Author Topic: loading the 30-06  (Read 283 times)

Offline kyhareraiser

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
loading the 30-06
« on: January 02, 2010, 08:23:30 AM »
 just sized ,and primed some brass to load so i can snd some down the new t/c barrel i got. i loaded some for a 1903 and was up to 50 gr but it would take yer shoulder out'a whack. i'm gonna try varget powder(47 gr.) and start with some speer 150 gr,hot core to sight it in with. #2 what is the proper way to break in a stainless barrel so i don't mess up the rifling of the gun.. any suggestions appreciated.. ;D  told y'all i'd have a lot of questions to ask when i first signed up ;D ;D guess i'd better say ,i've reloaded b4  ,because on one forum(don't go there anymore) they treated me like a knothead for asking reloading questions..i have reloading manuals and go by them ,i just get everyones opinion on hw much is to much,,after all accuracy is what it's about ,,right? :)
i wish i was just half the man,that my dog thinks i am

Offline shot1

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: loading the 30-06
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 09:11:36 AM »
There are no stupid questions. You can get some pretty dumb answers sometimes ::).
Your 47 grs Varget load for 150 gr bullets sounds like a good place to start. I have always found 51.2 grs IMR 4064 with 150 gr bullets to be very accurate in most any 30-06. This was the accuracy load in the 4th edition Sierra manual.
The question about breaking in a barrel will get you dozens of different answers. The most common way is start with a clean barrel. Shoot a shot and run a patch of with cleaner on it down the barrel then a dry patch. Shoot another shot and repeat for the first 5 shots. Then shoot 5 shots and clean the bore. Do this three times. Then clean after every 10 shots. Like I said you will get many different answers. I believe that many barrels are ruined by improper cleaning (using a brush too much) and cleaning too much. I don't use a copper remover in my bores until I see my accuracy start to go away. Then I use a limited amount. I have some Shilen and Heart SS barrels that were so slick from the get go that I just started shooting them.