Author Topic: Thumbhole Ultra Slug 12 gauge?  (Read 434 times)

Offline tansinator

• Trade Count: (0)
Thumbhole Ultra Slug 12 gauge?
« on: January 02, 2010, 12:31:54 PM »
Just purchased one.  Took it to the range.  Spent shells do not eject. Unfired shells will eject. I know this is not how it is designed.  Is anyone else having this problem?    Also tried 6 different types of ammo.  4 brands in 2 and 3/4 inch. I shot about 30 rounds, all fired but one.  2 brands in 3 inch.  The Winchesters fired fine.  The Remington Accu's had the light primer strikes and would not fire.  I have a 45/70 H@R that has had 6 cartridges(out of 80) with light primer strikes and did not fire. I have been told the weight of the hammer extension can cause this.  Is there a fix?  

Thanks in advance

Eddie

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: Thumbhole Ultra Slug 12 gauge?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 12:42:20 AM »
WELCOME!!
 The way the H&R fire-control works in the action, requires full reward pull of the trigger every time you fire the gun. If your not doing this reliably every time, you will see FTF.

Also check your firing pin protrusion. With the action open OR the barrel off the receiver, hold the hammer back, press and HOLD the trigger completely to the rear. Lower the hammer, still holding the trigger. the firing pin will protrude some .040-.050 from the recoil plate. If you have less than this, this could also be your problem. I have adjusted a couple of mine by facing off the top of the hammer, where it hits the frame. (Above the firing pin) You can now test this. With the hammer back, insert your finger in the hole where the hammer was, depress the transfer bar forward, into the firing pin until it stops. Now look at your firing pin protrusion. It should be doubly far out of the face. Now look at the hammer in profile, see the protrusion at the top? This is where a couple thousands of material can be removed to attain more firing pin protrusion. be careful to keep this surface true and parallel to its mating surface.

Now for the ejection problems...  On the side of the barrel. (With it removed) you will see three roll pins inserted in the barrel block. the one nearest to the chamber opening. Get a drift punch and tap this out. (Either way, doesn't matter) Nothing will come flying out. You may need to slightly pull the spring down, but the ejector will slide out to the rear, followed by a spring if you tip the muzzle up. Clean everything out in there really good. De-greaser and compressed air do this best. Re assemble. I like to push the piece protruding from the bottom up for alignment. Don't force anything, just look at what your doing, not rocket science here. It will go easily. Check function again.

Good luck and post up what you find...

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline tansinator

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Thumbhole Ultra Slug 12 gauge?
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 02:59:53 AM »
Thanks CWLongshot.  I will try what you told me.  Is there no truth to the hammer extension causing the misfires?  This is just what I've read on other forums.

Eddie