Author Topic: Keltec's new 22 mag pistol  (Read 4003 times)

Offline preventec47

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Keltec's new 22 mag pistol
« on: January 03, 2010, 08:51:01 AM »
I hope what they end up doing is offering an HMR version later
as it is just like them to grab a segment of the market that
no one else wants.

30 rounds double stack magazine capacity is awesome ! !

http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/images/pmr-30.pdf

I wonder that the street price will be ?

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
Re: Keltec's new 22 mag pistol
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 09:26:42 AM »
I want one, just wish it had adj sights.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 10:37:13 AM »
Wow that's quite an innovation I must say. I know rimfires don't get much praise as self defense guns and rightly so I think for the .22LR but I've seen what a .22 Mag from a handgun can do even from a revolver. But this is closed breech so will gain even more velocity.

The JHPs might not penetrate a lot of thick layers of clothing but a couple of 50 grain JHPs into the chest and it's all over for anyone. With 30 rounds ya could alternate FMJ and JHP and that would make one heck of a defense gun if ya ask me. Of course being fixed sights it would depend on it hitting close to POA to be useful beyond really close range but then most true self defense situations are gonna be so close that's not likely to be an issue.

This just might be the one to get me to buy a semi auto .22 Magnum. Well that is if I ever manage to come up with the bucks as it's been a LOOONG since I brought a new gun home.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: Kel Tec's new 22 mag pistol
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 10:47:42 AM »
I'm having deja vu.. Didn't another company also make a 30 rnd 22mag semi auto pistol???? ( The GRENDAL P30) I remember wanting it, but it was banned under one of the assault bans. Availability was very poor....

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2009/11/23/kel-tec-pmr-30-pistol/

I will definitely have one of these, along with a couple extra mags, if they do infant become a reality...

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 10:54:53 AM »
OK, need to make room in the safe......again.. ;D

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 01:55:33 PM »
Looks like another gun I have to get...
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 01:58:23 PM »
Group buy.

Cheese

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 02:10:07 PM »
Man thats the last thing I need ;D Are they availible yet. With an extra mag you got 60 rounds.
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 02:17:50 PM »
Says its avalible 2 of 2010.. unsure if that 2nd quarter of 2010 or Febuary 2010...   ??? Either way, I'm getting my order in at the store!!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 02:14:46 AM »
Well, so much for the 5.7, I'll be getting one of those new ones.  Yep, Grendel made a 22 mag semi-auto and many times I wish I had one but this one looks too good to pass up.  I can easily see a field load that includes a couple of extra magazines - probably never have to reload the darn thing.

I would like to see how it performs.  Possibly Gun Tests magazine will run a test on it. 

Offline hunt-m-up

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 04:21:00 AM »
I would like to see a review as well. Hope it functions well with all those little rounds shoved in there double-stack. Man, that would be a fun shooter.
Crosman Slingshot, Daisy Red Ryder, dull butter knife

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2010, 04:25:29 AM »
How is the availability for ammo?
It would be a good sidekick too the 5.7.
Anybody want a 5.7 ?
I don't know, I sure like the 5.7 but the ammo would be better in a mag.
Dang decisions.
Group buy sonds good--anybody here that can put that together?
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Brett

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2010, 02:40:13 AM »
I want one, just wish it had adj sights.

Cheese

They should make two versions a standard varsion as pictured and a "target model" with adjustable sites.

Man, I was just thinking about trampsing around in the woods with my 10/22 with a couple of 30 round banana clips and one of these PMR-30 pistols with a couple of 30 round magazines.   ;D
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2010, 03:42:57 AM »
Looks like a winner, IF it is reliable and accurate, that's a couple of big "IF's" yet to be decided. Since it is an all new design I'd be surprised if there aren't a few bugs to be worked out. I won't be in line for one since I am quite happy with my old AMT .22 mag. I have a Burris fastfire sight on it and it is accurate enough that from a rest I can hit anything I can see. The CCI 30 grain loads clock over 1700 fps from the 6" barrel. The .22 mag is a great field cartridge from an accurate handgun.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline rogertc1

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2010, 05:50:25 AM »
KelTec came out with the same gun in the 80's.They just did a remake.

Offline fr3db3ar

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2010, 06:50:09 AM »
Well then, they should have all the bugs worked out.   I really like this as a carry gun option.  I don't care what people think about the 22mag.....it's a killer round AFAIC.
Aim Small, Miss Small

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

When they come for your guns, give them the ammo first.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2010, 07:13:11 AM »
Group buy.

Cheese

That's what I'm thinking. 

22mag ammo isn't as cheap as it used to be.  Didn't used to be much more than 22LR in my area, but now you're lucky if you find a box of 50 for less than $14.  I just picked up a ruger mark III 22LR so I'll have to wait for you all to write reviews before I go buying one.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2010, 09:53:53 AM »
id love to have a 22 mag auto loader but that ones just got to many bumps for me. My best friend has an old auto mag one and its a ball to shoot.
blue lives matter

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2010, 10:38:07 AM »
Quote from: teddy12b link=topic=194427.msg 1098987601#msg 1098987601 date=1262715191
Quote from: Cheesehead link=topic=194427.msg 1098985940#msg 1098985940 date=1262566703
Group buy.

Cheese

That's what I'm thinking.  

22mag ammo isn't as cheap as it used to be.  Didn't used to be much more than 22LR in my area, but now you're lucky if you find a box of 50 for less than $14.  I just picked up a ruger mark III 22LR so I'll have to wait for you all to write reviews before I go buying one.

I just placed my order!!
 That ammo issue only an problem if one needs to buy 22mag ammo... ::) ::) ::) I am lucky to have a small quantity left over from my Ruger Varmint77 I bought and sold some years back. (Most of a case of mixed FEDERAL left at the bottom of my ammo locker!!)

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2010, 10:58:54 AM »
Well done!  Now you know you have obligated yourself to a full range report once you've had a chance to take it to the range.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2010, 11:01:17 AM »
Quote from: teddy12b link=topic=194427.msg 1098987766#msg 1098987766 date=1262728734
Well done!  Now you know you have obligated yourself to a full range report once you've had a chance to take it to the range.
  You can count on it!!! BUT, as it goes so many times with brandy new firearms... We may not see any one these till the fall.
I don't even know exactly how much its gonna cost, but its ordered with 2 extra mags!!

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2010, 11:04:22 AM »
LOL.  It's the thought that counts I guess.  Hopefully some time this year we'll all get to read about what a great gun this is.  I think it'd be ideal in a lot of situations.  30 rounds of 22mag is no joke especially with all the new ammo that's out there now. 

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2010, 11:27:38 AM »
Quote from: teddy12b link=topic=194427.msg 1098987771#msg 1098987771 date=1262729062
LOL.  It's the thought that counts I guess.  Hopefully some time this year we'll all get to read about what a great gun this is.  I think it'd be ideal in a lot of situations.  30 rounds of 22mag is no joke especially with all the new ammo that's out there now. 
I completely agree!!

For me as long as its accurate, is going to make a country carry or woods/back-country carry gun. It will easily do a good job of a grouse, or squirrel while being big enough for a porky pine, meriting feral dog, fox or even coyote. It would serve the purpose against the two legged varmints as well. Hopefully there will be a good holster available. With luck its mags will fit a already available mag holster too.

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline Camba

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2010, 03:27:03 PM »
Looking at the 4 hex screws on the top, I am wondering if they could be used for placing a scope base to add ared dot on it.  Just curiosity ;)

Camba

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2010, 03:49:19 PM »
Looking at the 4 hex screws on the top, I am wondering if they could be used for placing a scope base to add ared dot on it.  Just curiosity ;)

Camba

I was thinking the same thing.

Cheese

Offline cybin

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Contributor
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2010, 05:23:12 PM »
If I happen up on one of these--I'd be thinking about putting laser sight in front of the triger guard--similar to the Crimson Trace for the Ruger .380.

cybin

Offline jcn59

• Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2010, 07:02:51 PM »
The website(?) on the first post lists velocity with 40 grain as 1230 fps, and suggested MSRP as $415.

Velocity seems a bit meek.   How fast does a .22 mag squirt out of a single six barrel?

My 6" Taurus .218 bee revolver shoots 40 grain about 1900 FPS.   No where near max load but if I load it any higher, the cylinder begins to lock up.  The 30-35 grain loads go as high as 2100 before it locks up.  Again, not max loads.

My 3" S&W airweight revolver shoots good 40 grain HS ammo about 850 fps.
Vote them all out, EVERY election!

Does anyone remember the scene from "Quigley Down Under" showing the aborigines lined up on the skyline as far as you could see?   That needs to be US!
NRA Life Member

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2010, 02:34:23 PM »
jcn:  Nice Avatar. 

I wonder about the velocity; it does somewhat understated.  I thought the 22 mag was supposed to get about 300+'/sec better than that from a closed chamber.  The velocity listed sounds more like a HS 22lr than a 22 mag.  Who knows, we'll just have to buy some when they come out and find out for ourselves. 

I wonder though about the grip size.  I hefted a 5.7 FN the other day thinking the 22 mag's grip wouldn't be any different, thinking they may be similar as they are both long cartridges and I have to tell you I wasn't enthralled with the grip size and am a bit concerned the PMR would be the same......  just a thought.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2010, 12:03:25 AM »
Quote from: Lloyd Smale link=topic=194427.msg 1098987723#msg 1098987723 date=1262724833
id love to have a 22 mag auto loader but that ones just got to many bumps for me. My best friend has an old auto mag one and its a ball to shoot.

Lloyd,
 I had two of these years ago as well. I really liked the 6" barrel. It shot very well and worked great...until the gas system blew thru the casing. Blowing off the rim and leaving the "sleeve" of the case in the chamber...... Got it fixed, but it wasn't the same. it would jamb readily. I returned to the factory and traded for a newer 4" barrel. This shot fine, but I never liked it as much as the 6" barrel. I sold/traded it off some time after.

The grip will be long, but shouldn't be too bad. Its plastic and shouldn't need allot of thickness to gain rigidity. Time will tell, but I'm hoping I am rite and it will not be an issue...

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2010, 03:55:40 AM »
I'm too lazy this morning to walk down to the shop to look up the actual data but off the top of my head I think 40 grain loads do "around" 1500 fps and some 30 grain bullets get over 1700 fps from my 6" AMT. It is the most accurate handgun I own and with the exception of scope sighted T/C contenders the most accurate handgun I've ever owned. The .22 WMR is a great hunting round from rifle or handgun. People complain about the cost of ammo but they don't mind paying for shotgun shells, the cheapest of which cost as much or more than .22 mag. It is a bit costly to plink off a couple of hundred rounds but to shoot in a new gun and then hunt with it ammo cost is no concern even to miserly old me. ;D

rogertc1  The photo you posted is not a KelTec, it's a Grendel P30, perhaps some relation but not the same.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.