Author Topic: Ignition choice  (Read 1102 times)

Offline rebAL

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Ignition choice
« on: January 02, 2010, 03:00:29 AM »
For those with the option of setting up their Knight to fire #11's, musket caps, or 209's, what is your primer choice & why?  I had been shooting musket caps out of my T-Bolt  but want to change my powder to BH-209 which requires a 209.  I never liked using 209's because they were too difficult to load and dirty.  I was going to try Rem STS because they are supposed to be a lot cleaner.  If I can't conveniently use 209's then I won't use BH-209.  I want to get away from the crud ring issue of formerly used 777.

Offline slowfog

• Trade Count: (3)
Re: Ignition choice
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 03:36:23 PM »
 I prefer 209. I had terrible trouble with musket caps getting hung up in the bolts. If you want to get away from the crud ring go with a 209 primer designed exclusively for 777. There are a couple different ones out there. There less powerfull thus they don't push the powder off the breach plug causing the crud ring.

Offline rebAL

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 05:15:44 PM »
If you want to get away from the crud ring go with a 209 primer designed exclusively for 777. There are a couple different ones out there. There less powerfull thus they don't push the powder off the breach plug causing the crud ring.
Thanks slowfrog;  I was getting the crud ring using RWS musket caps & only 90 grains of 777???  Could these be hotter than special 209's?

Offline slowfog

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 11:24:18 AM »
I wouldn't think a musket cap would be more powerful than the 209.  I had a discussion with Knight about this and they seem to believe that these less powerful 209 were the answer. Another question is what Type of bullet are you using? If your using Powerbelts, dont. LOL

Offline rebAL

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 09:54:00 AM »
  I had a discussion with Knight about this and they seem to believe that these less powerful 209 were the answer. Another question is what Type of bullet are you using? If your using Powerbelts, dont. LOL
  I am using heavy conicals.  (400 grain white power punch & 460 grain no excuse both with bore buttons.)