Author Topic: priming tool  (Read 1107 times)

Offline luckydawg13

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
  • A Real Regular
priming tool
« on: January 03, 2010, 11:50:05 AM »
what type of priming tool do you like
kids that hunt and fish dont mug old Ladies
and drive a F150

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: priming tool
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 11:53:22 AM »
My first and only priming tool is a RCBS Hand Priming Tool. Before that I used the swing arm on the RockChucker. The Lee Auto prime has a popular following, but I have never used one.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 11:55:06 AM »
The only hand priming tool I have used is the RCBS one.
It works good enough for me.
90% of my reloading is done on a Hornady progressive press with no need to hand prime

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 11:59:10 AM »
Haven't used anything but a Lee Auto Prime for the last couple hundred thousand or so primers I've put into brass. Likely won't use anything else the rest of my life.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 12:06:40 PM »
Haven't used anything but a Lee Auto Prime for the last couple hundred thousand or so primers I've put into brass. Likely won't use anything else the rest of my life.

+1  Not quite that many-I don't think-but several thousand anyway.  I keep two on the bench- 1 large and 1 for small
Butler Ford
He who does not punish evil, commands it to be done.-Leonardo da Vinci
An armed society is a polite society-Robert A. Heinlein
Only the dead have seen the end of war- Plato
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey
tomorrow I may have to eat them- A lady's sweatshirt

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 12:28:17 PM »
I'm not loading for volume, so the swing arm on the RCBS press works just fine for me yet.  ;)
found elsewhere

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 12:43:50 PM »
I have worn out two LEE hand primers. I will not proclaim to top Bills numbers, but...  ::) ;D

I like press mounted "RAM" prime tools. Most manufacturers make them, mine is RCBS. I also have the RCBS auto priming system APS. Its good and I do like it, but for the cost I cannot see it as very cost effective. Truth be told, I wouldn't even have it if it haden't been offered to me for a such reduced cost.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline luckydawg13

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 12:58:32 PM »
thank you all i think i will put the lee hand primer on my list now i need a good powder measure what do you like
and drive a F150

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 01:03:28 PM »
Quote from: luckydawg13 link=topic=194454.msg 1098985854#msg 1098985854 date=1262563112
thank you all i think i will put the lee hand primer on my list now i need a good powder measure what do you like

Don't for get, that the LEE primer needs special proprietary shell holders, standard units will not work...

I'll again recommend the RCBS unit, second the LYMAN and lastly only because of price the REDDING measure.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 01:08:13 PM »
+1 Lee Auto Prime
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline chevyone

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2010, 01:09:50 PM »
Lee Auto Prime
That's all you need
Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens!!

You can't fix stupid!!!!!!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2010, 01:19:56 PM »
++++ on the Lee hand primer, buy two, they're inexpensive, set up one each for large and small primers, put a little lube on the parts when you assemble them as directed in the instructions and they'll last a long time, most handloaders will never wear one out. One set of shell holders has all common sizes, a regular shell holder can easily be converted to work by annealing and cutting the base off if you need one Lee doesn't make or isn't available locally, I've converted a few RCBS and Hornady that work just fine.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2010, 01:22:59 PM »
I've got two that are many years old.  The little fulcrum will sometimes break if you don't clean the primer pocket and try to force things....(at least thats what I've heard), so I keep an extra on hand.  I've got a press mounted primer, (Lee), don't like it.  I've got a press mounted RCBS, don't like it either.  I've got a bench mounted Lyman, too slow.  Haven't found anything better than Lee auto prime.
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2010, 02:16:37 PM »
I use the Lee Auto Prime, it works great.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline Bullseye

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2010, 04:12:30 PM »
I have used the Lee, RCBS standard hand primer and the RCBS strip hand primer and the bench mounted RCBS strip primer.

My favorite is the bench mounted RCBS if I am loading a large volume.  If loading small quanties I use the RCBS hand strip primer.  If you need to load the strips it is kind of a pain, but I have never had a jam like I sometimes got with the Lee and standard RCBS hand primer.

The Lee was my least favorite and I got rid of it years ago, if for not other reason because it needed special shell holders.  Some of my RCBS's do not even need a shell holder.

Offline Blackhawker

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2010, 04:40:06 PM »
Quote from: luckydawg13 link=topic=194454.msg 1098985854#msg 1098985854 date=1262563112

Don't for get, that the LEE primer needs special proprietary shell holders, standard units will not work...

I'll again recommend the RCBS unit, second the LYMAN and lastly only because of price the REDDING measure.

CW
An additional reminder:
Lee warns users to use only Winchester or CCI primers in the hand priming tool. 
I've been using the same Lee hand primer for over 20 years and hundreds of thousands of loads, however, when I load with Federal primers, I use the ram primer on my Lee press instead....albeit a pain in the butt.

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2010, 05:11:24 PM »
Lee Auto Prime is my favorite- but like Quick said, it will last a lot better if you lube some of the parts - just don't let the lube get up where it touches the primers.  I keep 2 on hand 1 for large and 1 for small primers. I've worn out one tool and got repair parts from Lee. Cleaning and lubing   bearing surfaces now and then will help it last.  I've tried Cabelas (think it was actually Hornady) that didn't work well at all. And I tried an older RCBS that I didn't like -pre strip system.  Now just stick with Lee.  Though if I were doing large lots, over 300 at a time I'd look for a bench mount. My thumb does get tired with the Lee. But I usually do 50 to 200 round lots.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2010, 05:35:47 PM »
Just keep the Lee lubed and it will last almost forever. I've broken one and I suspect I let it get a bit too dry not paying attention.

I've loaded about every brand of primer out there using the Lee Auto Prime. They might have a good reason to say use only those two brands but the main reason I can see is the huge box Federals come in. It is a royal pain to get them into the tray unlike CCI and Winchester.

If you use the press mounted arm you have to pick up and hold each primer individually in your hands. My skin is quite oily and has killed a few primers or so I assume as I had a few failures to fire until I went to the Lee and haven't had one since.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2010, 06:36:42 PM »
I have both the Lee and RCBS hand primers and I can tell you the Lee is way more ergonomic. Do a hundred cases with the RCBS and your hand is worn out. I got the RCBS because it uses standard shell holders used in your press. Some of the Lee shell holders are compromises that don't fit oddball cases very well.

Offline patw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2010, 12:12:08 AM »
Another vote for the Lee auto prime.  Like others I keep one for large primers and another for small primers, at 13 bucks apiece, why not.  If I am going to load a lot of ammo, I will use the Lee auto prime 2 press mounted primer to save my fingers.  Reading this thread was the first time I learned about lubing the autoprime.  I need to learn to read directions.  That may be why I have had one break on me.

Offline tc scout

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Contributor
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2010, 01:02:59 AM »
I have only used one, the Lee Auto Prime and it works great for me.
Just never could understand why all the others cost so much, when they all do the same function.
The strongest reason for the
people to retain the right to keep and bear arms
is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Blackhawker

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2010, 03:32:59 AM »
Just keep the Lee lubed and it will last almost forever. I've broken one and I suspect I let it get a bit too dry not paying attention.

I've loaded about every brand of primer out there using the Lee Auto Prime. They might have a good reason to say use only those two brands but the main reason I can see is the huge box Federals come in. It is a royal pain to get them into the tray unlike CCI and Winchester.

If you use the press mounted arm you have to pick up and hold each primer individually in your hands. My skin is quite oily and has killed a few primers or so I assume as I had a few failures to fire until I went to the Lee and haven't had one since.
I can't agree more about the Federal packs not being convenient to use with the primer trays.  Each primer has to be handled individually and I hate doing that!  The only solution to the problem is to use a funnel and pour them on the tray but by that time you've got em moving fast and risk them bouncing all over the place.

As for oily hands, I typically wear latex or nitrile gloves when I load.  
1)  It helps keep the lead and other heavy metals down off my hands when loading cast bulllets....(I have little ones and I'm the cook at home).
2)  It keeps the oil from my hands off of the primers, powder and other components.
3)  Handling brass tends to dry the heck out of my hands and wearing the gloves keeps the moisture on them.

You might give it a try if you so desire.

I guess I didn't mention this in my last post:
I've only used one priming tool and have never needed to try another......the Lee Auto Prime.  Still have the same one from 1985 or 86 with two primer size trays.  I has never malfunctioned and has never worn out....just like most of my Lee loading stuff.  Their stuff is low priced and lacks the bells and whistles of the other brands but it always gets the job done for me.

Offline wncchester

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2010, 03:59:09 AM »
I had heard that the Lee Auto Prime was good but prone to break the lever so I got two so I would have a spare ready - they are that inexpensive!   That was some 20 years ago, haven't broken anything yet.  BUT, if a primer won't go in I stop, find out why and correct it.

The dedicated shell holder issue is real but not real important.  If you think you will load for one cartridge the rest of your life buy that one and forget it.  If you expect to load two or more cartridges, get their very inexpensive primer shell holder kit and you're set for most anything.

I've not found it difficult to load Federal caps in the primer tray at all, I just dump them one row at a time, right out of the box.

For high volume re-capping, I use Lee's Auto Prime II on a little Lee "Reloader" press.  Great system!
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline luckydawg13

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2010, 04:48:07 AM »
thank you all for the info lee is the one  :D
and drive a F150

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2010, 10:14:47 AM »
I've tried that one row at a time from box thing myself but my short fat fingers and that option are not a good combination. I'll wind up dropping a few onto the floor no matter how carefully I try.

My solution is to turn the box upside down over a few sheets of printer paper and then to carefully let them slide down it to the tray. So far that seems to be working better than any other option I've found yet but still isn't perfect. I have them only in small pistol magnum and only that because they were the only SPM primers I was able to get my hands on and I had run out. It's better than not having any SPM primers but admittedly for me it's a poor option at best.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2010, 10:47:02 AM »
I've got 1 each of the RCBS and Lee hand tools.
Like them both just fine.
I've had the Lee since I can't remember when.
Still operates flawlessly.

But I find myself using the swing out arm on my press as much as anything.
Seems once I get to the reloading bench I don't want to leave.... ???
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2010, 03:07:32 AM »
I think that this will be +9 for the Lee Auto Prime...I use just a touch of white grease on that round cam wheel as well as the post and notch. This little tool has Compound leverage making it easy to feel when the primer stirrup just does touch the bottom of the Uniformed (in my case) primer pocket. Many will reckon that this seating does more good than trickling the powder to top off the exact weight.

To load the Lee, I point the tray straight down then align the primer box to it then quickly righten the tool. Sometimes the primer packaging, say like federal, will be large for the tray size so I will just slide the cover to dispense 50 of them. Sometimes the primers will be packaged on edge and when you dump them in the tray, a few will remain like that!...when this happens you just have to tap the bottom side of the tray with a finger and 9 out of 10 times, they will fall right side up. What I really like about using the lee other than the precise seating is that I almost never have to touch a primer which can be a contamination risk.

Lee did (perhaps still does?) recommend using safety glasses (always a good idea) when using the auto prime because of a few reports of primer detonation while using this product.
I have never had this happen and believe that in the cases where it did happen, the user double clutched that lever and picked up two primers to be loaded into one pocket! It is a no brainer though to insert a case then press the lever only when ready to seat.

Offline jlchucker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2010, 04:55:16 AM »

+1  Not quite that many-I don't think-but several thousand anyway.  I keep two on the bench- 1 large and 1 for small

Exactly what I do, ButlerFord45.  They don't cost much, and by adding a Lee shellholder set for one of these, a person pretty well has it all covered.  Plus, if one ever malfunctions (sometimes operating levers break after long periods of use)  the other is a handy backup. 

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2010, 05:01:50 AM »
Odd man out here. If I'm not loading on the Dillion, and using the turret, all my priming is done with a Hornady hand primer. Uses the same shell as your press. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman