44:22 AM »
All NEF/H&R wood stocks come from The American Walnut Co.. They are only a distributor to specific vendors and NEF/H&R (Remington now) is one of them. Obviously there are different grades to walnut and some look better than others. Typically, the $150 and less guns have lesser quality wood. My old .410 with colored case has nice wood, and it got even better when I stripped and sanded it down. A nice coat of Tru-Oil and it looks awesome. 
Barrack Obama - The most effective gun salesman in American History!!

A Liberal is just a Conservative that hasn't been mugged yet.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 08:05:40 AM »
I don't know who supplies the actual wood, but H&R makes all of their own wood stocks except the thumbhole lams in their new wood plant in Ilion, most of their stocks were made in Gardner before they moved, they even did their own hand checkering then, pallet wood stocks aren't walnut, they're a less expensive hardwood, beech or birch, commonly referred to as "pallet wood" here. Boyd's makes the thumbhole lams.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline thejeeper

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 02:59:18 PM »
FYI....as all of the equipment was moved from Gardner to the Remington plant in Ilion (about 1.5 hrs from me), I had a barrel that was being repaired on a .22. At that time, I inquired about the stocks because I was looking for a darker walnut color.  I was told they are made my The American Walnut Co. for H&R and they could not ensure a definite grain or color for me because of the varitey of wood. This can be verified by calling Remington. The long story is I had to wait six months to get my barrel back because it was originally sent to Gardner. Either way, H&R doesn't make anything anymore...it's all through the Rem plant. My family and I took a tour there this past Spring. Pretty cool stuff!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 08:26:45 PM »
Here's a quote from an email I got from the Marlin/H&R Brand Manager (at the time) that I received after he visited the Ilion plant in November 2008 just after they started up again....

"The new Assembly line is a big step forward from the old method. There is a new wood manufacturing process being installed and the one thing we are going to press is an improvement on wood to metal fit."

I wouldn't rely on much information you receive from Madison Customer Support, they notoriously give out misinformation, much to the dismay of many members here, many have called and got multiple wrong answers to the same successive question asked, in other words, you could call 3 times and get a different answer to the same question each time with a high probability that no answer would be correct!!  :-\

Tim

Offline Daman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
  • Me and Papa's first double!!!
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 03:11:50 AM »
I don't know where it was made or what it is, but the stock on my 7mm-08 Handi I got Saturday is beautiful dark wood with lots of grain and character! I have the Choate stock set for it but am going to sell it I think!
Live simple. Hunt Hard. Love Life.

I thank God everyday for my loving wife and all the fond memories of hunting with my Papa from a child until now.

Please take time to take a kid hunting, it will be a life long memory and blessing for both of you!

Offline thejeeper

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 02:03:51 PM »
Well I am not sure why any employee of the Gardner would elect to tell me "The stocks come from 'The American Walnut Company' " if they did not. That quote you received could be taken two ways. "wood manufacturing process" does not necessarily mean "we drop trees and cut/build/finish our own stocks", it could mean, "we take the stocks and enhance them for better fitment". Ya know?? Either way, I am not in any way shape or form concerned about who is right or wrong. All I know is what I have been told and have seen with my two eye holes! I can say they have always had fitment issues. I like to sand the stock down to match the receiver surface. It not only looks better, but feels more "finished". I also have been "lucky" with the appearance of the wood in their stocks so far. I started out with NEF/H&R and plan to continue that heritage with my own kids. One shot kills are the only ones I make.  8)

http://www.americanwalnut.com

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 02:06:53 PM »
I've looked at a lot of beech and I believe that's what pallet wood stocks are made from.  Birch frequently has nice grain.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 03:09:18 PM »
Quote from: thejeeper link=topic=194159.msg 1098986947#msg 1098986947 date=1262653431
Well I am not sure why any employee of the Gardner would elect to tell me "The stocks come from 'The American Walnut Company' " if they did not. That quote you received could be taken two ways. "wood manufacturing process" does not necessarily mean "we drop trees and cut/build/finish our own stocks", it could mean, "we take the stocks and enhance them for better fitment". Ya know?? Either way, I am not in any way shape or form concerned about who is right or wrong. All I know is what I have been told and have seen with my two eye holes! I can say they have always had fitment issues. I like to sand the stock down to match the receiver surface. It not only looks better, but feels more "finished". I also have been "lucky" with the appearance of the wood in their stocks so far. I started out with NEF/H&R and plan to continue that heritage with my own kids. One shot kills are the only ones I make.  8)

http://www.americanwalnut.com

What is missing from the equation is this is REMINGTON...  H&R is NEW to the people there. they are also quite likely NOT GUN PEOPLE!!  They are likely responding, thinking the H&R line is identical to the Remington line... The American walnut company is quite likely the company that supplies REMINGTON STOCKS... NOT H&R stocks.. OR if they do supply walnut, then the only make a couple H&R stocks because only a couple H&R firearms come with walnut!

Just my 2cents... its bed time...  tight all..

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 06:19:04 AM »
Well I am not sure why any employee of the Gardner would elect to tell me "The stocks come from 'The American Walnut Company' " if they did not.

As CW pointed out, I don't see what the heck Gardner told you has to do with what H&R/Remington is doing in Ilion! 99% of the employees in Gardner don't even work for H&R any more and didn't have a clue what Remington was going to do with H&R when they closed in summer of 2008, basically all they knew is they were loosing their jobs, only a few moved to Ilion, and a couple more to Madison.  ::) This isn't about right and wrong, it's about facts, the fact is the new wood plant was installed in Ilion, I just got this in an email from the Director of Product Management - Remington/Marlin Centerfire Rifles... "To answer your question, the H&R wood facility is in Ilion."

Tim

Offline thejeeper

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2010, 06:32:22 AM »
Great!  ;D So I was given incorrect information. Right, wrong, fact, fiction...none of that matters now. I am still going to use my NEF/H&R guns and rifles. Hope you do as well.

Offline thejeeper

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2010, 06:36:17 AM »
CW...into Jeeps? Have you been to CNYJEEP.ORG yet? I am thejeeper there as well. I use the tech forum a lot and help people with their mechanical/technical issues. I am ASE master certified as well as a Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master. Look us up if you haven't already.

Regards-

Mike

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2010, 10:57:42 AM »
Quote from: thejeeper link=topic=194159.msg 1098987557#msg 1098987557 date=1262712977
CW...into Jeeps? Have you been cnyjeep.org yet? I am the jeeper there as well. I use the tech forum a lot and help people with their mechanical/technical issues. I am ASE master certified as well as a Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master. Look us up if you haven't already.

Regards-

Mike

WILL DO!! No I haven't seen that site.

I am on www.comancheclub.com about as much as i am on here. my "club site is www.jonfund.com . You can't miss me on either place!! (same profile pic AND name  ;) ) ::) ;D

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline thejeeper

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2010, 02:07:06 PM »
i am the "Unofficial" tech guru/answer-giver-guy there. It is a lot of fun. We get together alot off road as a group and do monthly non-meetings where we eat and drink.  :D Check it out!

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2010, 02:38:28 PM »
I just registered, I'll check it out!!

SORRY for the hijack... ::) ;D

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline Tallwalker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2010, 03:42:58 PM »
At Ruger, it was referred to as "white wood", and could be any hardwood that was reasonably stable, machined well, and took a stain. Normally that meant Beech, or Birch as Tim said.