Author Topic: Blooded the 25-06  (Read 755 times)

Offline geezer56

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (102)
  • Contributor
Blooded the 25-06
« on: January 03, 2010, 03:32:12 PM »
I finally got one with the 25-06.  It was the biggest deer of my life.  Hunting in South Alabama, over a green field, also watching a timber company roadway.  He crossed the road about 120 yds from my tree stand.  One shot (DUH) with Rem 120 gr factory load.  Hit one rib going in, 2 going out, about 1/3 of the way up the body, just behind the shoulder.  I found about half of his lungs in the roadway, Ray Charles could have tracked him.  He went about 45 yds and piled up.  Aged him at 4 1/2 yrs, by the teeth.  He weighed 174 lbs, 14 1/2 in. inside spread, 15 in main beams, 5 in dia at bases, 8 point.  Not a monster, but nice, by local standards.   He was the biggest deer killed on our lease in the last few years.  I'm still grinning.

Offline wayne24

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Blooded the 25-06
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 03:37:06 PM »
Nice job  !!!! hope you got pics
Wayne

Offline yukondog

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (43)
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 04:08:05 PM »
Congrats on a nice deer. Pitchers man we need pitchers.
an unloaded wepon is equal to the same mass and volume as a rock.

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 04:26:55 PM »
Good for you! That IS big for your neck of the woods!
found elsewhere

Offline Cottonwood

• Trade Count: (5)
  • "Capturing the moment, to last a lifetime"
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 04:48:45 PM »
Congrats!

Offline Daman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
  • Me and Papa's first double!!!
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 02:35:08 AM »
Geezer

Where in South Alabama are you located? I am in Washington County! So I know fr a fact that was a GOOD buck for these woods!
Live simple. Hunt Hard. Love Life.

I thank God everyday for my loving wife and all the fond memories of hunting with my Papa from a child until now.

Please take time to take a kid hunting, it will be a life long memory and blessing for both of you!

Offline geezer56

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 04:43:34 AM »
I actually live in NC.  I go down to Covington Co. near Florala twice a year to hunt with my Father In Law and Brother In Law.  I've been going there for 12 yrs now.  Best deer I ever got there, very few better by anyone else.  They have got a couple with bigger racks, but never one any heavier.

Offline Daman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 05:42:01 AM »
Well congrats! I have hunted South Alabama deer all my 21 years and have only killed three or four with any size to them. 1 ten point, 2 eights and a huge 6

I thank God everyday for my loving wife and all the fond memories of hunting with my Papa from a child until now.

Please take time to take a kid hunting, it will be a life long memory and blessing for both of you!

Offline geezer56

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 05:15:58 PM »
I've killed several bucks down there over the years.  Two small 7 pts, a 6 pt, a 5 pt, and one decent 8 pt.  We started a QDM program about 10 yrs ago.  NO spikes, a legal buck must have at least 3 pts on one side.  Only one of those, then 4 pts minimum on one side for the other 2 that Alabama allows.  Since we started the program, average wt of bucks has gone from 125 lbs to 145 lbs.  Doe wt has gone from 90-95 lbs to over 100, with 110 about an average.  We have gone from killing 3 or 4 does for every buck to about even numbers.  Total harvest is about the same as before.  I thought they were ruining the hunting by making it too hard to kill a deer, but I was wrong.  We have 3600 acres, so it works on our place.  Smaller acreage might not work so well, but it has worked for us.

Offline Daman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 03:12:04 AM »
We do sort of the same thing. We hunt around 2500 acres and only shoot six points and better. Also we must kill one doe per buck (we had a lot of does when we started). We are all now regularly passing on average 6 points because most of our 6 points are two year old deer now.

Offline briannmilewis

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 10:44:27 AM »
There is a really good article on Chuck Hawk's website about the 25-06 and elk hunting with the heavy loads...Enjoy!
http://www.chuckhawks.com/why_25-06.htm

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 12:17:14 PM »
I finally got one with the 25-06.  It was the biggest deer of my life.  Hunting in South Alabama, over a green field, also watching a timber company roadway.  He crossed the road about 120 yds from my tree stand.  One shot (DUH) with Rem 120 gr factory load.  Hit one rib going in, 2 going out, about 1/3 of the way up the body, just behind the shoulder.  I found about half of his lungs in the roadway, Ray Charles could have tracked him.  He went about 45 yds and piled up.  Aged him at 4 1/2 yrs, by the teeth.  He weighed 174 lbs, 14 1/2 in. inside spread, 15 in main beams, 5 in dia at bases, 8 point.  Not a monster, but nice, by local standards.   He was the biggest deer killed on our lease in the last few years.  I'm still grinning.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.