Author Topic: Just picked one up. What can I exspect  (Read 1077 times)

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
Just picked one up. What can I exspect
« on: January 02, 2010, 07:13:01 AM »
Just bought a 9mm carbine. I know nothing about these guns. What can I excpect, prformance wise. what kinda range. What kinda groups at 50 yards. This years new toy ;D
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline jdwolf

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Re: Just picked one up. What can I exspect
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 10:09:53 AM »
Just bought a 9mm carbine. I know nothing about these guns. What can I excpect, prformance wise. what kinda range. What kinda groups at 50 yards. This years new toy ;D
Congrats on your new carbine. What really impressed me about these carbines was their accuracy.  I have 2 995 carbines and both will shoot 1 inch or smaller groups (depending on the ammo) at 50 yards.  At 100 yards I can easily hit groundhog size targets.  As far as ammo goes mine likes Winchester White Box FMJ, Blazer Brass FMJ, Sellier & Belliot FMJ, and Winchester Sub Sonics JHP.  

Help support concealed carry in Illinois,  show your support.  http://www.cafepress.com/sicc

Offline Bucker

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 04:34:40 AM »
My Dad just gave me one of these.  At 100 yards is this a coyote gun?  Do you scope them or open sites?  These look like stock sites anything maybe a little easier to see with out there?
Please be sure to check your gun at the door.  WHAT!

Offline .450Marlin

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 01:10:55 AM »
With a good bullet, I wouldn't hesitate to pop a 'yote at a hundred paces with a Hi Point; the accuracy is definitely there, and so is the follow up shot if you need it. I doubt I'd try and stretch the range much farther than that, but a hot 9mm load definitely packs some punch, especially out of a rifle. As for sights, the peep sights that come standard are good for what they are, and Hi Point seems to have made them finer recently. They are quick to acquire, and I can hit well with them; that said, an optic is definitely an accuracy bonus, and a low-powered fixed or variable scope is just the ticket for this gun IMO. A good red dot style sight might also work well on one. Either way, the Hi Point is an accurate, reliable, American made gun that is quite impressive for the price. The trigger isn't great, and fit and finish kind of reminds me of a World War II era military arm, but everything works, and works well ;)

Kind Regards,

~.450 Marlin~