Author Topic: 17 mach 2 rebore  (Read 1794 times)

Offline WSMBUCK

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
17 mach 2 rebore
« on: January 01, 2010, 04:03:05 PM »
Can a 17 m2 be rebored to something else if so can yall give me some ideas of what? Thanks

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
Re: 17 mach 2 rebore
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 04:11:33 PM »
17 hmr?
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 04:33:27 PM »
A 17 Remington or possibily a Fireball, I believe Larry has done one or 2...

-Aaron

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 04:38:49 PM »
Any of the 17's would be easy, but it would be a shame to ruin a M2 because they are not making them any more.  You could probalby get a good price for it if you sold it off.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline Couger

• Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 06:17:26 PM »
Can a 17 m2 be rebored to something else if so can yall give me some ideas of what? Thanks

How about the 5mm Rem?  Give it a look.  It was ahead of its time.

However, twas it me I'd go with a .22WMR simply because its cheaper to feed than the 5mm, 17HMR or 17M2, or a tiny centerfire.

If that barrel will fit on any sb-1's oe sb-2's in your arsenal, you could try rechambering to .17 Hornet, 17AckleyHornet, or the 17Bee or 17AckleyBee, despite the softer [rimfire] steel that barrel is likely made of.

There are also the 19 and other 20 cals based on the Hornet or Bee, too.

Offline WSMBUCK

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 04:22:48 AM »
So how does the 17 rem. shoot i have seen a little about it but nothing on the fireball, i dont reload so would it be best for me to go with the 17 rem.?????????????

Offline Couger

• Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 07:00:44 AM »
Why not consider Trotter's point before permanently changing that "rare barrel?"  Bet you could get $75 + shipping for it, or more.

But in a "mod" my first choice to make a new "chambering/barrel"

would be to make it a .17 Ackley Bee.

The .17 Ackley Bee is a much more balanced and efficient round than the .17 Remy or .17 Fireball.  FWIW.

ADDED:  Noticed you said you don't reload.  If i may ask, why not?  ???  Otherwise why not just stick with a .223 in a centerfire?  And the .22LR and/or .22 Magnum in a rimfire?

The .17Fireball and .17Remington are not cheap to buy nor readily easy to find.  The .223R and two .22 rimfires are easy to find and not terribly expensive.  Think about it!   ;D   Good luck with your decision.

Offline WSMBUCK

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 09:20:28 AM »
I already have two 223 and one 22 lr  money isnt a proplem as far as shells go i am paying 65 bucks for a box of 375H&H so if i have to spend 30 for a 17 remy box so be it , i just dont shoot the M2 enough and i think the 17  remy would be a better PD gun out west then the M2 . LOOK IN CLASS. I HAVE THEM POSTED THERE.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 10:13:58 AM »
I can tell you from personal experience that a 17 Remington H&R will give you nothing but grief.  It is an extremely high pressure round, about 10,000psi higher than a 17 FB, it will stick cases no matter what you do to the chamber and the one I had showed poor accuracy.  The 17 FB is a totally different story in the Handi, I cannot tell you why, sort of like the grief many people have with the 243 Handi's, some rounds just aren't a good fit I guess.  Every FB I have built was a great shooter, whether it was a rechamber of a H&R barrel or a stub job.  Good luck, let us know what you make out of it.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline WSMBUCK

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 10:27:57 AM »
If i didnt have so many hobbies i would love to get it done to the FB but i have 2 many things going on now to start reloading , do any of yall know of someone that will load and sell me some Fb ammo????????  oh yeah how does the Fb add up to the Remy and far as range and energy?

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2010, 10:32:26 AM »
The factory 17 FB ammo is far easier to find than the 17 Remington, the FB has production rifles still being made.  The FB has quite a lot less energy than the 17 Remington, but still more than plenty for Coyotes with 25 gr bullets and PD's with the 20gr ones. Larry

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2010, 12:40:24 PM »
you aught to rechamber one of them.223's you got.. to 220 swift, talk bout some on-fire power :o
but you will run into the same thing when hunt'n for ammo, if you don't handload.

the 17hm2 is a fine lil shooter and most are deadly accurate. prolly the most accurate
sportster of all....

but your all good with your intentions, if thats what i wanted.... i'd make it   ;D
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline WSMBUCK

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2010, 09:13:01 AM »
ok guys my gun smith said it cant be rechambered to anything , do any of you know any one that has done it and could do another?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2010, 09:22:09 AM »
Maybe he meant it couldn't be rechambered and used on the SS1 frame which it can't, but on an SB2 frame it certainly can, several members here have had them rechambered to .17 cal centerfires.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2010, 09:28:27 AM »
Your gunsmith is incorrect.  I have personally done at least 7 and test fired them all.  I did them in 17 Remington FB, but 17 Remington and 17 Hornet would be just as easy.  I know of one done for a 17 Velociraptor which is a 5.7X28 case necked down.  Larry

Offline WSMBUCK

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2010, 09:36:54 AM »
He told me the rim fire  fireing pin would not hit the primer in the center of the 17 FB or Remy.and said something about the 17 mach 2 not beinging bored in the center of the barrell.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2010, 09:40:07 AM »
He's wrong about the bore unless it's a Versa pack barrel which I don't think has ever been made in mach2. Not only would the rimfire frame not function, it wouldn't stand the pressure of a high pressure centerfire round for long. He's obviously not very knowledgeable about H&R firearms.

Tim

Offline WSMBUCK

• Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2010, 10:01:52 AM »
Does anyone know of and good gusmith i might be able to send it to , to get done and what is the cost on something like this? Thanks

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2010, 10:09:00 AM »
Site sponsor Wayne York, he's done many rechambers and rebores for members here including myself. ;) Just don't be in a hurry tho, he's very popular. He's doing a rebore of a 243 Superlight to .264" for a 260 Remington for me right now, he expects the wait to be 3 months, rechambers usually take about 2 month or more. You'll also have to have some ejector notch work done.

Tim

Offline moorepower

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2010, 11:51:08 AM »
How many rounds of 17 fireball will the rifling take before it gets washed out? I had heard, true or not, that the rimfire barrels were softer. Possibly a 20 vartag after a rebore.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2010, 12:50:07 PM »
These have been done for a few years now and no one has reported shooting one out.  Larry

Offline moorepower

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2010, 01:02:57 PM »
It sounds like I will be sending in the mach 2 barrel for rechamber when I send in the .223 superlight for a rebore and rechamber.

Offline southernrifle

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2010, 03:34:42 PM »
Hi guys, I am new here so forgive me. No one adresed the rim-fire vs centerfire firing pin issue here. It sems to me that it would not line up.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2010, 03:38:37 PM »
Quick addressed it, you just need to know what a SS1 and SB2 frame are.  No, it will not work on the origional RF frame, but it will work perfectly on a center fire frame.  Larry